Thinking about a Ruger lcr [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a Ruger lcr

cosmose
01-19-2013, 15:40
Hi guys, been thinking about picking up a new carry gun and the Ruger Lcr has caught my eye. I use to own a rossi snubbie in 38special but never could really shoot it well, I could always shoot my lcp better. everybody brags about the lcr trigger pull and from what i hear it's a lot lighter and smoother? what do you guys think about them?

thanks for any info.
also any pics would be awesome:)

JLM63
01-19-2013, 15:45
I love mine. Had it almost three years now. A little over 1500 rounds. It's carry time has dropped off as I pack a G36 most of the time now. It's great for pocket carry in jeans.

datnvan
01-19-2013, 16:01
my only regret is not getting it in .357. the .38 and .357 almost weigh almost the same and thru all of this ammo shortage, there is PLENTY of .357 on my stores shelves.

cosmose
01-19-2013, 16:17
I love mine. Had it almost three years now. A little over 1500 rounds. It's carry time has dropped off as I pack a G36 most of the time now. It's great for pocket carry in jeans.
how does it compare to the 36 for carry? I'm looking to get something in between my lcp and glock 30sf for carry
my only regret is not getting it in .357. the .38 and .357 almost weigh almost the same and thru all of this ammo shortage, there is PLENTY of .357 on my stores shelves.

I will probably go 357 and carry 38's just for the versatility but i got a feeling 357 magnum out of it would be something else:wow:

DRJ1911
01-19-2013, 16:22
I love mine, Much better trigger than my J frame's. I only pocket carry mine but it carry's very well.

P.S. I liked mine so well that Santa brought my wife one for CHRISTMAS.

Doyle

Boats
01-19-2013, 16:30
I will probably go 357 and carry 38's just for the versatility but i got a feeling 357 magnum out of it would be something else:wow:

There should be no probably about getting the magnum. The extra length of the cylinder is negligible and you double your chances to find factory ammo or widen the development possibilities for loads made on your reloading bench.

Nakanokalronin
01-19-2013, 16:37
The LCR has the best out of the box trigger pull I've felt on a snub yet. I have however switched over to a 642 with Apex spring kit and my own DIY polish job on the contact points which just edges out over the LCR.

Know that the .357 is over 3ozs heavier than the .38spl if you plan on pocket carrying.

GlockFish
01-19-2013, 16:45
I'd get one. They're nice. But I'd get the 357 version. Just because, you know, you could shoot 38+P and 357 in it too.

Navitimer
01-19-2013, 18:16
I've got the .357 and love it. As expected it's got some recoil, but the Hogue tamer grip helps. I vote you go for it! I also put an XS big dot tritium on the front blade.

JLM63
01-19-2013, 18:58
how does it compare to the 36 for carry? I'm looking to get something in between my lcp and glock 30sf for carry

No question the LCR is easier to carry than the 36, but it's really an apples and oranges comparison. I bought mine with the XS front sight and boot grip, then bought the Crimson Trace and standard Hogue grips later. It wears the CT grips all the time now. Here's a target from my last outing, testing some handloads. I'm completely satisfied with it accuracy-wise. This is at 10 yds at an indoor range, 158 gr cast bullet and 3.8 gr WW-231. I really want Ruger to size it up to create a 5-shot .45 ACP version but I'm not holding my breath.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/20/harydu4a.jpg

bigdough666
01-19-2013, 19:09
I love mine, carry it almost everyday. I don't know why people puss out about shooting 357s out of it, it's not that damn bad. I carry it with 357s and carry 357s and 38s on speed strips for reloads.

Deployment Solu
01-19-2013, 21:09
Got the .357 for me and the .38 for the wife. Both fill the role of a second gun. Easy to carry. Great accuracy and reliability.

09crue
01-19-2013, 21:33
i have the lcr in.38 cal,just prefered the lighter weight over the .357 version.IMO the 4 extra ozs makes a huge differance when pocket carrying..no regrets buying the lcr,has been a great gun.

Nakanokalronin
01-19-2013, 22:13
Also know that a .357 out of snub has no advantage over a .38spl +P other than more blast and recoil. The very small barrels just don't let enough of the powder burn and do what the .357 is supposed to do. My suggestion is to shoot .38spl and .38spl+P only no matter which one you get.

GlockFish
01-20-2013, 00:08
Also know that a .357 out of snub has no advantage over a .38spl +P other than more blast and recoil. The very small barrels just don't let enough of the powder burn and do what the .357 is supposed to do. My suggestion is to shoot .38spl and .38spl+P only no matter which one you get.

Nonsense. It's been proven over and over again.

A 357 magnum round will always -Always - beat a 38+P round out of the same length barrel.

Breadman03
01-20-2013, 06:01

A 357 magnum round will always -Always - beat a 38+P round out of the same length barrel.

Yep. But the velocity of a .357 Mag out of a snubbie will be comparable to a .38 out of a longer barrel.

How big of a hammer will fit in your pocket? How much punch would you like that hammer to deliver?

