CCW options for Wife [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CCW options for Wife

klt1986
01-19-2013, 21:27
My wife is finally showing interest in a firearm for concealed carry. She really likes the Ruger LCR and I'm inclined to think a revolver might be perfect. Anyone have first hand experience with the LCR? Any other recommendations are welcome too.

ProCarryNAustin
01-19-2013, 21:36
My recommendation is to find a range with some rentals and let her try them at her own pace. Let her pick the one she likes and shoots best. Especially for new shooters, picking one without shooting it is a great way to blow some serious cash finding out which is best.

Low_Speed
01-19-2013, 21:47
Agreed

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

janice6
01-19-2013, 21:51
LCR is a fine pistol.

She should try out some firearms of her choosing. She is the one to use it, she should be able to carry the one she feels most comfortable with. Have her handle some different brands and types. Then shoot the ones she likes the best.

Do not discount womens ability to handle hotter calibers. Some can, some can't. My friend's wife carries a stainless .357 Magnum in a J frame. she is very good with it.

My wife carries a S & W 642 as a second choice. My other two daughters carry the same revolver. My wife is old and low arm strength, but shoots it well. she also shot a .45 semi-auto, .357 Sig and .40 cal in her first pistol class. Your wife may surprise you. ProCarryNAustin is right.

Revolvers with a shrouded hammer have a unique ability to be able to shoot while still inside pockets or purses and continue shooting till empty. Semi-autos cannot do this.

Nice advantage to hold your pistol and aim it while keeping it hidden from view.

G29SFWTF
01-20-2013, 00:37
A female relative was telling me the other day about her new ccw, a .38 revolver. I had to bite my tongue because one the one hand I don't want to discourage new shooters, especially women, but on the other hand I feel the .38 is an outdated caliber. I'm not a firearms expert myself but as a hobbyist and ccw holder I like to learn what I can. Massad Ayoob wrote an article about choosing the best caliber where he noted the .38 was known as "the widowmaker" in LE circles because when it used to be the standard issue for LE, the bad guy would continue to fight after being shot. Then there is the recent story about the lady who was hiding in the closet with her kids when the BG attacked. She shot him 5 times in the face with a .38 and he's still breathing. The attack was stopped yes, but with just one round to spare and bad guy is even still alive. Death of BG is not the goal I know but to me it speaks to the shortcomings of the caliber.

Still a .38 in the hand beats a 10mm at home as they say and people should use the guns they are comfortable with or else they won't carry. But I notice the LCR comes in .357 and is about 4 ounces heavier than the .38. If the slightly higher weight is not an issue and you like the lcr platform then why not see if she can shoot the magnum.

edcrosbys
01-20-2013, 19:58
... Massad Ayoob wrote an article about choosing the best caliber where he noted the .38 was known as "the widowmaker" in LE circles because when it used to be the standard issue for LE, the bad guy would continue to fight after being shot....

You have a link for that article (maybe my google-fu is failing)? I thought Ayoob was behind the .38 snub as a good cc...

Rent or have a bunch of friends meet up and try some different things. My wife likes wheel guns and my daughter glocks.

SiberianErik
01-20-2013, 20:08
the lady mentioned shooting the guy 5x, lives not to far from me. The guy is already threatening her from jail as are his scummy dirtbag relatives. :steamed:

I ccw a 642 .38(+p) as well as 340pd .357

The 340 is very light but is very tough to shoot.

The LC9 would be a great choice for her.

Kozel
01-20-2013, 20:49
I have LCR but I talked my wife into carrying Colt Agent revolver.

I want her to carry the best and it is six shot.

hogship
01-20-2013, 21:15
the lady mentioned shooting the guy 5x, lives not to far from me. The guy is already threatening her from jail as are his scummy dirtbag relatives. :steamed:

I ccw a 642 .38(+p) as well as 340pd .357

The 340 is very light but is very tough to shoot.

The LC9 would be a great choice for her.

The immediate goal should be to stop the bad guy.......but, considering how badly our courts are operating these days, who could deny that, overall, a dead bad guy is better than a live bad guy with a liberal judge and lawyer?

