Advantage Arms .22 LR Conversion Kit for G19 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Advantage Arms .22 LR Conversion Kit for G19

scotzz
01-19-2013, 19:59
Anyone have experience with the Advantage Arms .22 LR conversion kit for G19 Gen 4?

Havasu
01-19-2013, 20:14
Last time I priced one I decided it was cheaper to just by a .22 pistol.

scotzz
01-19-2013, 20:34
Last time I priced one I decided it was cheaper to just by a .22 pistol.
True in some cases but if I don't need a permit for the kit then it makes sense. (NJ requires a permit for each handgun)

ken grant
01-20-2013, 06:46
Luv the AA Kits. Have 5 and they work great with the right ammo. Mini-Mags and Remington Bulk G.B.'s work the best in all of mine.

2 ea. G19/23 Kits (Target & LE)
1 ea. G21
1 ea. G30
1 ea. 1911

Also Ciener for 1911, Ciener for AR and M261 Military for M16.

Also have .22 pistols and rifles but use the kits most of the time so as to practice with what I carry.
Most range trips I shoot a couple of mags full caliber, install kit and shoot ever how many(couple of hundred rds.) and then finish up with full caliber again so as to stay current with the noise and recoil.

jtrudel31
01-23-2013, 10:51
Has anyone tried the one they sell at glock store.com??

ken grant
01-23-2013, 16:05
Just bought another AA Glock 19/23 LE Kit. It is my 6th kit and my 5th Glock kit.
The magazines are totaly different from my other Glock Kits.

The mag body looks unlike any I have ever seen and the floor plate is molded into the body and can't be removed. I don't know how you could clean them or replace any insides such as springs or followers.

The feed lips are metal and the mags WILL NOT dropfree as all my others.

There is no mag loader and the foam insert for the mag has not been cut for a loader.

Wonder when and why the changes in the mags?

1RoundEye
01-23-2013, 17:16
I have one. As others have said they're a little on the pricey side, but if you want to practice cheaply with your GLOCK it's the way to go. In the box they give you a few different ammo manufacturers to choose from for it to run reliably.

For what it is, I like it a lot.

Edit: I guess my kit is one of the older ones, because I don't have any of the issues that Ken describes. I received the mag loader, all my magazines are plastic with removalable floor plates, ...

allegro
01-23-2013, 17:39
At under $300 to my door, mine has paid for itself many times over.

I have run about 6K through mine and little to no issues. I feed mine Remington GB's and most all the FTF's are mag related.

I did have some serious issues, but sent the kit back to AA, it arrived in less than a month later repaired with a lengthy explanation of what they did.

All in all, a great way to punch holes in paper or hit practice-targets with minimal cost.

ken grant
01-23-2013, 17:42
I am thinking the kit I bought today is older than my others I was talking about.
I just removed the barrel and the slide has a 10-01 date in it.
Maybe I have an older kit with older mags that have been replaced with newer mags in current kits

PS---just found out the mags in the kit I just bought are the older ones.

ken grant
01-23-2013, 17:48
Opps!!!!!!!

ken grant
01-23-2013, 18:19

Older Kit and Mags

jamaicanj
01-23-2013, 22:08
The AA kit is well worth it. I've bought two kits from cmcgov. They are $275 at cmc http://www.cmcgov.com/store/pc/Advantage-Arms-c228.htm

All the best

1eyedjack
01-24-2013, 08:26
The AA kit is well worth it. I've bought two kits from cmcgov. They are $275 at cmc http://www.cmcgov.com/store/pc/Advantage-Arms-c228.htm

All the best

I check their site every couple of days and they are ALWAYS out of stock - The "ADD TO CART" button dosen't show up on any of the AA kits... :crying:

SteveKolt
01-24-2013, 08:57
I just checked also...still no stock.