OP, where do you plan on carrying the pistol? If pocket or ankle carry, the weight difference may be more important. On your belt, much less so.

ftlupton
01-20-2013, 06:17
We have 3, 1 .357 & 2 .38's. Wife shoots lights out with hers and she is tiny, most guys on the line can't match her at 10yds. Great for hiking, we carry shot loads for 1std shot and hard cast 160's for the rest.

ithaca_deerslayer
01-20-2013, 06:28
Nothing wrong with the LCR :) But you still will have a short sight radius, making accuracy at distance difficult, if that was your problem before.

hoghunter82
01-20-2013, 07:51
I painted the sight post white for easier target recognition. I really liked the LCR but ended up selling it. It was an issue caused by me. I kept short stroking the trigger causing it to lock up during fairly rapid fire. I think it's because the trigger was actually too light that I was cycling the gun too fast. Again, that's my fault in not adjusting to the gun and i could have trained myself by spending more time with the gun. But I couldn't guarantee in a SD situation that I wouldn't short stroke it so I just moved on.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

ithaca_deerslayer
01-20-2013, 09:08
I really liked the LCR but ended up selling it. It was an issue caused by me. I kept short stroking the trigger causing it to lock up during fairly rapid fire. I think it's because the trigger was actually too light that I was cycling the gun too fast. Again, that's my fault in not adjusting to the gun and i could have trained myself by spending more time with the gun. But I couldn't guarantee in a SD situation that I wouldn't short stroke it so I just moved on.

I think that part of the Ruger trigger is a problem for some others too. It has a different reset than a Smith. I'm not sure if the reset is actually longer, but it feels longer.

J.R. Bob Dobbs
01-20-2013, 10:10
I painted the sight post white for easier target recognition. I really liked the LCR but ended up selling it. It was an issue caused by me. I kept short stroking the trigger causing it to lock up during fairly rapid fire. I think it's because the trigger was actually too light that I was cycling the gun too fast. Again, that's my fault in not adjusting to the gun and i could have trained myself by spending more time with the gun. But I couldn't guarantee in a SD situation that I wouldn't short stroke it so I just moved on.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

I also traded mine away because of the short stroke lockup issue.

Rustin
01-20-2013, 11:10
I don't think there is currently a better 24/7, 365 gun out there. I got boot grips on the .38 spl model which makes it come out to 13 oz. unloaded. The 4 ounces is enough to consider getting the .38 IMO for pocket carry. I plan on getting the .357 version some time down the road however, simply because it would be easier to shoot .38 spl. +P's out of it, and it's always a good idea to have a backup to your favorite carry gun.

Nakanokalronin
01-20-2013, 12:38

Huh, I guess the multiple videos of Gel tests with 4 layers of denim that show a different conclusion then yours must all be rigged. Using the same weight in .357 and .38spl +P show the max difference in penetration to be 3-4" at the most. .357 usually goes around 23 inches where the .38spl +P goes around 19-20 inches. Both will get full expansion as long as quality HP ammo is used...and I mean both. If we start going up the barrel sizes then yes, there is a difference.

I know about the velocity differences between the two out of snub, but just because the .357 goes about 200fps faster in some cases, it does not mean the performance is better. Just check out the tons of tests on Youtube with various bullets, weights and what-not from a snub.

ETA: Just as a back note, I've owned more than a few .357 and .38spl snubs and am not recoil shy in the slightest. Even a heavy "snub" like the SP101 is a handful with .357 rounds although fun and the only snub I would want to shoot a .357 out of...out of an Airweight or poly framed snub, forget it. Even a .38spl +P is brutal from an airweight unless you have some pretty cushy grips like what the LCR comes with, some full size Hogues or something like the CT 405s.

Performance wise, there really isn't any disadvantage in having .38spl +P out of snub over a .357 as long as we're talking the same snub barrel length and brand of bullet. Sure, I can pick a premium .357 and show how it out performs some random generic or poorly constructed HP in .38spl +P but I'm talking same brand and weight of bullet from the same snub barrel length.

The fact that most people buy .357 magnum snubs is because they can shoot .38spl too. Most either practice with .38spl out of them and thrown a cylinder or two of .357 down range and carry the .357 or only practice with and carry .38spl (+P) from them alone. Why anyone would practice in one caliber and carry another is beyond me, but it's because people want that .357 but hate shooting it in the lightweights. A snub is hard enough to practice with, but adding more recoil and blast for maybe 4" max more penetration over the 19" a .38spl +P can get which is still 7" over the minimum of 12" is just not enough of an advantage, if an advantage at all.

As an added note, Although the 135 grain Gold Dot +P .38spl seems to be the favorite choice for .38 or .357 snubs, it's too bad Federal won't make HST in .38spl+P or .357. That's my round of choice in 9mm and 45acp and I'd really like to see what they would do from a snub.

steven07
01-20-2013, 13:53
I love mine, carry it almost everyday. I don't know why people puss out about shooting 357s out of it, it's not that damn bad. I carry it with 357s and carry 357s and 38s on speed strips for reloads.

I love mine & have really no problem shooting 357 out of it. I am sure without the houge grip & the gel insert I would have a much different opinion.