Mounting a scout scope on an AR [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a scout scope on an AR

Stonewall308
01-20-2013, 09:54
I am mounting a scout scope on my flat top AR. The eye relief is actually so long that the scope is a little to close to my eye when it is all the way forward on the flat top. So my question is will accuracy be negatively affected if I mount it to the top of the quad rail?

Tarant
01-20-2013, 10:05
Ive always been told and understand that you never want to bridge the quad rail with the flat top on an AR with an optic, I could be wrong so someone with more experience will chime in.

Unless you will mount the scope on just the quad rail but that really puts the scope out there. Being a scout scope it will work but man it will be a pain to use

What mount are you using?
http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/8/ something like this or a rail (like the gg&g scout rail) is offset will help with eye relief.

FullClip
01-20-2013, 10:07
"Accuracy" won't be affected, but the field of view sure will be. I've never had much luck with scopes mounted forward of the receiver...but I've got lousy eyes and am even a worse shooter.:supergrin:

If you're looking to make your AR a varmint gun, get the right scope to mount on the receiver. If you want a fast handling unit, put an Aimpoint or similar on it, mount anywhere on the rail. A scout type mount is a compromise that will fail at both tasks.

Best I've got soe far is a 2X ACOG on an H-BAR...little bit of maginification, cross hair reticle but wide field of view and not critical eye relief. Not cheap, but worth it.

xls177
01-22-2013, 00:09
I would just buy a offset scope mount.
If your rail us not locked to the reciever it could twist under firing or sling pressure

faawrenchbndr
01-22-2013, 06:26
I am mounting a scout scope on my flat top AR. The eye relief is actually so long that the scope is a little to close to my eye when it is all the way forward on the flat top. So my question is will accuracy be negatively affected if I mount it to the top of the quad rail?

You will be fine,......it is preferable to have the scope mount either
on the receiver or the hand guard rail, not splitting both. If you
are using a mount, vs scope rings you should be able to get away
with splitting if needed. If your rail/hand guard is free floated, it
will have no effect on accuracy.

mjkeat
01-22-2013, 07:05
You will be fine,......it is preferable to have the scope mount either
on the receiver or the hand guard rail, not splitting both. If you
are using a mount, vs scope rings you should be able to get away
with splitting if needed. If your rail/hand guard is free floated, it
will have no effect on accuracy.

This. Lock the thread.

hvyhawler
01-22-2013, 11:04
Look at the Burris P.E.P.R. mount.

jhooten
01-22-2013, 12:18
Look at the Burris P.E.P.R. mount.

I second that.

Haldor
01-22-2013, 22:49
I have been deliriously satisfied by my Leupold AR 1.5-4 x 20 scope. I have it mounted on a PS90 at the moment, but it is designed specifically for the AR.

Sells for about $300 too so price is not out of line.