I am looking for a 1911 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I am looking for a 1911

ARP
01-20-2013, 11:33
Been doing my due diligence, figuring a budget, watching auction prices etc, taking my time so I get exactly what I want in a 1911. Currently own a GSG. 22lr 1911, like shooting it. Here is my question, I'm wondering about whether I want to go with .45 or 9mm. I just don't think I want to get into a 4th caliber of gun(.22lr, 9mm, .38sp currently)

Looking at Rock Island, I see they are a parkerized finish, the GSG which is a working/practice gun that has some holster wear might need refinished at some point.

Was also looking at Springfield Armory, what would I notice as a big difference between the 2, other than maybe $400 in price? Machining? Parts difference? I like the skeletonized trigger. Again, in the look and learn phase of the search.

faawrenchbndr
01-20-2013, 11:35
About as much difference between a Buick & a Cadillac.

MStarmer
01-20-2013, 11:39
What you going to use it for? Full size 5" gun or shorter? If it's just a range gun and you want to keep calibers similar there's nothing wrong with one in 9mm. Kind of like a Camaro or a Mustang with a 4 cylinder though... :)

bac1023
01-20-2013, 13:47
Yes, you'll see a big difference between Springfield and RIA.

ilgunguygt
01-20-2013, 14:42
Yes, you'll see a big difference between Springfield and RIA. Definately. It does bear mentioning though that at that price point the RIA is the best 1911 available. They really are decent guns, they just dont compare in fit and finish to a 900 dollar or even 800 dollar 1911. Though the compact I had was a very well built gun.

gunsmoke92
01-20-2013, 21:58
Springfield and RIA are night and day apart, at least in fit and finish, and price.

Springfield Loaded Target
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g125/gunsmoke92/guns/guns002.jpg

RIA GI FS
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g125/gunsmoke92/guns/002.jpg

and after some upgrades
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g125/gunsmoke92/001-1.jpg

Even after some upgrades, I could buy 2 RIAs like this for what the Springer cost.
As for performance, the RIA and the Springfield are on par with each other.

What are your plans for your 1911, plinking, carry, home defense? You can't go wrong with the Rock for any of these uses. What you'll save in cost will provide you with lots of funds for ammo and gets you a lifetime warranty. Rock Island makes some tactical models in 9mm that would be worth looking into.

If you're looking for something higher end to start with, the Springfield is a very good choice, with their customer service being an added bonus.

Basically, you can't go wrong with either, it just comes down to what you want and how much you want to spend.
Good Luck

ARP
01-20-2013, 23:47

they're both turds that need flushed? Because that is the impression I have of those 2 cars. Am I to infer that you feel that Cadillac is a top of the line car and the Buick is the US version of a Yugo? I see you have 26K+ posts. Surely you can impart far more wisdom than that. Mechanically speaking, where is a $400-$500 difference located in the comparison of the 2 guns?

ilgunguygt
01-21-2013, 00:23
they're both turds that need flushed? Because that is the impression I have of those 2 cars. Am I to infer that you feel that Cadillac is a top of the line car and the Buick is the US version of a Yugo? I see you have 26K+ posts. Surely you can impart far more wisdom than that. Mechanically speaking, where is a $400-$500 difference located in the comparison of the 2 guns?
Are you serious? Maybe you should sit down, shut up, and read some in the 1911 forum before you make comments like that.:upeyes:

ARP
01-21-2013, 00:46
Are you serious? Maybe you should sit down, shut up, and read some in the 1911 forum before you make comments like that.:upeyes:

decide to post their opinion about 2 particular guns should stick to talking about guns. I did not ask about cars. :upeyes::upeyes: Yes I'm serious. I absolutely appreciate those that offer up opinions with substance that provides information to help me learn about the various 1911 versions that are on the market, because there are plenty. For example, your answer! And a few others. Now I could ignore the superfluous answers or prod, this evening I chose to prod.

gajones06
01-21-2013, 01:14
My thinking is go with the RIA. I have had a few along with various other 1911s and the only problem I had was they didn't like hollow points. I now have an STI that was a little over twice the price and I have had more problems with it then any other 1911... Just something to take into consideration.

ARP
01-21-2013, 01:16
Springfield and RIA are night and day apart, at least in fit and finish, and price.

Springfield Loaded Target
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g125/gunsmoke92/guns/guns002.jpg

RIA GI FS
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g125/gunsmoke92/guns/002.jpg

and after some upgrades
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g125/gunsmoke92/001-1.jpg

Even after some upgrades, I could buy 2 RIAs like this for what the Springer cost.
As for performance, the RIA and the Springfield are on par with each other.

What are your plans for your 1911, plinking, carry, home defense? You can't go wrong with the Rock for any of these uses. What you'll save in cost will provide you with lots of funds for ammo and gets you a lifetime warranty. Rock Island makes some tactical models in 9mm that would be worth looking into.

If you're looking for something higher end to start with, the Springfield is a very good choice, with their customer service being an added bonus.

Basically, you can't go wrong with either, it just comes down to what you want and how much you want to spend.
Good Luck

All the above as far as intended use, looking at a full size version. Already own a G19 and a S&W .38spl for conceal carry, thinking about a 1911 or Ruger Wiley Clapp GP100, both could go conceal carry, from a budgetary standpoint they are both in the ballpark of what I might be willing to spend. As I began looking at the various varieties of 1911, the cost of ammo (for me) must be considered, which I have not done yet. I'm asking myself, another caliber vs having 2 weapons same caliber, different characteristics? Fairly certain the 9mm will be more cost effective to shoot over the .45. What I have found is that I don't shoot the more expensive weapons as often as I shoot the various .22lr I own (4). Right now I'm in a quantity of trigger time vs quality of time. Of course that could change over time as I find and spend more time at the range.