1eyedjack
01-24-2013, 09:03
I have been looking for months and several of the sites note a wait of a few months to a year if you place a backorder. Midway shows the kits as being discontinued by the manufacturer...

diamondd2
01-24-2013, 09:07
True in some cases but if I don't need a permit for the kit then it makes sense. (NJ requires a permit for each handgun)

If you are in NJ, call caso's in jersey city. I got mine there. Only waited a week for it. Well worth the $300. Works great with remington golden bullets.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

JustAHack
01-24-2013, 20:48
I have been looking for months and several of the sites note a wait of a few months to a year if you place a backorder. Midway shows the kits as being discontinued by the manufacturer...

The only place I've ever been able to buy them is off Gunbroker.com, at a premium. I did luck out and stumble across one at a gun show brand new for a great price, and bought it immediately.

Even paying inflated prices on Gunbroker.com, they are well worth it, and pay for themselves pretty quickly. And you don't have to wait months to get one if you buy on Gunbroker.com. I was price gouged on the last one I bought recently, but was glad to get it at all.

Of course, these days, unless you already have a healthy stockpile of .22LR, you won't be able to find any to shoot in it. :crying:

scotzz
01-24-2013, 21:22
Well................not sure what I am going to do. Should have a couple of permits end of February. When that comes I'll see what is available in .22 pistols...................if I can't get what I want I'll go the conversion route...........really like my G19

ken grant
01-25-2013, 07:30
Update on the older AA 19/23 Kit I purchased .
Went to range yesterday to try it out.

Started with Mini-Mags and fired 4 mags full and it worked great. Then Rem. Bulk G.B.'s and again everything OK.

Tried the newer style mags from my other kits and again everything OK.

Then took a Major step and tried Federal Bulk ammo that will not work in any of my other AA Kits and they worked great as well. It is great for me as I have about 8,000 rds. of this stored away that I only used in my Ciener Kits that I never shoot anymore.

D4RWlN
01-25-2013, 08:35
When I saw your posts describing your newer(older) mag I was going to say they must have been the older design. The kit I bought in 2005-2006 has those. They work great but I don't like them as much for the some of reasons you mentioned. They won't drop free, they can't be taken apart, you can't boost the capacity like with the newer ones, they feel and handle differently than your standard mags(shape), and they won't fit molded carriers for your normal mags well. IMO the old mags aren't as good for practicing handling/ manipulation but they do shoot well. I just bought 4 more of the newer mags directly from AA. They shipped pretty quick.

I love the AA kits. I also prefer to shoot them over other nicer 22s just for the added trigger time with my carry pistol.

wolf19r
01-25-2013, 16:43
Mine works well with mini mags but it doesn't run with federal bulk those were the only ones I've tried so far. Its an awesome training tool to practice with your Glock.

High Altitude
01-25-2013, 17:15
Love mine. Definitely going to get one for my gen4 19.

5 shot 7 yd group my daughter shot.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/myphotos27/P1010067.jpg

bentbiker
01-25-2013, 17:38
Definitely going to get one for my gen4 19.
You no longer need to buy a new kit -- just this RSA: http://www.advantagearms.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AASOS&Product_Code=GreyGen41923&Category_Code=GKParts

LampShadeActual
01-25-2013, 17:46
I have several of the AA kits for different Glock sizes. I like them and use them frequently. I like to shoot 150 rounds of .22 and then one or two boxes of centerfire ammo.

A reasonable expectation of accuracy is 2-3" at 25 yards. They shoot as well as the centerfire host does.

A reasonable expectation for function is probably 95% accross the board using the best possible ammo. CCI MiniMags and CCI Blazer with a (C) headstamp work better than anything else. CCI Blazer bulk with a (F) headstamp is actually made by Federal and is such lousy brass it is death to the kits.

The sights that come on the LE kits are all Glock. I take off the adjustable sights and replace them with the correct fixed height Glock sight.

