Glock 19 Gen 4 USA made review: [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 Gen 4 USA made review:

rxs0
01-22-2013, 12:17
Glock 19 Gen 4 USA made review:

I am a certified Glock Armorer with over 10 years of experience with various models of Glocks. I personally own several Glock models including the Glock 19 Gen 3, Glock 17 Gen 3, and Glock 26 Gen 3.

I recently bought a 9mm Glock Gen 4 USA made pistol at a local gun shop for $629 on 1/21/2013. The serial number is AAGG71X. The pistol was made in Smyrna, GA and test fired on 9/28/2012. The slide, barrel, and frame are labeled USA (not Austria). The quality of craftsmanship of the pistol is top notch. The fitting of the slide, barrel, and frame are nice and tight. No slop or loose fittings. I see no movement of the slide with the trigger is pressed. The pistol includes the non-dipped (straight) extractor, the 30274 ejector, and 0 3 4 recoil spring assembly. All the stamped engravings of the slide are uniform. The trigger is serrated. Trigger action and pull are comparable to my other Glock 19 Gen 3. I can identify no obvious defects in the gun. The finish is uniform and intact. It came with 3 15-round Austrian made magazines.

I just came back from the range after firing a total of 300 rounds of 9mm FMJ rounds. This included (50) 9mm Luger 124 gr. FMJ Blaser, (150) RWS (RUAG Ammotec GmbH) 9mm Luger 115 gr FMJ, and (100) Winchester 9mm Lugar 115 gr FMJ (Walmart) rounds. I would have shot more but ammo is really getting to be hard to find around here.

The gun performed flawlessly. No failure to eject or extract. No stove pipes. No malfunctions whatsoever. Beautiful. This is my most important criteria for a gun.

Accuracy was on par from what I expect from a Glock 19. My groups were comparable to my older Austrian Gen 3 Glock 19.

Recoil was surprisingly very mild. This is likely very comparable with my other Glock 19.

Ergonomics are very good. Very comfortable and stable pistol grip. I really never had a problem with the Gen 3 so this is not a big issue for me.

Now, in regards to BTF (Brass to Face), I only had three times where the brass hit me in the face. One to my forehead, one to the side of my mouth, and one to right corner of my eyeglass frame. They were all with the Walmart Winchester loads. All the other rounds ejected clear of my face, around 2 o'clock, about 1 foot from my head. I did have several piece of brass hit my right shoulder as well with the Winchester loads.

The spent brass did not look significantly different from my other Glock 19 Gen 3. The brass did not look overly deformed. Again, very similar to my other Glock 19 Gen 3.

As a whole, I am very happy with this pistol. I performed flawlessly. The quality is top notch. I really didn't find the BTF issue to be an issue for me. I would highly recommend this pistol to friends and would trust my life with it.

Take care,
Rich

jtrudel31
01-22-2013, 12:24

I am a certified Glock Armorer with over 10 years of experience with various models of Glocks. I personally own several Glock models including the Glock 19 Gen 3, Glock 17 Gen 3, and Glock 26 Gen 3.

I recently bought a 9mm Glock Gen 4 USA made pistol at a local gun shop for $629 on 1/21/2013. The serial number is AAGG71X. The pistol was made in Smyrna, GA and test fired on 9/28/2012. The slide, barrel, and frame are labeled USA (not Austria). The quality of craftsmanship of the pistol is top notch. The fitting of the slide, barrel, and frame are nice and tight. No slop or loose fittings. I see no movement of the slide with the trigger is pressed. The pistol includes the non-dipped (straight) extractor, the 30274 ejector, and 0 3 4 recoil spring assembly. All the stamped engravings of the slide are uniform. The trigger is serrated. Trigger action and pull are comparable to my other Glock 19 Gen 3. I can identify no obvious defects in the gun. The finish is uniform and intact. It came with 3 15-round Austrian made magazines.

