G26 Compression CC: UnderTech or 5.11? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G26 Compression CC: UnderTech or 5.11?

jlc767
01-22-2013, 12:27
Howdy folks! I've been away from the GT forums for a while now, but it's good to be back! :)

In just over a week I'll be taking my CC course and have decided to downsize from my G21 to something much smaller specifically, a Gen 4 G26. My cousin has been an inspiration to me, having had his CC for a while now, and constantly carrying his SIG on him at all times (with a Galco IWB). I hope to do the same with my subcompact Baby Glock.

But I have concerns about IWB, specifically with regard to comfort and discretion. I stumbled upon the UnderTech concealment shirts and sorta fell in love! To me, it seems to address all of my concerns. But I wanted to research further...

GlockStore has the UnderTech (link (http://glockstore.glockstore.com/undertech-undercover-v-neck-concealment-shirt)) for $49 (or 3 for $99) and they seem nice. I was leaning towards it when I stumbled upon the 5.11 Tactical version (link (http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Shirts/Concealed-Carry/Holster-Shirt.html#010)), which appears to be a bit more advanced with the additional material and, specifically, the shoulder yoke. It's a bit more pricey at $75.

Has anyone here used either of these compression shirts for concealed carry? YouTube only offers a couple reviews and was hoping to get a bit more feedback before investing in one. Thanks! :)

Bill Lumberg
01-22-2013, 13:25
They're okay. No substitute for a proper holster in my experience.

jlc767
01-22-2013, 14:45
They're okay. No substitute for a proper holster in my experience.

Sweet, so you've used one? Which?

I just figure: there's probably a 95-99% chance I'll never have to draw on someone and why spend my time carrying in any sort of discomfort if I don't have to? Sure, I'm losing a half-second+ (or more) draw time, but I'm willing to take the risk I'm a half-second too slow than deal with years of discomfort / obtrusive holsters. Am I wrong to think this way? I just feel like these shirts are a great idea and surprised that more people aren't using them. :)

Hooch0903
01-22-2013, 14:55
Personally, I think its the wrong train of thought...I've carried IWB for years...I've unintentionally carried into places I shouldn't because I've forgotten I'm carrying. Once you get a GOOD holster broke in, you'll feel naked without it...just my .02

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

SouthpawG26
01-22-2013, 15:49
OP, if your build remotely resembles mine (see my avatar for a rough idea), 5'11",185lbs, there is no chance in hell these shirts work..trust me. I cc a G26 as well.

You'll be yelling this all day to all those staring onlookers:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v672/cervelop2k/26798b898a92197cf6c749acf0ff9a21_zpsa5c9ad7a.jpg....under your armpit..

troysglock
01-22-2013, 16:11
I always like the old saying "odds don't matter when you're the one". Never tried one but drawing "looks" to be awkward from one of those shirts, but if you can get it out and fire 2 shots in under 2 seconds, go for it. I carry a MTAC, Milt Sparks belt, and a Glock 26 and I don't know it's there anymore.

GRT45
01-22-2013, 17:44
My usual carry is IWB, but for this style of holster the one I use and like is the Air Marshal 3 from Kangaroo Industries (http://www.kangaroocarry.com/). I first learned of it from an associate who is Director at a private security firm and their employees do bodyguard work for executives and public figures. It works well in business attire with a coat and tie and the shirt left unbuttoned under the tie. For more casual dress a shirt with velcro closure (http://www.deepconceal.com/concealed-carry-clothing-p/sl-shirt.htm) works well in combination with the holster.

MaximaDrvr
01-22-2013, 18:17
I have the 5.11 shirt. I tried it once. It is very, very itchy. What ever thread they used for stitching is not soft or comfortable. The shirt did work well for me though.
It may become more comfortable with a lot of washes, but mine did not make it that far. Now it sits in a box with all the other holsters I don't use.
I'm 6' and 200lbs, and it concealed fine under a button down.

Bill Lumberg
01-23-2013, 05:17
5.11 and several others. Uncomfortable, far more so than a proper belt mounted holster. Pretty inaccessible. For permitee carry, it's just not a good plan A. They do conceal well, but at an unacceptable cost. The only time I use one is for super deep concealment when nothing else is possible, or for a backup on an EP detail sometimes. I don't even know where mine are stored, I use them so infrequently.

This is Sweet, so you've used one? Which?

I just figure: there's probably a 95-99% chance I'll never have to draw on someone and why spend my time carrying in any sort of discomfort if I don't have to? Sure, I'm losing a half-second+ (or more) draw time, but I'm willing to take the risk I'm a half-second too slow than deal with years of discomfort / obtrusive holsters. Am I wrong to think this way? I just feel like these shirts are a great idea and surprised that more people aren't using them. :)