M&P .40 vs. Glock 22 - A Glock Fan's Thoughts [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : M&P .40 vs. Glock 22 - A Glock Fan's Thoughts

ShaneS
01-20-2013, 22:51
I am a long time Glock fan. I bought a M&P .40 this past week because a CHL student of mine had one and liked it. The M&P has some good features and looks and feels more refined to me. I like the looks and feel of M&P. Fits my hand perfectly.

I took my Gen 3 Glock 22 and the new M&P to the range to shoot side by side with the same ammo. The Glock definitely felt more blocky in my hand but seemed to absorb the recoil better. The M&P seemed a little more snappy and I felt the recoil sting in my hand and finger a little. Less flex? The new M&P ran flawlessly through its first 75 rounds of Winchester WB FMJ, Winchester Ranger JHP and my handloads.

I think the Glock trigger is smoother and lighter. The M&P trigger is a bit gritty and heavier in comparison. I may work on the trigger a little later. An M&P Pro model I handled at a LGS had a great trigger.

I like the M&P's stainless guide rod, sights, slide design and grip over the Glock.

My "God Bless Texas" engraved Glock 22 isn't going anywhere but I really like the features and feel of the M&P better except the trigger. I took an 11 pt buck with the G22 this fall!

How do you think they compare? Any worthwhile upgrades for the M&P? Easy trigger improvements? Must have accessories?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Omaha-BeenGlockin
01-20-2013, 23:35
You can get a S&W barrel for like $90 bucks and turn it into a .357 Sig-----no other changes needed---just drop the barrel in.

New calibers are fun----right?

Stang_Man
01-21-2013, 00:14
I shot both.

I like the grip of the M&P, and the "smoothness" of the trigger.

But, I hate that jointed trigger design. And the gun, overall, just feels cheap.

Glad I went with the G22. Solid performer with zero malfunctions.

gooffeyguy
01-21-2013, 00:23
What ammo did you use on the 11pt buck and how many shots?

skeeter7
01-21-2013, 03:40
Even though I don't like either enough to own one, I have shot both and I like the ergos on the M&P a bit more but I think the Glock trigger is a bit better.

ShaneS
01-21-2013, 09:03
Thank you for your comments.

I normally hunt hogs with a 6" .357 Ruger GP-100 from a bow stand, but that day I was going to shoot one with my Glock 22. I thought hogs were coming in when a couple of does came in followed by the 11 point buck. He was so close (15-20) yards that I shot him with the Glock. There was no way to maneuver my rifle to shoot him with it. I shot him with a 155gr Winchester Ranger JHP. The first shot put him down. A second head shot ended it. I recovered the bullet from the hide at the exit wound. It was perfectly mushroomed or expanded. I was very pleased with its performance but will stick with the .357 in the future. The buck had a point broken off or it would have been 12 points. One of the best deer taken on that deer lease in decades. I'll try to post a picture later.

Restless28
01-21-2013, 09:19
Thank you for your comments.

I normally hunt hogs with a 6" .357 Ruger GP-100 from a bow stand, but that day I was going to shoot one with my Glock 22. I thought hogs were coming in when a couple of does came in followed by the 11 point buck. He was so close (15-20) yards that I shot him with the Glock. There was no way to maneuver my rifle to shoot him with it. I shot him with a 155gr Winchester Ranger JHP. The first shot put him down. A second head shot ended it. I recovered the bullet from the hide at the exit wound. It was perfectly mushroomed or expanded. I was very pleased with its performance but will stick with the .357 in the future. The buck had a point broken off or it would have been 12 points. One of the best deer taken on that deer lease in decades. I'll try to post a picture later.

Please post pics!

ShaneS
01-21-2013, 09:46

11 point buck taken with my Glock 22 in Fall 2012 near Graham, Texas.

ctfireman
01-21-2013, 12:46
I want to love the M&P but can't get over my hatred for the trigger. Sold my M&P 9 talo to a member here not long ago. I loved everything else about it.

bmoore
01-21-2013, 16:25
I have an M&P40, I really like it but I am just a Glock fan through and through. I went back to a Glock 17.

Joshhtn
01-21-2013, 16:27

VERY nice!! What load did you use?

FLglockdude
01-21-2013, 16:29
I sold my G22 for an M&P40. I thought it handled the recoil much better than the Glock. The trigger reset on the Glock was much better than the M&P but that's the only thing I thought was better.

Sent from my Obama phone.

SDGlock23
01-21-2013, 18:19
Nice deer, I wanted to take one with the G35 earlier this year but didn't get the chance. I like the feel of the M&P, but I'm Glock through and through. The one thing about the M&P I didn't like was the trigger, too mushy/gritty.

Restless28
01-21-2013, 18:26

Impressive.

bac1023
01-22-2013, 07:31
I also prefer the rgonomics of the M&P over Glock.

I still need to get one, however.

fuzzy03cls
01-22-2013, 07:41
Same here. Liked the gun except for the trigger. Too heavy. Rented one to compare. However the gen 4 grip fits me great.

00Glazz
01-22-2013, 08:24
https://apextactical.com/store/product-list.php?pg1-cid11.html

There is the site you need for M&P trigger kits. All are easy to install and basically drop in. I have one in my m&p9 and going to put one in my shield eventually!

ShaneS
01-22-2013, 08:42
I shot him with a 155 gr Winchester Ranger JHP from 15-20 yards. The first shot put him down. A second head shot ended it. I recovered the bullet from the hide at the exit wound. It was perfectly mushroomed or expanded. Winchester would have been proud.

Cwlongshot
01-22-2013, 08:49
Have you seen or shot the new VTec?

I have been very impressed with this M&P version!

I don't know if a 40 is avalible, a nine is not speaking to me if a 40/45 is avalible.

Congrats on the buck!
About 25 plus years back I shot my first with a hand gun about the same way. I was watching a couple does feed toward me thru the rifle scope. When I realized something was closer. I slowly adjusted my view and a small buck appeared heading my direction. I was saying to my self how long his whiskers where when he passed behind a tree and my muzzle touched the tree. I slowly I holstered my 45 ACP loaded with 230g Fed Hydra shocks and dropped him at the shot at about 8 feet. Quite a experience!

Thanks for sharing your story, it reminded me of mine!

CW

bear62
01-22-2013, 09:01
Maybe I'm blinded by my love for my Glocks ....... I just prefer them over the M&P. :wavey: