FTE getting to be a problem [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : FTE getting to be a problem

9mmmountaineer
01-19-2013, 07:48
I have a G19c and I love the gun but it would be the last one I'd trust my life to... I keep having failure to eject. Caused me some problems in a tourney last night and it's getting old.

It's happened with Tula, WWB, federal, PPV? (not positive on the acronym). All cheap ammo yes but what gun is built to work on only expensive practice ammo?

I need help, how to fix, what to buy, when to sell. What can I do to stop this reoccurring problem

Thanks ahead for the help

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

INEEDMILK
01-19-2013, 08:03
You need to give the internet more information if you are asking for an analysis.

Failure to eject how?

Stovepipes? Is the case getting stuck in the chamber?

Have the FTE problems always been present, or did they start randomly a certain amount of time ago?

Are there any aftermarket parts or modifications?

Did you buy the pistol new?

9mmmountaineer
01-19-2013, 08:48
All stove pipes
bought the gun used well taken care of
had less than 300 rounds when I bought it.
I have in 6 months put 1k+ rounds through the gun
Gun ran good the first 300 rounds roughly.
So problem became regular 600 rounds roughly
After that 12+ FTE
No limp wrist
Gun is 100% stock
Cleaned regularly

Dave.1
01-19-2013, 09:29
Take a look at your ejector and extractor. Mostly I would look at the extractor claw for chips or carbon build up, also make sure the ejector is not deformed or chipped.

With this low a round count I wouldn't really think the slide would need to be detailed but I would do it any way just to look at the extractor. Be sure to clean all the carbon off the extractor. Pics here to show the slide detail if you haven't done it. There are probably youtube videos too.
http://www.glockmeister.com/FiringPinReplacement.asp

I don't own a compensated barrel so I really don't know what type of power loss takes place on recoil. Stove pipes could be an indication that you need a weaker recoil spring to be able to cycle the pistol (or more powerful ammo), but I would think that would have shown up right away.

Dave

01-19-2013, 10:05
also consider letting someone else shoot the gun...I'm not saying you are the issue, but it won't hurt to check.... my female neighbor has a 19c... she was constantly getting ftf shooting 124gr aguila...like six or seven per mag...( she also has a g26 that shoots the same ammo just fine)... she kept saying it was the 19c... so I shot her 19c and ran a few mags of the same crappy ammo through with maybe a couple ftf total...I told her to run her 124 federal hst through it and it ran just fine... turns out to be a combination of weak aguila ammo + her weaker grip on the gun that caused the issues... the ported barrel would lose maybe 50-70 fps from what I read so normally it shouldnt be an issue (I shoot a 32c regularly)...

F106 Fan
01-19-2013, 10:20
I need help, how to fix, what to buy, when to sell. What can I do to stop this reoccurring problem

Thanks ahead for the help

This crap with Glocks has been going on for far too long! Personally, I would sell the gun and be happy for it. Get one of the Springfield Armory XD9s and call it good.

Or, you can search through the HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of threads on the same topic right here on GlockTalk. You might find that the Apex extractor will help (if available for your model) and that some updates from Glock might as well (if your gun doesn't already have them).

Then I would try NATO 124 gr running at 1200 fps. This might have a high enough power factor to cycle the gun. It is amost certain that Federal Champion 115 gr at around 1000 fps does not.

That the compensator helps reduce recoil doesn't necessarily help with slide velocity. Using anything less than a full power 9mm probably won't work out well.

If your gun does indeed shoot the NATO 124 then, if you want to shoot very much, you will have to start reloading. You can load these for about $120/1000 or $6/box of 50. See the Reloading forum here on GlockTalk for more info.

Richard

F106 Fan
01-19-2013, 10:23
And, of course, you can chase the problem down a rabbit hole by installing a lighter recoil spring which will probably require a lighter striker spring which will sometimes fail to light off a round (unless they have Federal primers) and, pretty soon, you will have your very own Frankengun!

Seriously, find some stout 124 gr first.

Richard

Made in Austria
01-19-2013, 10:43
Check the extractor claw for chips. Also, if you are familiar with detail stripping the slide, take the entire extractor mechanism apart to see if there is any foreign matter in there and check for any broken or missing parts, wrong or missing spring loaded extractor bearing, broken extractor depressor plunger spring, etc.

I have seen a few Glocks where the extractor depressor plunger unit was inserted with the wrong side into the depressor plunger channel, which then can cause extraction issues.

To the ammo, WWB is not bad. It works great in all of my 9mm gen4 and gen3 Glocks. WWB and a other rather cheap ammo does not work great in Glocks which have extraction issues, aka as Brass to Face issues, because Glocks with issues need hot ammo and an perfect master shooter grip to help compensate issues with which the gun came out of the box. Some problematic Glocks are not fixable and need to be sent back to the factory for a replacement gun.

DannyR
01-19-2013, 11:41
The "C" models bleed off some of the energy, so it is best to use hotter ammo. Try some Winchester 124-gr NATO spec ammo, or get a non-ported factory barrel.

