New G26 Gen3 Issues at Range [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New G26 Gen3 Issues at Range

ba3720
01-21-2013, 21:21
Well, I have had a G23 for over 4 years and love it. Decided to pick up a new G26 Gen3 last week with a Oct 2012 fire date. Went to the range with it for the first time this afternoon, and so far have not been impressed. Prior to going to the range, I pulled the slide off, gave the barrel a good cleaning added just a little oil in all the normal spots. Loaded up with Blazer Brass 115 gr. First 5 rounds were flawless and ejected off to the right with no issue. Most of the last 5 rounds jammed. Most were FTF and the bullet was always stuck on the lower left corner of the barrel. I could usually rack again and the round would go in. Sometimes it wouldn't and I would have to eject the mag, and let the round fall out. Tried using both mag's over 80 rounds and had the same experience each time. First 5 rounds went fine, last 5 would have issues. Unfortunately I didn't have any other ammo to try. Also, usually the last round would load ok but the slide never locked back after the last round was ejected. I could pull the slide back again with the empty mag and it would lock back. Any ideas? It has the 336 ejector. I tried to snap a few pic's with my cell phone to show what it looked like.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks.

grapony
01-21-2013, 21:32
On that second pic it doesn't look like the slide went back far enough to pickup the round. Hold it with two hands and try it again, It sounds like you limpwristing it.

callman
01-21-2013, 22:21
I just had the same issue with my brand new gen3 G26 on Saturday. It worked great for me but did exactly what you are describing as your malfunction when my wife fired it. I suspect limp wristing to be the culprit as well. Try to use a more firm grip and post back if that worked for you. Good luck!

Andy W
01-21-2013, 23:17
I just had the same issue with my brand new gen3 G26 on Saturday. It worked great for me but did exactly what you are describing as your malfunction when my wife fired it. I suspect limp wristing to be the culprit as well. Try to use a more firm grip and post back if that worked for you. Good luck!

The OP said he also has a G23 which has worked well for him. I would think that if he had a limpwristing habit, the G23 would also experience similar malfunctions.

ba3720
01-21-2013, 23:29
Thanks for the quick replies. I suspected limp wristing as well but if that was the case, seems like I would have had the problem more often. I was using both hands and felt like I had a firm grip. As I said, out of the eight mag fulls I shot, I never had the issue in the first 5 rounds from each. Also while I was at the range today, shot about 30 rounds out if my G23 without issue. Could it be an issue with the mags?

Thanks again.

Maester Aemon
01-21-2013, 23:46
I would try some hotter ammo and see how it works. Could be a stiff recoil spring having trouble with the blazer ammo. A friend had a similar issue with Federal Champion with his new 26 and after shooting some higher powered ammo it seemed to "break in." It now cycles anything we've tried to run threw it.

TxGlock9
01-21-2013, 23:46
Have someone else shoot it.

garjc90
01-21-2013, 23:53
I would try some hotter ammo and see how it works. Could be a stiff recoil spring having trouble with the blazer ammo. A friend had a similar issue with Federal Champion with his new 26 and after shooting some higher powered ammo it seemed to "break in." It now cycles anything we've tried to run threw it.

I agree with this. Try this. Mine doesnt have an issue but for the most part i was using golddots 124gr and now it eats it all including cheap 115gr. Try it and see what happens

ba3720
01-22-2013, 11:32
Thanks. I'll try some different ammo and see what happens.

SGT278ACR
01-22-2013, 11:45
Man, I hate to hear that. We rarely ever see a negative thread about the G26 regardless of generation. But as someone else suggested... have someone else fire a few dozen rounds through it to see if they get the same malfunctions. If it does... I say send it back to Smyrna and make them fix it. I bought a Gen3 G26 almost a year ago and have about 1000 rounds through it without a single problem. I've shot Hornady Critical Duty down to the cheap ass TulAmmo and everything in between. Mine has the 336 extractor too. No problems. It's my everyday carry gun. Hope you get it worked out. :wavey:

Colddeadhands
01-22-2013, 12:20
FWIW I have a new Gen 4 G26, and have had no malfunctions at all, with either Blazer Brass 115 (a few hundred rounds) or Speer Gold dot 124 (just a mag's worth).

