firing pin problem [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : firing pin problem

Henry's Dad
01-20-2013, 00:45
Hi all,

My G23 firing pin seems to have some wear on it where the firing pin safety plunger rests (no unusual wear on the plunger, BTW).

Anything unusual about this or something to be concerned about? Gun functions fine at the moment and passes all the usual safety tests.

(click to enlarge)

If I run my fingernail over it, it has a slight jagged "lip" to it and isn't smoooth.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Replacing the firing pin seems like a good idea, but I want to solve the underlying issue so it doesn't keep happening.

Thanks.

Made in Austria
01-20-2013, 01:16
My G23 gen4 firing pin has the exact same wear mark. I have a lot of newer and a few older Glock's, but only one of them shows this wear mark. After a lot of thinking and researching, I came to the conclusion that this wear mark is caused by bouncing back and forth of the firing pin. After a shot had been fired, the firing pin appears to bounce obviously with more force than in other guns against the firing pin safety block a couple of times. I have never let the firing snap forward by hand while the slide was seperated from the frame which would cause the same wear mark.

I did replace the firing pin in that gun to see if it was just a softer firing pin or something. The same wear mark showed up on the new firing pin after only a few hundred rounds.

It is not a unknown phenomenon, there are a few guys who noticed the same mark on their firing pin. I don't think there is anything you can do about it. Some guns just do this. All you can do is to check the firing pin safety on a regular basis. The the tip/firing pin must not go through the breach face hole while the firing pin safety block is not depressed.

Henry's Dad
01-20-2013, 01:24
My G23 gen4 firing pin has the exact same wear mark.

Okay, thanks. I can take some comfort in knowing it's not a unique problem.

Thanks for the info.

Made in Austria
01-20-2013, 01:37
You welcome! I should have mentioned that most Glocks have a tiny bit of this particular wear mark on their firing pin which doesn't get any worse over time. Very few Glocks show it more just like ours which probably keeps wearing to a certain point and then stops. But I would definitely keep an eye on it since it's a critical safety feature of a Glock. Just check the firing pin safety everytime you clean it.