M&P .40 vs. Glock 22 - A Glock Fan's Thoughts [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : M&P .40 vs. Glock 22 - A Glock Fan's Thoughts

ShaneS
01-20-2013, 23:51
I am a long time Glock fan. I bought a M&P .40 this past week because a CHL student of mine had one and liked it. The M&P has some good features and looks and feels more refined to me. I like the looks and feel of M&P. Fits my hand perfectly.

I took my Gen 3 Glock 22 and the new M&P to the range to shoot side by side with the same ammo. The Glock definitely felt more blocky in my hand but seemed to absorb the recoil better. The M&P seemed a little more snappy and I felt the recoil sting in my hand and finger a little. Less flex? The new M&P ran flawlessly through its first 75 rounds of Winchester WB FMJ, Winchester Ranger JHP and my handloads.

I think the Glock trigger is smoother and lighter. The M&P trigger is a bit gritty and heavier in comparison. I may work on the trigger a little later. An M&P Pro model I handled at a LGS had a great trigger.

I like the M&P's stainless guide rod, sights, slide design and grip over the Glock.

My "God Bless Texas" engraved Glock 22 isn't going anywhere but I really like the features and feel of the M&P better except the trigger. I took an 11 pt buck with the G22 this fall!

How do you think they compare? Any worthwhile upgrades for the M&P? Easy trigger improvements? Must have accessories?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Omaha-BeenGlockin
01-21-2013, 00:35
You can get a S&W barrel for like $90 bucks and turn it into a .357 Sig-----no other changes needed---just drop the barrel in.

New calibers are fun----right?

Stang_Man
01-21-2013, 01:14
I shot both.

I like the grip of the M&P, and the "smoothness" of the trigger.

But, I hate that jointed trigger design. And the gun, overall, just feels cheap.

Glad I went with the G22. Solid performer with zero malfunctions.

gooffeyguy
01-21-2013, 01:23
What ammo did you use on the 11pt buck and how many shots?

skeeter7
01-21-2013, 04:40
Even though I don't like either enough to own one, I have shot both and I like the ergos on the M&P a bit more but I think the Glock trigger is a bit better.

ShaneS
01-21-2013, 10:03
Thank you for your comments.

I normally hunt hogs with a 6" .357 Ruger GP-100 from a bow stand, but that day I was going to shoot one with my Glock 22. I thought hogs were coming in when a couple of does came in followed by the 11 point buck. He was so close (15-20) yards that I shot him with the Glock. There was no way to maneuver my rifle to shoot him with it. I shot him with a 155gr Winchester Ranger JHP. The first shot put him down. A second head shot ended it. I recovered the bullet from the hide at the exit wound. It was perfectly mushroomed or expanded. I was very pleased with its performance but will stick with the .357 in the future. The buck had a point broken off or it would have been 12 points. One of the best deer taken on that deer lease in decades. I'll try to post a picture later.

Restless28
01-21-2013, 10:19
Thank you for your comments.

I normally hunt hogs with a 6" .357 Ruger GP-100 from a bow stand, but that day I was going to shoot one with my Glock 22. I thought hogs were coming in when a couple of does came in followed by the 11 point buck. He was so close (15-20) yards that I shot him with the Glock. There was no way to maneuver my rifle to shoot him with it. I shot him with a 155gr Winchester Ranger JHP. The first shot put him down. A second head shot ended it. I recovered the bullet from the hide at the exit wound. It was perfectly mushroomed or expanded. I was very pleased with its performance but will stick with the .357 in the future. The buck had a point broken off or it would have been 12 points. One of the best deer taken on that deer lease in decades. I'll try to post a picture later.

Please post pics!

ShaneS
01-21-2013, 10:46

11 point buck taken with my Glock 22 in Fall 2012 near Graham, Texas.

ctfireman
01-21-2013, 13:46
I want to love the M&P but can't get over my hatred for the trigger. Sold my M&P 9 talo to a member here not long ago. I loved everything else about it.

bmoore
01-21-2013, 17:25
I have an M&P40, I really like it but I am just a Glock fan through and through. I went back to a Glock 17.

Joshhtn
01-21-2013, 17:27

VERY nice!! What load did you use?

FLglockdude
01-21-2013, 17:29
I sold my G22 for an M&P40. I thought it handled the recoil much better than the Glock. The trigger reset on the Glock was much better than the M&P but that's the only thing I thought was better.

Sent from my Obama phone.