ARP
01-21-2013, 01:32
My thinking is go with the RIA. I have had a few along with various other 1911s and the only problem I had was they didn't like hollow points. I now have an STI that was a little over twice the price and I have had more problems with it then any other 1911... Just something to take into consideration.

before I bought the GSG 1911 .22lr I had an itch for a 1911. RI was on the radar as was Taurus. The Taurus idea got ditched as it seemed from reading that they had a chance of being hit or miss, you could lay 30 of them out on the table and 1 might be finicky for the owner, but then you never know the complete story as to why, usually just get a list of symptoms and a shout out for help. Thought about the Ruger version, not into the stainless, RI was on the radar as was Remington and Springfield. With so many possibilities I went with the .22lr to try out the platform and if I liked how it handled and functioned then further exploration was needed. And that is where I am.

Mad Ryan
01-21-2013, 01:41
I'd snag the Springfield if nothing else, just because they make such awesome base guns for builds later on. You may decide to have some work done or whatever and a quality gun to start with is crucial. Plus the Springfield Custom Shop is awesome.

This one started as a TRP, which is a bit nicer gun than the base Loaded guns but still, they're all great guns.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f296/madryan/TRP%20Project/IMG_3272_zps4cf44b01.jpg

ilgunguygt
01-21-2013, 01:43
decide to post their opinion about 2 particular guns should stick to talking about guns. I did not ask about cars. :upeyes::upeyes: Yes I'm serious. I absolutely appreciate those that offer up opinions with substance that provides information to help me learn about the various 1911 versions that are on the market, because there are plenty. For example, your answer! And a few others. Now I could ignore the superfluous answers or prod, this evening I chose to prod.
When you prod some of the most knowledgeable people here, you can expect to get less help.

My answer, by the way, came from my own experience. I have a sig GSR1911 that I wouldnt give up for a springer unless it was a really nice one.

ca survivor
01-21-2013, 07:02
my vote Springfield Armory,

ARP
01-21-2013, 07:24
When you prod some of the most knowledgeable people here, you can expect to get less help.

My answer, by the way, came from my own experience. I have a sig GSR1911 that I wouldnt give up for a springer unless it was a really nice one.

over the entire thread, those that had the lowest post count had the most to offer and vice versa. Funny how that works on the internet.

SigFTW
01-21-2013, 07:39
RIA is a great gun for the money, hands down. But if you want something more refined then I would go with the SA.

MStarmer
01-21-2013, 13:39
over the entire thread, those that had the lowest post count had the most to offer and vice versa. Funny how that works on the internet.

Why can just a few people here on GT ruin it for everyone else...:steamed:

People are taking their time to answer your redundant post. Maybe instead of making yet another "What do I buy?" post use the search function or take a look at bac's 1911 guide. The amount of help I have derived from this site is without measure and I am thankful for it.

Mad Ryan
01-21-2013, 18:32

Now see...

I'd never buy either... I've got a nice Honda though. Even built in America, unlike lots of "American" cars. :rofl:

RGbiker
01-21-2013, 18:46
RIA or ATI are both good choice and selling for $425 here. (Tucson) Good OC 1911 guns.

IMO, OP can spend twice that amount on a 1911 that won't shoot any better than the two mentioned above.

fasteddie565
01-21-2013, 20:56
You will get your money's worth out of a RIA. I think its a good gun for the price. We sell a lot of them and never get them back into the store. Fit is better than finish, about what you would expect for a gun that price. I would not, however discount the Remington. They have several models now, some with some nice upgrades like two tone, beaver tail GS and the like. Some of the triggers on the Remingtons are also very good. (Some not so good) and are still well under a thousand dollars. The Ruger gives you a lot of upgraded features for the original MSRP (Around $600+) but they are a bit elevated now. I would ask why the aversion to the stainless?

ARP
01-22-2013, 08:48
You will get your money's worth out of a RIA. I think its a good gun for the price. We sell a lot of them and never get them back into the store. Fit is better than finish, about what you would expect for a gun that price. I would not, however discount the Remington. They have several models now, some with some nice upgrades like two tone, beaver tail GS and the like. Some of the triggers on the Remingtons are also very good. (Some not so good) and are still well under a thousand dollars. The Ruger gives you a lot of upgraded features for the original MSRP (Around $600+) but they are a bit elevated now. I would ask why the aversion to the stainless?

too flashy, I like the flat black, reddish checkered wood grips with just a hint of stainless/polished metal. Thats all and does not speak to the quality of the gun and it's operation. My entire query in this thread is about the operation of 2 guns, Springfield vs RI, I may also do the homework on the Rem. It's an education process, unfortunately some feel it is a little kids "sausage sword fight"
:supergrin:

ARP
01-22-2013, 08:59
Why can just a few people here on GT ruin it for everyone else...:steamed:

People are taking their time to answer your redundant post. Maybe instead of making yet another "What do I buy?" post use the search function or take a look at bac's 1911 guide. The amount of help I have derived from this site is without measure and I am thankful for it.

answer where the $400-$500 difference is in a RI vs SA? Because that is all I'm asking, not which gun I should buy. Somewhere along the line the thread got hijacked from an operation/manufacture difference query to which gun I should buy. Reading IS fundamental. Used the search function before posting the original query, did not satisfy what I was looking for, thought perhaps someone from this gold mine of info had done the same thing I was thinking of doing and might want to share their experience/findings.

ashecht
01-22-2013, 10:30
I have a Range Officer and I love it. For $700 otd, I don't think it can be beat. Fit/finish are great and its dead on accurate. Great trigger and features found on 1911's that cost way more. A bit heavy, but heck it's a 1911!