Tell me about this weird looking HK [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about this weird looking HK

SiberianErik
01-20-2013, 16:33
WE had this come in as a trade in, guy got a HK45.

It looks looks like Batmans gun or something. :dunno:

It is solid as a rock, the slide action is smooth like it is on greased ball bearings, just amazing.

bac1023
01-20-2013, 16:41
Its the VP70.

Its the first commercially produced polymer handgun.

4095fanatic
01-20-2013, 16:42
HK VP70. Should say that on the grip as well.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

chemcmndr
01-20-2013, 16:42
H&K VP70Z. It was the first polymer framed handgun, predating Glock by about 12 years. For its time, it had an unusually large magazine capacity at 18 rounds. There was a military variant (VP70M) that would accept a stock, and with the stock fitted, allowed the option of 3 round burst.

I'm not sure I would really call it a "collector" gun, but if you collect HK's, this is one you don't normally see every day. The only complaint I've heard about them is that the trigger pull is extremely heavy.

SiberianErik
01-20-2013, 17:09
Thanks everyone :wavey:

yes the trigger is a bit loong...so this predates the Gen 1 G17 then ???

what year are we talking ??

we have it listed at $499 iirc.

it is in mint condition, no case though.

I'M Glockamolie
01-20-2013, 17:45

nursetim
01-20-2013, 18:34
H&K VP70Z. It was the first polymer framed handgun, predating Glock by about 12 years. For its time, it had an unusually large magazine capacity at 18 rounds. There was a military variant (VP70M) that would accept a stock, and with the stock fitted, allowed the option of 3 round burst.

I'm not sure I would really call it a "collector" gun, but if you collect HK's, this is one you don't normally see every day. The only complaint I've heard about them is that the trigger pull is extremely heavy.

I thought that was the VP70Z? I was crazy for that gun around 1974 or 5. Then I found out it made a great boat anchor.

Ruggles
01-20-2013, 18:36
Never shot one but it does not look like a ergonomic dream to me......

Glockin before Gaston did!

bac1023
01-20-2013, 19:07

I'm not sure when that exact model was produced, but it was introduced in 1970.

The VP70 was produced for nearly 20 years.

chemcmndr
01-20-2013, 19:35
I thought that was the VP70Z? I was crazy for that gun around 1974 or 5. Then I found out it made a great boat anchor.

The Z is German for "Zivil" meaning "civillian". The "M" is "Militaer" for "military"

SiberianErik
01-20-2013, 19:43
I'm not sure when that exact model was produced, but it was introduced in 1970.

The VP70 was produced for nearly 20 years.

thanks Brian. Ill check the serial # and track down the year. The bottom of the mag that just out a bit from the grip sorta cuts into my hand ..god it is built like a Panzer though. So smooth and purposeful in its actions..

KennyFSU
01-20-2013, 19:45
Old gun yet looks kind of futuristic.

Bren
01-20-2013, 19:47
That's the H&K "Hi-Price-Point." The style and ergonomics of a Hi-Point, with an H&K price.:rofl:

itstime
01-20-2013, 19:47
Be a cool gun to own. Price is cheap compared to my area.

SiberianErik
01-20-2013, 19:49
Be a cool gun to own. Price is cheap compared to my area.

good luck finding a holster for it :supergrin:

The same guy brought in a HK SL-8 rifle. It is very heavy for a 5.56 rifle, we have it priced at $2500.

kenpoprofessor
01-20-2013, 20:03
Here's a guy that wants to buy it.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/862401/sw-washington-handguns-want-to-buy--hk-vp70z

And it seems you should up the price on yours.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/856718/missouri-handguns-for-sale-trade--hk-h-k-heckler-and-koch-vp-70-z-18rnds-first-polymer-frame-pistol-ever-made

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

bigchuck83
01-20-2013, 20:27
i've seen them for sale as low as $475 at gunshows. I will pick one up eventually just to have it.

DRJ1911
01-20-2013, 20:40
I looked at one in my LGS and thought it might be a cool gun to have but then I checked the trigger. The one I tried had the worst trigger I have ever felt on a gun.

