Gun Choice for CCW [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gun Choice for CCW

G20c
01-19-2013, 22:37
I carry my G20c when in the woods, but I am new to CCW.

I am considering two pistols, one in .357 Sig and the other in 9mm.

The trade offs are 9mm = 16 rounds per mag
and .357 Sig is 12. The Sig round seems to have earned a great reputation for defense, not that the 9mm is all that far behind.

So with 2 mags total, it would be 32 rounds of 9mm, or 24 rounds of .357 Sig?

I can't seem to wrap my brain around giving up the extra round count, but really want the .357 Sig round for its reputation.

The 9mm will cheaper to shoot unless I reload for the .357.

What say yall?

Travelin' Jack
01-19-2013, 22:46
All the "duty calibers" are similar enough that you really can't go wrong with whatever you choose.

That said, 357 Sig is my favorite and if it's available in my platform of choice it will be my first pick. I wish the Walther PPQ came in 357 Sig.

Travelin' Jack
01-19-2013, 22:47
Also if you haven't watched them, check out tnoutdoor9's videos on YouTube. He has gel tested the 357 in Golden Sabre, Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot and Underwood Gold Dot. Not to mention a number of 9mm hollow points.

rl356
01-19-2013, 22:54
G33 with G31/G22 mags for reloads.

nickcarr
01-20-2013, 01:04
I highly recommend shooting the 357SIG before buying. It's an awesome round on paper but I was very surprised how hard it was to re-acquire the target after the first shot (with a G31.)

I say go for the G19 or G23 depending on which caliber you prefer. (You can always shoot 9mm in the G23 with a barrel swap.)

IndyGunFreak
01-20-2013, 01:09
I'm not a fan of the .357sig. To expensive, to difficult to find locally, a pain to reload.. just not worth it to me. In your scenario, I'd go 9mm all the way.

RJ's Guns
01-20-2013, 01:14
I'm not a fan of the .357sig. To expensive, to difficult to find locally, a pain to reload.. just not worth it to me. In your scenario, I'd go 9mm all the way.

I have the same opinion.
RJ

NMPOPS
01-20-2013, 01:15
As much as I love my G-19 and G-26 most of the time I find myself pocket carrying an S&W M642.

RJ's Guns
01-20-2013, 01:48

and .357 Sig is 12. The Sig round seems to have earned a great reputation for defense, not that the 9mm is all that far behind.

I can't seem to wrap my brain around giving up the extra round count, but really want the .357 Sig round for its reputation.

What say yall?

A pistol that has a 16 round 9mm capacity is a fairly large pistol. It is true that many people carry that size of a pistol concealed, and occasionally I do it, but I have found it to be a pain. In addition, you intend on carrying two large magazines. That is really a lot of bulk and weight. Not to mention all of that digging into your body each time you sit or move the wrong way.

Normally the largest pistol in my current CCW rotation is an H&K P2000SK 40 S&W, but primarily I carry my Rohrbaugh R9s (9mm) and usually, no matter what else I carry, I also carry a Seecamp 380 or some S&W J-frame.

A lot of people start out thinking that a fairly large handgun will be their preferred concealed carry weapon and then after experiencing carrying a large, heavy, bulky handgun concealed for a few weeks, months, or whatever, down the road, some find that it just is not worth it.

But then, I have been carrying for over 40 years and I am old, so my perspective is probably different from most individuals on this forum.

RJ

nickcarr
01-20-2013, 02:11
A pistol that has a 16 round 9mm capacity is a fairly large pistol. It is true that many people carry that size of a pistol concealed, and occasionally I do it, but I have found it to be a pain. In addition, you intend on carrying two large magazines. That is really a lot of bulk and weight. Not to mention all of that digging into your body each time you sit or move the wrong way.

Normally the largest pistol in my current CCW rotation is an H&K P2000SK 40 S&W, but primarily I carry my Rohrbaugh R9s (9mm) and usually, no matter what else I carry, I also carry a Seecamp 380 or some S&W J-frame.