I just came back from the range after firing a total of 300 rounds of 9mm FMJ rounds. This included (50) 9mm Luger 124 gr. FMJ Blaser, (150) RWS (RUAG Ammotec GmbH) 9mm Luger 115 gr FMJ, and (100) Winchester 9mm Lugar 115 gr FMJ (Walmart) rounds. I would have shot more but ammo is really getting to be hard to find around here.

The gun performed flawlessly. No failure to eject or extract. No stove pipes. No malfunctions whatsoever. Beautiful. This is my most important criteria for a gun.

Accuracy was on par from what I expect from a Glock 19. My groups were comparable to my older Austrian Gen 3 Glock 19.

Recoil was surprisingly very mild. This is likely very comparable with my other Glock 19.

Ergonomics are very good. Very comfortable and stable pistol grip. I really never had a problem with the Gen 3 so this is not a big issue for me.

Now, in regards to BTF (Brass to Face), I only had three times where the brass hit me in the face. One to my forehead, one to the side of my mouth, and one to right corner of my eyeglass frame. They were all with the Walmart Winchester loads. All the other rounds ejected clear of my face, around 2 o'clock, about 1 foot from my head. I did have several piece of brass hit my right shoulder as well with the Winchester loads.

The spent brass did not look significantly different from my other Glock 19 Gen 3. The brass did not look overly deformed. Again, very similar to my other Glock 19 Gen 3.

As a whole, I am very happy with this pistol. I performed flawlessly. The quality is top notch. I really didn't find the BTF issue to be an issue for me. I would highly recommend this pistol to friends and would trust my life with it.

Take care,
Rich

Install 336 ejector with your current extractor and I bet that cures your brass to face . I have done the same .

rxs0
01-22-2013, 12:30
Not necessary for me. I will just avoid the Winchester 9mm Lugar 115 gr FMJ (Walmart) rounds. I am happy with the pistol performance with the other ammo listed above.

I appreciate the advice.

Thanks,
Rich

INEEDMILK
01-22-2013, 12:32
Install 336 ejector with your current extractor and I bet that cures your brass to face . I have done the same .

wtf??

jtrudel31
01-22-2013, 12:36
Yes, that's what I said . Lol. After glock sent my pistol back 2nd time with the new non dipped extractor I reinstalled the 336 again just for kicks . And to my surprise in started ejecting like my gen 2 . It was purely an accident and partly thinking there was nothing wrong with the 336 to begin with.

glockguns
01-22-2013, 15:10

Take care,
Rich

Good to hear, especially coming from someone of your experience with Glocks. Great writeup. I also own a 9mm USA made G19 Gen 4 and everything you point out is what I have found except that it shoot WWB 115 really well for some reason. Federal 115gr, however, ejects weakly. I've got over 500 rounds in it with zero FTF/FTE, using all kinds of weak and SD ammo. Congrats !

rxs0
01-22-2013, 15:22
glockguns,

Thanks for the feedback. I did not experience any major gun related problem with any of the ammo I shot. I just had an occasional BTF. In my experience, this is not that much different from other Glocks and other gun manufacturers. There is no perfect gun. In my opinion, certain Glock models come pretty close to perfect. Other Glocks do not.

Thanks again,
Rich

INEEDMILK
01-22-2013, 20:24
Try the HRED white sound defense plunger. $20. fixed my occasional BTF issue.

Lee-online
01-22-2013, 20:55
I have the brother to your G19. I have, AAGG91*, test fired 09-28-12 by James Elwood. Does yours have the GA proof marks on the frame, slide and barrel?

I Picked it up at a gun show back in October.