SDGlock23
01-21-2013, 19:19
Nice deer, I wanted to take one with the G35 earlier this year but didn't get the chance. I like the feel of the M&P, but I'm Glock through and through. The one thing about the M&P I didn't like was the trigger, too mushy/gritty.

Restless28
01-21-2013, 19:26

Impressive.

bac1023
01-22-2013, 08:31
I also prefer the rgonomics of the M&P over Glock.

I still need to get one, however.

fuzzy03cls
01-22-2013, 08:41
Same here. Liked the gun except for the trigger. Too heavy. Rented one to compare. However the gen 4 grip fits me great.

00Glazz
01-22-2013, 09:24
https://apextactical.com/store/product-list.php?pg1-cid11.html

There is the site you need for M&P trigger kits. All are easy to install and basically drop in. I have one in my m&p9 and going to put one in my shield eventually!

ShaneS
01-22-2013, 09:42
I shot him with a 155 gr Winchester Ranger JHP from 15-20 yards. The first shot put him down. A second head shot ended it. I recovered the bullet from the hide at the exit wound. It was perfectly mushroomed or expanded. Winchester would have been proud.

Cwlongshot
01-22-2013, 09:49
Have you seen or shot the new VTec?

I have been very impressed with this M&P version!

I don't know if a 40 is avalible, a nine is not speaking to me if a 40/45 is avalible.

Congrats on the buck!
About 25 plus years back I shot my first with a hand gun about the same way. I was watching a couple does feed toward me thru the rifle scope. When I realized something was closer. I slowly adjusted my view and a small buck appeared heading my direction. I was saying to my self how long his whiskers where when he passed behind a tree and my muzzle touched the tree. I slowly I holstered my 45 ACP loaded with 230g Fed Hydra shocks and dropped him at the shot at about 8 feet. Quite a experience!

Thanks for sharing your story, it reminded me of mine!

CW

bear62
01-22-2013, 10:01
Maybe I'm blinded by my love for my Glocks ....... I just prefer them over the M&P. :wavey:

pjcolorado
05-23-2014, 05:50
I currently have both. I have a Gen 3 22 with Tru Glo night sights and a Hogue grip. I love this gun and have tons of holsters for it. I've had Glocks for about 20 years now . I currently also have a 4th Gen23, 3rd gen 21, 27, and recently sold my 30 with Crimson Trace laser to get an HK USP compact 40. Last September I got a limited edition M&P 40 in desert earth. It came with a range kit including three 15 round mags a kydex holster and double mag holster. I really like this gun and it feels amazing in my hand, BUT...... It shoots very nice, however I'm not crazy about the trigger but after having so many different types of pistols over the years it is what it is, and I just got used to it. I however feel the Glock is still better built. If it came down to it I would choose the Glock every time. It just seems more reliable and better quality to me. Just a heads up. The M&P full sized 40/9 fits in all my Glock 21 holsters perfectly so I didn't need to buy new holsters for it. I use my Blackhawk Serpa level 2 retention holster or my Safariland duty holster with streamlight accessory light and it's a perfect fit in both holsters.
I know I can use my Glock 22 mags in my 23 and 27 but does anyone know if the full sized M&P mags will fit in the compacts? I didn't really think about that till now.

FiremanMike
05-24-2014, 04:48
I am a long time Glock fan. I bought a M&P .40 this past week because a CHL student of mine had one and liked it. The M&P has some good features and looks and feels more refined to me. I like the looks and feel of M&P. Fits my hand perfectly.

I took my Gen 3 Glock 22 and the new M&P to the range to shoot side by side with the same ammo. The Glock definitely felt more blocky in my hand but seemed to absorb the recoil better. The M&P seemed a little more snappy and I felt the recoil sting in my hand and finger a little. Less flex? The new M&P ran flawlessly through its first 75 rounds of Winchester WB FMJ, Winchester Ranger JHP and my handloads.

I think the Glock trigger is smoother and lighter. The M&P trigger is a bit gritty and heavier in comparison. I may work on the trigger a little later. An M&P Pro model I handled at a LGS had a great trigger.

I like the M&P's stainless guide rod, sights, slide design and grip over the Glock.

My "God Bless Texas" engraved Glock 22 isn't going anywhere but I really like the features and feel of the M&P better except the trigger. I took an 11 pt buck with the G22 this fall!

How do you think they compare? Any worthwhile upgrades for the M&P? Easy trigger improvements? Must have accessories?