Doyle

drizzle
01-20-2013, 23:06
I have one, you can get used to the trigger. The sights are also unusual, reflective ramps with a darker post set inside on the front. Mine's pretty accurate. 18 rounds of 9mm Russian fighting goodness.

The Z model, as mentioned, is the civilian version. The M model has a facility to have a stock fixed, which turned it into a 3 round burst machine pistol. VolksPistol because they were designed to be issued to German home guards and civilians with little firearms instruction if the Russians came through the Fulda Gap back in the day. Heavy pull so the civilians would be sure what they were shooting at, and a simple crossbolt safety.

It's not something anyone would carry for CCW, but it does have a certain something, if you're into unusual weapons. It was also the sidearm of many of the space Marines in the movie Aliens, if that makes any difference. Cool gun, I shoot mine time to time, and it always attracts attention at the range.

RJ's Guns
01-20-2013, 23:12
It has the worst trigger that I have ever used. For me, the pistol would not be worth taking up space in a vault. I would never pay a dime for one.

RJ

SiberianErik
01-20-2013, 23:49
I have one, you can get used to the trigger. The sights are also unusual, reflective ramps with a darker post set inside on the front. Mine's pretty accurate. 18 rounds of 9mm Russian fighting goodness.

The Z model, as mentioned, is the civilian version. The M model has a facility to have a stock fixed, which turned it into a 3 round burst machine pistol. VolksPistol because they were designed to be issued to German home guards and civilians with little firearms instruction if the Russians came through the Fulda Gap back in the day. Heavy pull so the civilians would be sure what they were shooting at, and a simple crossbolt safety.

It's not something anyone would carry for CCW, but it does have a certain something, if you're into unusual weapons. It was also the sidearm of many of the space Marines in the movie Aliens, if that makes any difference. Cool gun, I shoot mine time to time, and it always attracts attention at the range.

Aliens..really sweet I getting it on Monday

I know what the P7 Staple gun is worth so just waiting for one to show up in a showbox for trade. :faint:

cowboywannabe
01-21-2013, 00:00
everybody complains about the trigger pull but......aside from being long like a revolver whats wrong with it?

Hamilton Burger
01-21-2013, 00:19
Kinda cute. Does it shoot these?

http://i47.tinypic.com/vncpwi.jpg

nathanours
01-21-2013, 02:40
That this sure is hideous, especially the trigger.

nursetim
01-21-2013, 03:17
The Z is German for "Zivil" meaning "civillian". The "M" is "Militaer" for "military"

Thanks for the info. I was wishing for the wrong thing all those years? Well crap. Good thing I did get what I wished for.

number1gun
01-21-2013, 06:30
Yep VP70Z...horrible trigger. Polygonaly rifling. ..? I think 18 rd mag. Back of my brain says the groves in the rifling are so deep that you only end up with upper end .380 or very low end 9mm Balistics because gas leaches around the bullet as it travels down the barrel. I believe it was a way to limit over penetration as these guns were originally issued as a select fire (3 rd burst) weapon with a detachable shoulder stock to regular patrol LE. Some may have gotten into the US before the 86 ban but I have not heard of one. My advice is run away unless just a collector piece. The trigger really is horrendous and the grip feels strange.

deadmanglocking
01-21-2013, 07:22
Yep VP70Z...horrible trigger. Polygonaly rifling. ..? I think 18 rd mag. Back of my brain says the groves in the rifling are so deep that you only end up with upper end .380 or very low end 9mm Balistics because gas leaches around the bullet as it travels down the barrel. I believe it was a way to limit over penetration as these guns were originally issued as a select fire (3 rd burst) weapon with a detachable shoulder stock to regular patrol LE. Some may have gotten into the US before the 86 ban but I have not heard of one. My advice is run away unless just a collector piece. The trigger really is horrendous and the grip feels strange.

I may be wrong but I don't think the stocks were ever imported. I have the z model and it definitely gets attention at the range.

jhooten
01-21-2013, 13:45
There were some dealer sample Ms with the stock in the late 70s that were taken around to the various PDs building up their then new SWAT teams. Machine pistols were never popular here and most teams opted for another little known H&K product, the MP5.