Factory guide rod v. SS guide rod ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Factory guide rod v. SS guide rod ?

mrsig
01-20-2013, 17:40
I would be interested in opinions on if it is worth the expense to replace the factory guide rod and spring with a stainless unit ? Is it incrementally better on recoil & muzzle flip. I have been looking at some from the Glock Store but mainly for my 32, 20, & 21 as opposed to the 9mm & .40's. thanks.

akapennypincher
01-20-2013, 17:45
Factory works fine.

Rev.357
01-20-2013, 17:51
No better unless you plan to change the spring weights. Going to a heavy spring you will feel more recoil & lighter will batter the gun more but you will feel a little less recoil!

SCC
01-20-2013, 17:54
Stock for me ..

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

01-20-2013, 18:18
if you're looking to change perceived recoil, you may want to look into dual spring or triple spring RSAs....

here is a thread from a little while back that may answer your questions...

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1464819

Scrappy
01-20-2013, 18:34
First don't buy from Glock store!!!
Second the Stainless ones should in theory give better accuracy because no flex like plastic ones. They weigh a tad more so might help alittle with muzzle flip and recoil in theory.
Better piece of mind too. With that said I ordered one from Lone Wolf. So I shall see myself,lol.

todd_g
01-20-2013, 18:38
Factory for me, spend your money extra mags or something.

LASTRESORT20
01-20-2013, 18:42
I have SS and it works well with Piece of mind....Factory makes good spare

DannyR
01-20-2013, 19:22
The only purpose of a guide rod is to align the recoil spring. I use factory units in all my Glocks. Stainless steel will neither improve your accuracy nor your sex life.

itstime
01-20-2013, 19:28
The only purpose of a guide rod is to align the recoil spring. I use factory units in all my Glocks. Stainless steel will neither improve your accuracy nor your sex life.

I agree with this statement. I did SS on one gun, a G17 and left the others stock. No difference to me.

unit1069
01-20-2013, 19:36
The Wolff stainless steel guide rod and 20# Wolff spring sure makes my G-32 a dream to shoot. A considerable improvement over the stock Glock RSA, in my opinion.

SJ 40
01-20-2013, 20:49
Factory for myself,after market will lighten your wallet. SJ 40

JakeFromStateFarm
01-20-2013, 21:11
Factory is prefectly fine, BUT I ordered a SS rod just to see for my self as well. Always been curious.

Bill Lumberg
01-21-2013, 06:15
Not worth more than 50 cents. But I haven't heard of any pandemic problems from them. I would be interested in opinions on if it is worth the expense to replace the factory guide rod and spring with a stainless unit ? Is it incrementally better on recoil & muzzle flip. I have been looking at some from the Glock Store but mainly for my 32, 20, & 21 as opposed to the 9mm & .40's. thanks.

Bruce M
01-21-2013, 06:47
The only purpose of a guide rod is to align the recoil spring. I use factory units in all my Glocks. Stainless steel will neither improve your accuracy nor your sex life.:rofl::rofl:

Factory for myself,after market will lighten your wallet. SJ 40:rofl::rofl:

TTex
01-21-2013, 06:47
In my opinion the Gen 4 stock unit with dual recoil spring looks pretty hardy so I dont change them, the Gen 3's on the other hand seem pretty flimsy. I changed mine out in my Gen 3 17, but didnt mess with my Gen 4's. If you are looking for a more robust/rugged part I give the advantage to the stainless steel, but if you are looking for accuarcy, or recoil reduction then the benifits are negligable.

Paxmo
01-21-2013, 06:59
After 19 yrs I replaced the original gr with a ss with heavier weight. Noted better lockup and improvement in accuracy.:wavey:

akapennypincher
01-21-2013, 07:03
Buy an Extra Factory Rod they are CHEEP.

bunk22
01-21-2013, 07:45
I've got them in my Glocks, they look good but no difference from stock that I can tell.

cciman
01-21-2013, 10:14
You don't really NEED anything beyond factory, unless you are planning to shoot continuously until the guide rod melts. Even then it will continue to function. Or you are hand loading and want to vary your spring pressures, or competition shooting with very light loads. Those are the only practical reasons.

The only reason the guide rod is there (for most consumers) is to allow you to easily position the spring before putting the slide on. The stock unit is very hardy, and simple-- as well as cheap and easy to replace. I'm sure alot more GLOCK R&D went into the RSA design than the sellers of the rods did. The Gen4 rod was in answer to the Lego mentality, raised the price, did not change the function, and made it less tolerant to ammo variety

The Steel GR is just another COOL thing you can do, spend money on, and brag about-- but really think of what you are achieving over stock. It does not make you gun more accurate or reliable. If you wanna change springs, better do your research.

Scrappy
01-21-2013, 18:45
Well that fact you can change springs to different weights is a plus with the SS rod.
Like say the Gen 3 stock spring for the G19 and 23 are the same. I would think they would of used at least a 19-20 lb spring for the G23 . Any thoughts on that?

cciman
01-21-2013, 19:31
They did not pick these numbers out of a hat.
Using a lighter spring actually improves shooter perception of recoil, as well as a wider tolerance for variable factory powder loads.

General rules of thumb: Lighter spring => reduced shooter perceived recoil, brass thrown further, powder loads can be reduced also. Heavier spring => higher recoil perceived by shooter, brass thrown closer, powder loads need to be adequate to overcome spring for adequate cycling.

Obviously, using the same spring for multiple calibers improves manufacturing efficiency too.

Unless you want to mess with the unknown, or are into competition or ammo testing, stay close to factory specs. Safer to go down 1# than to go up.

Well that fact you can change springs to different weights is a plus with the SS rod.
Like say the Gen 3 stock spring for the G19 and 23 are the same. I would think they would of used at least a 19-20 lb spring for the G23 . Any thoughts on that?

Bmfg1223
01-24-2013, 12:05
glad i read this first. i was looking at one myself. looks like another mag instead

Gustavo
01-24-2013, 13:04
I got one made for my G31, besides being "unbreakable" I feel no difference. I also put a heavier spring and recoil feels softer.

SCmasterblaster
01-24-2013, 17:27
Stock for me.

deputy1199
01-26-2013, 13:24
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. A while back I was going to the range 3 days a week and putting 1,000 rounds (.40 reloads) through my G23 and G27 each week. After a few weeks at that rate the front ends of the stock guide rod of each gun cracked and fell off upon disassembly for cleaning. Mine broke and, therefore, were replaced by SS guide rods which have functioned with no problems for years now. Just for reassurance that it will not happen again.

barth
01-26-2013, 13:31
I've used stainless and tungsten RSAs in my gen 3 G27.
There is no difference to OEM that I can tell.
The plastic tip on my OEM RSA can get chewed up.
And need some fussing to seat right.
And I guess there is a chance the plastic RSA could break.
So I run a SS Lightning Strike.
But is it really worth the money???

micdude
01-26-2013, 14:04
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. A while back I was going to the range 3 days a week and putting 1,000 rounds (.40 reloads) through my G23 and G27 each week. After a few weeks at that rate the front ends of the stock guide rod of each gun cracked and fell off upon disassembly for cleaning. Mine broke and, therefore, were replaced by SS guide rods which have functioned with no problems for years now. Just for reassurance that it will not happen again.

This is the same thing I had happen and why I now have SS guide rods now.

Mochahooligan
01-26-2013, 15:31
Stock for me ..

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

This for me too!