A lot of people start out thinking that a fairly large handgun will be their preferred concealed carry weapon and then after experiencing carrying a large, heavy, bulky handgun concealed for a few weeks, months, or whatever, down the road, some find that it just is not worth it.

But then, I have been carrying for over 40 years and I am old, so my perspective is probably different from most individuals on this forum.

RJ

A G19 is large?

Bill Lumberg
01-20-2013, 08:55
A G19/23/32 is not large. I conceal one all day every day when I'm not working, and some when I am.

1canvas
01-20-2013, 09:13
I have seen large animals shot with sevice caliber handguns. regardless of gel tests, I have seen the results of different calibers on live flesh so I could never buy into the ''with todays ammo all service calibers are about the same'' mentality. on live animals the difference between 9mm and 357sig are great, and that to me more than offsets the round count difference. also if you can handle 9mm top line +P defense ammo 357sig shouldn't be a problem.

SCmasterblaster
01-20-2013, 13:56
I'd go with the G19, or even the G17. Find some 115gr JHP +p+ loads for it.

oneuglygun
01-20-2013, 14:23
What I have learned about carry is they still don't make the "perfect concealed carry" in my opinion. I've carried 9mm and 40 cal. in several weights and sizes. From the Glock 35 to the Glock 26. The end result is they are all heavy and bulky. Also the Springfield XDM 9mm and their 45. If you carry for a shootout carry the Glock 35 or 17. Most of the time I carry for self defence so I carry the S&W bodyguard or an 8 shot 22Mag. Revolver. For my use the perfect carry would be a 10 shot 9mm that weighs around 15ozs., 7/8ths thick, with a 3-4 pound trigger pull, NOT in DAO !!

Bruce M
01-20-2013, 15:49
If I was considering a G19 for carry I would want to try shooting the G26 first. More than a few here have reported shooting the G26 better than the bigger 9mm Glock versions.

WT
01-20-2013, 16:11
I have to agree with RJ. I work harder concealing a G19, usually under a sport jacket. It can be done, though.

A G26 is much easier, IWB under a golf shirt.

However, conditions sometimes require that I have to accept a J-frame.

Back to the original poster ... I prefer a 9mm over a .357Sig due to cost, availability, etc.

Yes, I too am old and gray.

HarleyGuy
01-20-2013, 17:11
I think most of us who have been carrying for while have a plethora of guns to choose, and hosters to safely carry them for daily carry.

Of all the handguns I own, I've probably carried my G-27 in a M/S holster more than I have my Kimber Ultra Carry CDP, also in a M/S holster, but the ONE guns that always carry is my Kel-Tec .32 (pocket rocket).
It isn't a big gun, but a little gun in your pocket (when you need it) is a heck of a lot better than a "hand-cannon" locked in your safe at home.:supergrin:

EDC depends a lot on your body shape, the way you may have to dress for work, and also what your daily activies involve.
A lot of pyhsical work can makec carrying a larger gun very impractical.
Also, if you have to travel to places where you can't take your gun into, an easy holster to remove and replace on your belt also makes a big difference in what you carry and how you carry it.

concretefuzzynuts
01-20-2013, 17:20
I guess I'm the odd ball. I carry a G22 and have since 1999. Unless the way Im dressed doesn't allow it, then I carry an LCR.

dosei
01-20-2013, 17:54

What say yall?

Do you own both already?
If so, which do you shoot best?

If not, is there a way for you to shoot both before you buy (such as a range that has them for rent)?

IMHO, the capacity difference between the two bears no weight on which is the best choice.

It's not always about what works best in theory...it's about what works for you.

unit1069
01-20-2013, 18:02
What I have learned about carry is they still don't make the "perfect concealed carry" in my opinion.

I agree, but then it all depends on the individual's personal physical characteristics. I would have gone with a G-33 but I never warmed up to curling my pinkie underneath the grip, and the pistol's somewhat too wide.

