Mag question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mag question

tlcmbc
01-19-2013, 15:04
I was told the other day by a LEO friend that I may have a problem someday. I load the mag, rack one, then put one back in the mag. He says I should not replace the one I rack because it will cause problems with the spring in the mag and could cause a failier to feed.This does not sound right to me. Has there been problems? Also, should I unload the mag from time to time to realese spring pressure, I have heard yes and no need to. Oh, I carry a G17.

skyboss_4evr
01-19-2013, 15:21
He's wrong. And no, there's no need to unload the mag to save wear and tear on the spring.

LASTRESORT20
01-19-2013, 15:26
He is wrong.

lyodbraun
01-19-2013, 15:28
LOL yes the only problems would be having one less round.... It's not going to hurt anything doing it like you do...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Leigh
01-19-2013, 15:30
Possibly he is confused and was referring to bullet setback which is indeed possible?

tlcmbc
01-19-2013, 15:54
Ok forgive my stupidity but what is bullet setback?

Kentguy
01-19-2013, 16:16
tlcmbc,

Spring tension will lose integrity most by stretching the spring not by compressing it. Load em up and you can leave them like that for quite some time.

Bullet set back - Bullet setback - YouTube

JT
01-19-2013, 16:20
When the OAL of the round is reduced by having the bullet summarily pushed further into the case by the force of recoil or a loaded round hitting the feed ramp on a semi-auto barrel. The latter would be more likely when a round is cycled more than once. This can cause pressure peaks or misfeeds -- neither desirable. Not an issue in just topping off a mag as stated in your situation.

westy39
01-19-2013, 16:41
He is Sooooo wrong I carried my G20 and then my G22, both duty weapons, in that exact configuration. I put one in the hole and then topped off the mag. I never had any problems of course this is only based on approx. 7 years with the G20 and 8 years with the G22... So I guess it is possible that after an extended time of say 30 to 50 years there might be some possible malfunction. I am retired now and I still carry my G22 with one in the hole and the mag is topped off, hey it has never failed me.

uaengineer
01-20-2013, 10:03
He's wrong and your mags are fine. What if on your "springs are resting" day someone decides to kick in your back door? Buy more mags/springs if its a concern.

Contact
01-20-2013, 20:36
He's totally right. In fact, you've probably already ruined the whole gun, not just the magazines. Send it to me and I'll ensure it's properly disposed of.

cowboy1964
01-21-2013, 03:13
It's a little easier (IMO) if you use a separate magazine with only one round in it to chamber the first round and just leave your full mag alone. Minor distinction though.

Also, some guns make it fairly difficult to insert a full mag with a closed slide. In those cases I would prefer to not carry +1. I figure the extra tension *may* potentially cause problems plus if for some reason in a crisis if the mag gets dropped (intentionally, unintentionally, whatever) then I want no hassles with reinserting it.

4095fanatic
01-21-2013, 05:42
He's totally right. In fact, you've probably already ruined the whole gun, not just the magazines. Send it to me and I'll ensure it's properly disposed of.

:lol:

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Bill Lumberg
01-21-2013, 07:09
Wrong on all counts. I was told the other day by a LEO friend that I may have a problem someday. I load the mag, rack one, then put one back in the mag. He says I should not replace the one I rack because it will cause problems with the spring in the mag and could cause a failier to feed.This does not sound right to me. Has there been problems? Also, should I unload the mag from time to time to realese spring pressure, I have heard yes and no need to. Oh, I carry a G17.