Glock 26 Gen 3 / Gen 4 Part Interchangeability [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 26 Gen 3 / Gen 4 Part Interchangeability

methochris
01-19-2013, 08:22
Just picked up a Glock 26 Gen4 and now I will retire my Gen 3 to the safe as a "parts backup" piece.

I've been googling around but can't seem to find any definitive answers to these questions:

- Is there absolutely any parts between Gen 3/4 Glock 26 that can not interchange 100% reliably (besides mag release)?

- Gen 3 slide works on Gen 4 frame? Gen 4 slide on Gen 3 frame?

- Does Gen 4 trigger bar (with dot) work reliably in Gen 3?

Thanks for any insite!

up1911fan
01-19-2013, 08:25
Trigger housing and mag release.

methochris
01-19-2013, 08:53
Trigger housing and mag release.

isn't the extractor 'integrated' in the trigger housing? so i can't swap extractors between the 2?

onearmsteve
01-19-2013, 09:39
recoil spring

njl
01-19-2013, 10:49
isn't the extractor 'integrated' in the trigger housing? so i can't swap extractors between the 2?

That's the ejector, and it's just friction fit into the housing...you can pull them out, at least I know you can with Gen3 and earlier.

The extractor is the little metal piece sitting in the slide at the right/rear of the ejection port. It's what actually pulls (extracts) the cartridge case from the chamber when the slide is cycled.

methochris
01-20-2013, 14:21
recoil spring

i have not heard of the recoil springs being different. Is this documented anywhere?

onearmsteve
01-20-2013, 14:35
my bad your right the sub-compacts always had the double recoil spring.
sorry

pizza_pablo
02-16-2013, 23:27
So, is there no definitive reference as to whether or not slides will interchange between Gen 3 & Gen 4 sub-compacts?

DannyR
02-17-2013, 06:03
Gen3 & 4 subcompact slides and RSA's are identical.

voyager4520
02-17-2013, 07:13
- Is there absolutely any parts between Gen 3/4 Glock 26 that can not interchange 100% reliably (besides mag release)?
The trigger housing and magazine catch. You can swap the ejectors between trigger housings and use a Gen4 ejector in a Gen3 trigger housing and vice versa, you need to pull the trigger housings out of the frames and use a pair of pliers to pull the ejector out of the housing, then slide the new one into the housing until it won't go in any further. When I put a Gen4 ejector in my Gen3 G27, I wrapped the teeth of the pliers in masking tape to ensure it wouldn't scratch or gouge the ejector.

The ejector slides out of the trigger housing toward the muzzle, but the housing must be removed from the frame before you pull the ejector out because part of the frame covers part of the ejector and you may damage the frame if you try to pull the ejector while the housing is still in the frame. Here's a picture showing which way the ejector slides out: http://i39.tinypic.com/os8nxx.jpg

- Gen 3 slide works on Gen 4 frame? Gen 4 slide on Gen 3 frame?
Yes.

- Does Gen 4 trigger bar (with dot) work reliably in Gen 3?
Yes, but any time you change the trigger bar or firing pin you should check the engagement between the trigger bar tab and firing pin lug with an Armorer's slide cover plate. With the slide forward and the trigger forward, at least 2/3 of the trigger bar tab surface(vertically) should be covered by the firing pin lug. If it's any less the gun may malfunction or even fire multiple rounds per trigger pull in a rather unreliable fashion.

pizza_pablo
02-17-2013, 16:44
Beautiful. Thanks to DannyR and voyager!

Now, do I get a Gen 4 26, 27 or 33?
I have a 27, with 40-9 LDW and 33 barrels. The wife has a 26. Both are Gen 3.
I reckon which ever is available between 27 & 33.....but....if I get a 26, I can always use the 27 slide, for carry.
Decisions, decisions.....dang interchangeable Glocks. :supergrin:

ETA: I thought I wanted a Gen 4 23, for the first Gen 4 purchase....now I may have to get another 27, first.
I don't know....maybe actual availability with be the deciding factor.