I buy and shoot 147gr and haven't had any BTF.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/lees99f150/g19gen4.jpg

DEADEYEGUY
01-22-2013, 21:12
My US made GEN4 G19 has been perfect so far. Their has been no WWB to be had locally so I don't know how it will shoot in the gun. Mine also has the non-dipped extractor. I fired over 100 rounds of the weak 115gr. Monarch brass. And about 100 rounds of the Federal WalMart Red box. Along with Winchester NATO and a couple of middle weiht +P and +P+ rounds.
The only thing I had happen was two of the Monarch rounds only threw the ejected rounds a couple of feet. Even those were almost exactly at 3:00. The rest were between 3:00-4:00 with varying (but all decent) ejected distances. Not a single piece anywhere near my face or head. My other guns either had trouble right out of the box or it showed up after a few hundred or a couple thousand rounds.
I am a bit guarded but optomistic that my new gun is fine. I'm pretty certain the non-dipped extractor is making a difference in this gun. It's your gun nd if your o.k. with some BTF that's fine. But it has been my experience that once the BTF issue shows up you have a problem. But as long as your happy. Mines having night sights put on it riht now. But as far as your analysis goes I agree 100%. Seems to be as well made as any of the Austrian Glocks I've owned. I think it's neat having a US made Glock.

ChiTownPicaro
01-23-2013, 01:58
Tag for more updates.

Bruce M
01-23-2013, 05:43
Good to hear you are pleased with your new G19. I did not realize they had gone up that much in price!

glockguns
01-23-2013, 07:09
Yes, that's what I said . Lol. After glock sent my pistol back 2nd time with the new non dipped extractor I reinstalled the 336 again just for kicks . And to my surprise in started ejecting like my gen 2 . It was purely an accident and partly thinking there was nothing wrong with the 336 to begin with.

Have you shot any 115gr in it yet ? Is the 336 ejector the same ejector used in the Gen 2 ?

rxs0
01-23-2013, 08:31
Lee-online,
My gun looks just like your gun. Mind me for asking, but how much did you pay for your Glock 19 Gen 4?

Thanks,
Rich

Montblanc
01-23-2013, 08:49
I also have a USA made Glock 19 with GA proof marks, purchased a few weeks ago.

It seems to be very well made as well.

BMiracletx
01-23-2013, 10:04
Are these completely "made" in USA, or "assembled" in USA from parts made in Austria?

jtrudel31
01-23-2013, 11:05
Have you shot any 115gr in it yet ? Is the 336 ejector the same ejector used in the Gen 2 ?

Yes the gen 2 has 336 ejector as well. I still need to try the 115 gr through it , that will be the true test. So far just Winchester pdx 124+p and lawman 147gr. About 100rds total . Let you know when I do , should be soon if I can find some ammo! They used the336 ejector for 20 or so years so it has to work right

jtrudel31
01-23-2013, 11:11
My US made GEN4 G19 has been perfect so far. Their has been no WWB to be had locally so I don't know how it will shoot in the gun. Mine also has the non-dipped extractor. I fired over 100 rounds of the weak 115gr. Monarch brass. And about 100 rounds of the Federal WalMart Red box. Along with Winchester NATO and a couple of middle weiht +P and +P+ rounds.
The only thing I had happen was two of the Monarch rounds only threw the ejected rounds a couple of feet. Even those were almost exactly at 3:00. The rest were between 3:00-4:00 with varying (but all decent) ejected distances. Not a single piece anywhere near my face or head. My other guns either had trouble right out of the box or it showed up after a few hundred or a couple thousand rounds.
I am a bit guarded but optomistic that my new gun is fine. I'm pretty certain the non-dipped extractor is making a difference in this gun. It's your gun nd if your o.k. with some BTF that's fine. But it has been my experience that once the BTF issue shows up you have a problem. But as long as your happy. Mines having night sights put on it riht now. But as far as your analysis goes I agree 100%. Seems to be as well made as any of the Austrian Glocks I've owned. I think it's neat having a US made Glock.

I agree that the non dipped has no doubt been an improvement over the dipped . The non dipped in addition with the 336 might be the perfect recipe . I'm testing it to find out . So far so good

Lee-online
01-23-2013, 18:43
Lee-online,
My gun looks just like your gun. Mind me for asking, but how much did you pay for your Glock 19 Gen 4?

Thanks,
Rich

It was $539 plus $32 tax. It was an impulse purchase, only picked it up because it was made in USA. I already have a gen 3 g19.

Last weekend i saw a gen 3 G26 USA. Almost picked that up but decided not too.