If it were my wife, I'd want the most powerful cartridge she could handle, and to tell the truth, I consider the 38spl a very capable cartridge. I bought my wife a Smith model 60 chambered in 357, but she wanted to shoot the less powerful 38spl.......I'm good with that.

For anyone willing to learn to use a handgun without the need to think in a stressful situation, an automatic is the better choice.......my opinion, of course.

ooc

ithaca_deerslayer
01-20-2013, 22:03
My wife is finally showing interest in a firearm for concealed carry. She really likes the Ruger LCR and I'm inclined to think a revolver might be perfect. Anyone have first hand experience with the LCR? Any other recommendations are welcome too.

Any of the small lightweight snubbies are hard to shoot accurately compared to semi-autos. But they are less likely to jam, and they conceal easy.

The guns themselves are accurate, and my wife has practised a lot with her S&W 637, to gain good accuracy. Recoil is stiff, but she likes her gun, and accepts the tradeoffs.

A slightly larger semi-auto, in 9mm, will likely have more bullets, be easier to shoot well, have quicker reloads, and have less felt recoil.

That doesn't mean not to get the LCR, it is just something to consider. I like my S&W 642 better than the LCR (personal opinion).
Also look, for comparison, at the Ruger LC9 and Kahr polymer 9mm (P9, CW9, PM9, CM9), and the S&W Shield 9mm, and Glock 26. But it is her choice, so whatever she likes, go with.

If a small .38 revolver, try 148gr wadcutters first, any brand. The reduction in recoil will be appreciated by her :)

G29SFWTF
01-20-2013, 22:05
You have a link for that article (maybe my google-fu is failing)? I thought Ayoob was behind the .38 snub as a good cc...

Rent or have a bunch of friends meet up and try some different things. My wife likes wheel guns and my daughter glocks.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob93.html

mjkeat
01-20-2013, 22:16
Does anyone have any information on the round used in these .38's?

Lone_Wolfe
01-20-2013, 22:25

If she likes it, and can shoot it, then it's a good choice for her. :thumbsup:

Havasu
01-20-2013, 22:30
If cost is not an issue, look into a Rhino. Even in .357 it is much easier to handle than most small wheel guns and the felt recoil is much lighter.

fnfalman
01-20-2013, 23:18
Do the little lady a favor and get her some professional training on basic marksmanship then let her pick out the gun.

The LCR is a great little snubbie and I have one myself. HOWEVER, it ain't a shooter friendly gun, not even to a seasoned shooter.

edcrosbys
01-21-2013, 14:17
Does anyone have any information on the round used in these .38's?

Here's a link that has some older performance info for different .38 rounds.
http://www.firearmstactical.com/ammo_data/38special.htm

Here's some fps info with different barrel lengths:
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/38special.html

MrMurphy
01-21-2013, 14:24
What FNFalman said.

Be prepared to go through multiple guns. Have her shoot a bunch of them before buying.

I wouldn't recommend a .38 snub to someone new to shooting or carrying, but it's better than nothing. The Crimson Trace Lasergrip is a highly effective add-on for snubs when it comes to aiming, and I'm not usually a laser fan. Having been on the receiving end of one in a force-on-force exercise from a .38 snub, they DO work.

To the hobbyist: the .38 has been around for 113 years. The "Widowmaker" load is a .38 round nosed lead bullet which doesn't do much when it hits. i.e 'range ammo'. Common cop load back in the day due to bureaucratic stupidity. Modern .38 ammo (post 1980s) is highly effective. That said, even with widowmakers, Jim Cirillo once shot 3 men in 3 seconds with 3 rounds (presumably RNL's) and killed all three. Bullet placement.

A Speer Gold Dot 135gr Short Barrel load is probably the single most effective .38 snubload out there, specifically formulated for them. it's what I carried in the LCR when I had one.

Having seen people shot by .22, .25, 9mm, .38, .40, 12 gauge and stabbed by a steak knife (no BS, it almost killed him)....... bullet placement is key, and penetration. Anything bigger than a .380 will generally do, IF it hits where it should.