Newbie questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions

Riversub
01-19-2013, 18:42
Hi All,

First time gun owner here - I've started with a gen 3 G19 and love it!

A couple of probably silly questions:

1) When cleaning it I noticed some moisture/lubricant/solvent in what I think is the firing pin channel at the rear of the slide. It is down in the groove located behind the round pin. I was going to take a q-tip to it but didn't want to remove it if it was lubrication from the factory. I may have inadvertently gotten some solvent in there but would think that would have dried out. Any advice?

2) Out of 230 rounds down range or so I've had 4 or 5 shell casings land on my head. No FTE, no FTF just a few that didn't come out sideways. It is not a major issue but I'm curious if this is a common experience. I was using 115g FMJ. I've read the many threads on BTF but there doesn't seem to be a consensus on possible causes. Maybe that is because there are many reasons :-)

In any case, I'm really enjoying my range visits and even dry firing to work on my grip, trigger pull and stance. I hope I never have to use it but do feel better having a firearm in the house for protection as well.

Great forum and thanks for any insights.

JohnnyTactical305
01-19-2013, 18:49
When I got my G26 I had a one case eject at 6 o'clock and another hit my right forearm, both with 115g FMJ. After switching to 124g FMJ ejection was alot better. After reading alot of BTF post everywhere who knows what the problem really is.

Lone Wolf8634
01-19-2013, 18:50
1. No lubricant should be in the striker channel. If there is, get as much out as possible. when you get comfortable detail stripping the slide, get it all out. That area should be dry.

2, IME shells coming towards the shooter is a "limpwristing" problem. Not to say that there are not other causes, but pay attention to when it happens, I can make my shells go behind me by how much I allow the gun to jump in my hand. If I stiffen my wrists back up they fly at a 90 degree angle or even towards the front.

Enjoy your 19, I love mine!

Arc Angel
01-19-2013, 19:12
Here ~ http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/blog.php?b=581

Dooger
01-20-2013, 01:37
Before I even shoot a new Glock, I detail strip it and start from square one. YouTube is your friend for that.

I also make sure I remove all of the anti-seize lube...

Bruce M
01-20-2013, 02:17
I would not field strip it before shooting it as that is not recommended in either the manual or the armorer's manual. Both recommend that the gun be cleaned and lubricated before shooting and both recommend that the copper colored anti-sieze be left in place.

Ryobi
01-20-2013, 05:55
No need to field strip. Don't overlube and you'll be fine. Don't obsess over brass as long as its leaving the gun. Tweaking over brass travel is a recent obsession similar in nature to worshipping Justin Beiber.

Shiloh228
01-20-2013, 06:16
No need to field strip. Don't overlube and you'll be fine. Don't obsess over brass as long as its leaving the gun. Tweaking over brass travel is a recent obsession similar in nature to worshipping Justin Beiber.
Not confusing "field strip" (RSA, barrel, slide) with "detail strip" (lots of internal stuff). ?

I have some friends (married couple) with a G19 each -- newbies, who are getting a lot of training, including something called (I believe) "Glock anatomy" which teaches detailed stripping -- basically all component parts. My reaction (wisely kept to myself...) was that the $$ would be better spent on SD training and range time. Personally, I can't imagine the need for detail stripping my Glock.

My $0.02...

Bill Lumberg
01-20-2013, 07:50
No need to detail strip.

lethal tupperwa
01-20-2013, 08:16
no need to remove the anti sieze

the YouTube is not always your friend!

people know how to post but know squat

about what they are posting.