BIG NOTE: A Gen4 Glock has to use a Gen4 AA kit. If you install a Gen3-2-1 kit on a Gen4 host, the Gen3 kit breaks up the plastic frame ahead of the front slide rails. I wrecked a brand new Gen4 M19 frame putting a Gen3 kit on it. It worked 100% for 100 rounds. But the Gen4 Glock plastic frame ahead of and below the front frame rails was wrecked.

One of these days I have to advertise the Gen4 9mm slide, barrel, and RS spring set to get rid of it. The frame is still good enough for the proper AA .22LR kit and I'm keeping that just for a .22LR.

I still cry periodically over that FUBAR. I never heard or saw a word on the misfit.

A Gen4 AA kit will do no harm on a Gen4 Glock.

The Gen4 AA kit cannot be installed on a Gen3 Glock.

The older Gen3 AA kit can be used on a host Gen4 frame if you substitute the recoil spring assembly noted just above. The wider buffer bangs into the Gen4 host frame in the right places.

IF you use the Gen3 recoil spring and buffer on a Gen4 host, the narrower buffer wedges between the stop block surfaces in front of and below the forward frame rails. After a 100 rounds or so, the plastic host frame breaks away leaving the front of the stop blocks exposed under and below the front of the frame rails.

The two plastic assembly guides break off and tear plastic down inside the U between the stop blocks. It also wrecks the Gen3 recoil spring and buffer by cutting into the buffer.

The oddity is that the AA conversion bangs the stop blocks a lot harder than the centerfire slide does. The center fire slide uses the nose of the interior of the slide to impact the stop blocks, but the AA kit uses the buffer itself. It really isn't a buffer, just a guide for the spring tube and a surface to hit the frame stop blocks.

The other thing is that the AA kits should never be dry fired except to disassemble from the host frame. The firing pin/striker metal is fairly soft and the firing pin safety is harder than heaven. Dry firing lets the pin hit the safety block and wrecks the pin and screws up feeding, firing, and ejection. IF you then try to deburr the firing pin, it is shortened in relation to the firing pin safety block and lets the firing pin go through the breech face even when the pin is supposed to be engaged and prevent that. Simply don't ever dry fire them.

WMDoug
01-26-2013, 18:48
I ended up waiting too long for the AA conversion kit, they couldn't be found anywhere, so I purchased an ISSC M22. It is a LOT like my G19 but is incredibly finicky with ammo. All it will effectively eat are CCI mini mags, which cannot be found anywhere...

I am right back where I started.

ken grant
01-26-2013, 19:52
Mine works well with mini mags but it doesn't run with federal bulk those were the only ones I've tried so far. Its an awesome training tool to practice with your Glock.

Went back to the range today and shot the older AA kit again both with the older mags and newer ones. Today I only shot Rem. Bulk G.B.'s and Federal Bulk. Everything worked great.

Also carried my other AA Kit as well just to try the older mags in to see if they work in the newer Kit.They worked great.

While I was there, I decided to try the Federals in my newer Kit which has not worked well with them in the past. In fact,would not work at all.
Today they did work great and I can only guess that breaking in was the difference.
I tried them when I first got the kit(several 1,000s rds. ago) and never tried them again until today.

ChiefWPD
01-26-2013, 20:21
I bought a used AA kit for my G17 some years ago. From Glock Talk classifieds in fact.

My unit is not ammo sensitive. Yeah, there are a few brands that don't work so well, but on the other hand, so many others work just fine it's not an issue.

For the life of me I cannot understand why that company does not ramp up production to meet demand? It's not like people haven't been buying their units for some time now.

3859t
02-05-2013, 14:42
Advantage Arms has a strange business model. When you call there they tell you their business hours are 9 am to 1 pm. Strange hours for a company that's way behind on deliveries. Next they tell you that if you are calling about kits they will not respond. When i called three "dealers" in my area two said they were not dealers and never had been. The third never answered the phone. Are these people still making kits? Do they intend to continue?