H&R Model 829 in 22LR....Problem and Need Help...Can Anyone Help?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : H&R Model 829 in 22LR....Problem and Need Help...Can Anyone Help??

Nalapombu
01-19-2013, 21:25
Hey all,

I have an H&R Model 829 revolver in 22LR. It is blued with a 3 inch barrel and a 9 shot. I know it's a cheapie, not very much quality, but it was one of my DADS favorite plinking pistols.

The part on the revolver that holds the cylinder and allows it to swing out, is that called the YOKE?? On my S&W M65 when the cylinder is out and I press on the ejector rod at some point it won't push any more and stops. The cylinder is also not going to come off of the end of the ejector rod.

On my H&R when the cylinder is out, if I removed the grips, I could push the cylinder right off of the ejector rod and have it in my hand. VERY STRANGE. With the cylinder out I can grasp the cylinder and pull it towards my body and the entire thing will slide right off of the YOKE and I'll be holding the cylinder with the ejector rod sticking out of the top (where it should be) in my hand. I can reverse the motion and put it back and then push it back into the revolver and it will function as though there isn't a problem in the world with it.

Can someone tell me how I can fix this? This cannot be normal operation. I have looked closely at it and there doesn't appear to be any broken parts or anything so I have no idea what's going on and how to fix it.

I would LOVE it if someone could help me get this thing back to right where I wouldn't have to worry about the cylinder sliding off when I am ejecting spents.

Thanks for your help and time.

Nalajr

Berto
01-20-2013, 03:27
That does sound weird. I wonder if there might be a small spring or clip that holds the cylinder to the crane assembly..sort of the way it is on the top break models like the 999.

Nalapombu
01-20-2013, 09:46
I tried looking close at it last night. Just to make sure I took the grip panel off on that side and then opened the cylinder as if I was ejecting empties. Sure enough I could easily pull the whole cylinder and ejector rod assembly right off and hold it in my hand.

I looked at Numrich at a schematic last night and couldn't tell much. They did show the ejector rod assembly and there could be something awry with mine that is causing it. All of the parts they showed for the cylinder, yoke and ejector rod were SOLD OUT. Who knows where I'd ever find a part if it turned out I needed something in that assembly.

If you think it would help to figure out what is going on, I could get my niece to make a video of me showing the problem and zooming in on the parts. What do you all think?

Thanks for your help and time.

Nalajr

DoubleWide
01-20-2013, 12:45
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/pub/schematic/HarringtonandRichardson_SwingOutRevolvers504_schem.jpg

The only ways I see of retaining the cylinder assembly other than tight fit is an unshown retaining clip holding cylinder onto the yoke/crane.

Does the #5 cylinder assembly when removed from the gun stop #4 the center pin assembly? I'm assuming it does so that sounds like it would be working right. #4 sounds like it was designed to be taken through #37 yoke/crane.

So you're looking at the fit of #37 to #5 since the frame isn't blocking the cylinder. Unless it was designed the way it's working.

shadow_dog
01-20-2013, 16:34
Head over to rimfirecentral.com and ask over there. Seems like theres an answer to anything rimfire over there.

Nalapombu
01-21-2013, 02:58
That's the same schematic I was looking at. If you look at it, on my specimen parts #4, 7 and 5 are together, they don't come apart unless I would take them apart. As you said, they fit on the yoke, part #37.

When I push the cylinder out as if to eject spent brass, I can pull on the cylinder (#5) and if that grip panel wasn't in place, it WILL simply slide off and end up in my hand with little to no effort at all. In fact the grip is the only thing that is keeping the cylinder in place. If the grip were 2mm thinner, I could point the barrel into the sky with the cylinder out and it would fall straight to the ground as soon as the axis started turning towards vertical.

Thanks for the help you guys. It may be, as you say, designed to be that way. For the life of me I can't understand why they would do it that way, but it's possible. I'll go over to the other place and ask over there. Someone there has to have one of these models that can shed more light on it.

Thanks again fellas for all the ideas and help.

Nalajr

Berto
01-21-2013, 15:51
How much space is there between the grip panel and the rear of the cylinder when the gun is open?

I would think that if there is very little space, it's probably the design in that the grip panel acts to limit that movement so the cylinder doesn't slide off. Otherwise, there has to be something missing.

RonS
01-21-2013, 17:04
Owner's manual. Owner might still have it for sale, the auction below is expired.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=319087617

Nalapombu
01-21-2013, 17:28
When I swing the cylinder out there is about an inch or so from the edge of the grip panel to the surface of the cylinder. If I push on the back of the ejector rod the whole thing will move forward and come into contact with the edge of the grip. The back of the ejector rod will come even with the hole in the yoke and go no more because it is stopped by the grip panel.

Nalajr

Adjuster
01-22-2013, 16:18
I found this description of your pistol that seems to indicate the cylinder is 'removable'.

Forget about this apparently one of the options for your pistol was a 'removable cylinder' as opposed to a 'swing out cylinder'.

/

Nalapombu
01-22-2013, 17:47
WOW! GREAT Detective work! Makes sense.

I'll try and get a short video made tonight to show you all so you can see exactly what I am talking about.

Thanks

Nalajr