I did find an excellent 9mm that fits me perfectly but it's too heavy, and the small sub-compact 9mm I also own is a hammer-fired model with a long DAO trigger pull that conflicts with my excellent striker-fired pistols. I'm afraid that in a sudden potentially life-or-death situation muscle memory would create a problem.

A S&W Shield would be great, but I prefer .357sig in short barrels over 9mm, with .40S&W being too snappy for my tastes.

If the current Marxist push to outlaw the Second Amendment is sustained perhaps before the worst comes to fruition some quality gun makers will make a small single-stack striker-fired .357sig CCW pistol. I own a good supply of excellent JHP self-defense ammo for this caliber so I wouldn't be concerned with availability.

RJ's Guns
01-21-2013, 00:05
A G19 is large?

It was late when I wrote that and I was thinking of a G17. I do not really like Glocks (I only own a G26 and a G30SF), so I tend to get a little confused on the model designations.

Thanks for pointing that out.

RJ

SCmasterblaster
01-21-2013, 09:22
A G19 is not too large.

1canvas
01-21-2013, 13:12
I agree, but then it all depends on the individual's personal physical characteristics. I would have gone with a G-33 but I never warmed up to curling my pinkie underneath the grip, and the pistol's somewhat too wide.

I did find an excellent 9mm that fits me perfectly but it's too heavy, and the small sub-compact 9mm I also own is a hammer-fired model with a long DAO trigger pull that conflicts with my excellent striker-fired pistols. I'm afraid that in a sudden potentially life-or-death situation muscle memory would create a problem.

A S&W Shield would be great, but I prefer .357sig in short barrels over 9mm, with .40S&W being too snappy for my tastes.

If the current Marxist push to outlaw the Second Amendment is sustained perhaps before the worst comes to fruition some quality gun makers will make a small single-stack striker-fired .357sig CCW pistol. I own a good supply of excellent JHP self-defense ammo for this caliber so I wouldn't be concerned with availability.

as far as curling the pinky with a sub Glock it was kind of strange for me. when concidering a sub I would pick one up at a gun shop and say ''no way'', but reading so much positive posts I finally bought a 27. even though it doesn't feel secure in the hand when you grab one, once you start shooting it feels very secure with two fingers and the pinky curled under the mag. there are also other options like the Gap mag plate and extensions if needed. my point is I was surprized how well a sub has worked out for me. even though I have a 23 the 27 is much easier to carry even with a mag extension.

Dooger
01-23-2013, 00:49
I hide a G19 pretty easy in the winter months...IWB under a sweatshirt or fleece jacket. In the summer, I switch to a PM9 either IWB under a t-shirt or pocket carry.

The G19 is a great platform for winter carry in a hybrid holster. It can be a tad heavy though. I've tried a lot of belts and I still find my pants sag at times on my strong side...especially when I exit a vehicle.

P.S. I print too much with a G19 and a t-shirt, otherwise I'd carry it year round.

TX OMFS
01-23-2013, 02:32
I agree w/ HarleyGuy, my Kel-Tec .32 is pretty easy to conceal. I have a quick draw type clip on mine and even carry it when I jog.

After Sandy Hook I recommitted to carrying everyday every where I can. I started thinking about my kids and decided to quite being lax/lazy. I've been packing a G27 w/ +1 extension IWB in a Kydex holster clipped to my scrubs. If I pull it the holster will come with it and covers the trigger so I've been practicing drawing the gun and sliding the holster off in one move. I'm also carrying an extra magazine in case he keeps moving. :whistling:

In the winter months I sometimes carry my Sig226 .40 w/ extra mags in a shoulder holster rig under a coat. Kinda awkward but also kinda cool.

Bill Lumberg
01-23-2013, 04:53
Easy to conceal a 19 or 23 year round. Just takes a proper gunbelt (which precludes sag) and holster.