Bill Lumberg
01-19-2013, 13:24
If you're having failure to eject with commonly available factory ammo, it has nothing to do with the porting. No hotter ammo is required. You have a different problem. Dragging the slide with any part of your hand or finger? Tried replacing the recoil spring assembly? Wipe down clean or actually clean? Check for chips as noted above.

Lone Wolf8634
01-19-2013, 14:24
I once had the same problem with my Gen2 19. Ran fine after I got it then started having FTE issues. Turns out it was gunk buildup in the extractor. Cleaned it out and never had an issue again.

9mmmountaineer
01-19-2013, 14:25
Detailed stripped and cleaned and I guess I'll try to find the NATO 124gr but ammo is scarce round these parts

kodiakpb
01-19-2013, 16:55
My 19C does not require hotter ammo. It functions 100% on cheap WWB and Federal Champion. There is something else going on.

herricane
01-19-2013, 20:05
My 19 gen 4 would fte 114 grain of any kind. It never had a problem with 124 grain.

Ryobi
01-20-2013, 05:42
No need for hotter ammo. See lone wolf's post

pat701
01-20-2013, 18:50
The old owner got rid of it because of the problems. I think we may see a lot of used newer Glocks on the market because of BTF, and weak ejection problems.:crying:

Bill Lumberg
01-21-2013, 06:19
Good for me. Most of the issues tend to clear up if you have an FFL transfer the gun from the internet to the hands of an experienced shooter. Most, but definitely not all. This one may be the exception to the rule. My money is on a dirty extractor.

9mmmountaineer
01-21-2013, 06:30
I've cleaned the extractor and it wasn't bad, no brass flakes really just a little black, but shouldn't have been a problem.

I have cleaned it before and the problems never stopped.

I'll keep trying to figure it out I guess, but I'm still kinda pissed that I bought the gun to carry and I can't trust it.

INEEDMILK
01-21-2013, 08:30
I've cleaned the extractor and it wasn't bad, no brass flakes really just a little black, but shouldn't have been a problem.

I have cleaned it before and the problems never stopped.

I'll keep trying to figure it out I guess, but I'm still kinda pissed that I bought the gun to carry and I can't trust it.

Chronic FTEs mean that there is a part broken or missing from your gun. If the gun was at factory spec, then it wouldnt have regularly occurring problems.

I'm guessing your ejector has been bent, or there is something preventing your extractor from holding the casing of the rim.

My suggestion, aside from taking it to an armorer, is to take a bunch of pictures of the internals like extractor/ejector/EDP (if you can) so we can have a look to see if everything looks normal.

Bill Lumberg
01-21-2013, 08:45
Milk is right. This is not normal, not a design or inherent issue with the gun. Chronic FTEs mean that there is a part broken or missing from your gun. If the gun was at factory spec, then it wouldnt have regularly occurring problems.

I'm guessing your ejector has been bent, or there is something preventing your extractor from holding the casing of the rim.

My suggestion, aside from taking it to an armorer, is to take a bunch of pictures of the internals like extractor/ejector/EDP (if you can) so we can have a look to see if everything looks normal.

FyreCalG17
01-22-2013, 19:02
This may be a moot question, but does the gun have the latest ejector and/or recoil spring installed. My Gen 4 19 was doing that for a while, but after sending it back to Glock, they put the latest ejector and recoil spring in it and the gun has been perfect ever since.
Might be worth looking into.

DJ Niner
01-23-2013, 01:04
Ok, you're going to think I'm nuts, but I'd like you to try this, and let me know if it fixes the problem. No BS; you gotta TRY it, not just TELL me you tried it. Look at it this way; if it works, it was a cheap fix, and you will learn something about your pistol.

Clear the weapon (double-check!), and disassemble/field-strip it, removing the RSA and barrel from the slide.

Pinch the tip of a cotton swab in a pair of pliers so it is flattened, spray or dip some cleaning solvent onto the flattened end, and use it to scrub-out the grooves in the slide where the frame rails are positioned during operation. Clean the full length of each groove. Use several swabs for each groove; keep cleaning a groove with new swabs until the last one comes out clean. Even if you have cleaned them before, I bet you'll get more stuff out with this method.

Then do the same flattened-swab-in-the-groove thing, but use your favorite lubricant on the swab. You don't want it dripping or in any way over-lubricated, but make sure the full length of both grooves are lubed.

Reassemble, function-check, and test-fire at a safe location. Let me know if anything changes. The only reason I suggested this, is I have actually seen it make a difference in the reliability of several Glocks that were having problems (they functioned better, or in some cases, went all the way back to "perfection").

DJ Niner
01-23-2013, 01:09
BTW, the other folks that mentioned the ammo power levels were probably onto something, too. My G19C and G17C will shoot the Federal Champion load reliably, but even when the pistols are clean and lubed, the cases barely flip out of the ejection port. Most will be on the ground within 5-6 feet of my feet. WWB is better, but not much better. I've never used the other brands.

Bill Lumberg
01-23-2013, 04:05
I've used everything from crap to custom loads, and most everything in between. White box/CCI/you name it. Zero function issues over more rounds and more years than I like to admit. Unless the factory ammo is faulty (would cause a problem in any gun), it's simply an ammo issue. That said, if you're tweaking handloads trying to get as low as you can go, then you might have an ammo concern.