It's sad to hear that they're still having issues with gritty triggers. I remember my m&p45 trigger was so bad that it threw my shooting off.

When I switched back to glock from m&p, the single biggest reason was that I prefer the glock 26 in every way to the m&p9c. Once that switch was made, I went back to the glock 19 for duty and never looked back..

pjcolorado
05-24-2014, 05:25
Yes. Unfortunately the stock triggers still suck pretty much. The one I recently got was brand new. It was an exclusive color only from Cabelas Sporting Goods. My friend has a new G22 in that desert tan color that glock has and looking at that side by side with my M&P after seeing that and a couple other caliber Glocks at the gun store in that color it seems like the coloring and finish is way nicer on the Glocks. It's more solid of a color than the M&P. The M&P's dark earth coloring seems kind of cheap after looking at the two guns. Almost like there's some blackish coloring . Like it's not a solid color. It's not a huge deal and I really like my M&P but I'm just comparing the qualities as I go along and just noticing small things between the two . I did just go on ebay and bought a nice matching kydex iwb holster in tan to match the M&P though. The thing that's sad to me is that I have 2 M&P AR 15 rifles and love them both. Excellent triggers on both and very solidly built but for some reason they can't get it right on their pistols as much.

ShaneS
05-24-2014, 08:27
As the OP, I suppose I should update this old thread. I stand by my original comments about the M&P .40 FS.

The M&P .40 FS that I bought in Jan 2013 and is the subject of this thread still has a slightly heavy trigger. It is reliable and accurate. The heavier trigger does affect my accuracy. I haven't done anything to the trigger except shoot it, hoping it wears in a bit nicer. It could really benefit from an Apex kit.

I bought a M&P 9mm FS in Nov 2013 that has a very nice smooth and much lighter trigger - as nice as my Glocks. It feels like the trigger I experienced with an M&P Pro model. It is rumored that S&W upgraded the trigger between the purchase of the two models I own, and I believe it.

Glocks are still my favorite. They may feel a little blocky in comparison to M&Ps but usually have better triggers. I have owned and shot Glocks for many years and they have my confidence.

You can't go wrong with Glock or S&W M&P. The M&P has some nice upgraded features over the Glock and better ergonomics. I still like Glocks better for their better triggers, reliability and simplicity. The finish on the newer Glocks is really inferior, though.

Since the OP, I have purchased a Glock 35 and become preoccupied with two G20SF 10mms. They are blast to shoot and reload for if you reload!

ranger1968
05-24-2014, 08:47
While I like the M&P, the pistol has always felt sort of fragile to me, and I have always wondered how it would hold up over extended hard use;

My impression, which is just that, was always "this thing feels like if I had it operationally , I'm gonna break it" ... I have no hard evidence to back that feeling, it's just the way the pistol has always felt to me;

I can tell you that when I run classes, my students are generally doing 600-750 rounds in a day, and for the most part the M&P's that people have seem to run fine.....

Revvv
05-24-2014, 09:34
I have both. The trigger in the M&P is terrible. I swapped it for an Apex. It's much better now, but definitely not a Glock.

Sent by Morse code using rocks and cup phones.

NailShooter
05-24-2014, 23:00
I own both a G23 and an M&P40. I'd rather shoot the M&P but would rather carry the Glock.

The trigger on my M&P seems OK. I have found that the triggers on the M&P's can vary gun to gun a fair amount. Try a few side by side before you buy if possible.

The recoil impulse seems more snappy and sharp with the Glock but it's a slightly smaller less ergo gun than the larger M&P.

cowboy1964
05-25-2014, 02:47
No way a stock Glock trigger "feels" lighter than a stock M&P trigger. IMO.

cowboy1964
05-25-2014, 02:48
I own both a G23 and an M&P40. I'd rather shoot the M&P but would rather carry the Glock.

Same here. The M&P is a really sweet shooter.

4Rules
05-25-2014, 10:55
...Any worthwhile upgrades for the M&P? Easy trigger improvements?

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid35.html

ca survivor
05-25-2014, 13:05
I have the MP .45 FS, with the small back strap fits me much better that the Glock 21 I used to have, I only buy MPs with the thumb safety though

Slug71
05-25-2014, 13:41
M&p40

Will Beararms
05-25-2014, 16:20
Go browse the S and W forum. They have some work to do but they are getting there.

TxGlock9
05-25-2014, 16:42
Mp triggers suck but glad theres apex for that