I have also had no issues at all with my Gen 3 G17....after thousands of rounds and many flavors of ammo (though mostly Blazer Brass thanks to Wally World).

Some of the Blazer was keyholing at around 25 feet.....still trying to figure that one out.....

Bruce M
01-22-2013, 18:34
I agree with the thought of trying some different ammunition and if that does not work, trying having someone else try it before doing anything else. Sorry to hear you are having issues with your G26. Generally they are pretty good but I am sure a few bad ones get out once in a while.

Buttapollock1010
01-23-2013, 06:23
My wife was having a similar problem with her 26 gen 4. It was just the break in period I believe, just racking the slide caused it to jam. I thought it was just a bad mag but it wasnt. The gun now probably has 200+ rounds and is running great. I was getting pissed because I bought my wife the gun for home protection/carry and it was having issues! But we gave it a few more trips to the range and all seem well. She is putting some really nice groupings together. She has been shooting steel matches with me and getting better each trip. I think she is a better shot then me! My gen 3 has been flawless so far! Hopefully after about 5k+ rounds I can say that our glocks are just as reliable as my old faithful xd 9 service. Which I have never had an issue with!

ba3720
01-23-2013, 19:33
UPDATE - Good news, I went back to the range tonight to try again. The only "cheap" ammo they had was some Independence 115 gr. Figured I would take a chance with it and also picked up a box of Gold Dot +p 124 JHP. Loaded both mags up with the cheap stuff and went through all 20 rounds without a problem. Fired another 10 rounds, still no issue. I had another box of the Blazer I was shooting the first time out so I tried 10 rounds of it. The Blazer's continued to jam. Went through the rest of the box of Independence and only had 1 jam. I finished with shooting 20 rounds of the Gold Dot's and all went through without issue.

So, guess it's safe to say I won't be buying anymore Blazer anytime soon. I'm sure it will get better as it breaks in a little more, but I'm happy it appears to have been an issue with the ammo and not so much the gun.

I do appreciate all the help and comments you guys provided.

Thanks,
Brian

Scrappy
01-23-2013, 19:43
Look, I have run blazer brass and alum case through berettas, Sigs, S&W ,Czs, Glocks,Kimbers of 9,40,45 never an issue with any of them using blazer.

ba3720
01-23-2013, 20:36
I agree, I shoot Blazer Brass in my G23 all the time and have never had issue with it, so I'm not sure why it was giving me issues in my new G26.

Scrappy
01-23-2013, 20:38
I agree, I shoot Blazer Brass in my G23 all the time and have never had issue with it, so I'm not sure why it was giving me issues in my new G26.

I don't know,but blazer is my number 1 selection for practice ammo. I have used it in G26, 22, 19,17,30. Never a hiccup!But they were Gen 2 and 3 models

TxGlock9
01-24-2013, 00:37
UPDATE - Good news, I went back to the range tonight to try again. The only "cheap" ammo they had was some Independence 115 gr. Figured I would take a chance with it and also picked up a box of Gold Dot +p 124 JHP. Loaded both mags up with the cheap stuff and went through all 20 rounds without a problem. Fired another 10 rounds, still no issue. I had another box of the Blazer I was shooting the first time out so I tried 10 rounds of it. The Blazer's continued to jam. Went through the rest of the box of Independence and only had 1 jam. I finished with shooting 20 rounds of the Gold Dot's and all went through without issue.

So, guess it's safe to say I won't be buying anymore Blazer anytime soon. I'm sure it will get better as it breaks in a little more, but I'm happy it appears to have been an issue with the ammo and not so much the gun.

I do appreciate all the help and comments you guys provided.

Thanks,
Brian

Buy another box of blazer brass after 500 rounds and see if you can replicate the problem. If it doesn't than it might've been a bad batch from the factory; that or the chamber tolerences loosened up after "break in."(if there is such thing for glocks)

TheGlockTalker
01-24-2013, 00:40
A lot of the FTF and FTE problems associated with the Gen 4's started with the late Gen 3's.
I shoot Blazer all the time in my Glocks without any problems.