Purchasing a used rifle [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a used rifle

DairyLandShooter
01-22-2013, 12:44
Hi all,

This weekend I plan on traveling to a neighboring state to take a look at a used Marlin 336 30-30 lever action rifle. I've been wanting one for a while. Since the purchase of Marlin by Remington I have been told quite a few times the new rifles are less than acceptable, so I have decided to search used. I located one and plan to go and take a look, possibly purchase. It is 4 hours away, however the owner claims to be the original owner and said the gun has only had a dozen rounds through it.

Is it stupid to drive this far away for one of these rifles?

Also, what type of things should I be asking/looking for?

They want $400 for it. Claims it was manufactured in 92'

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

RWBlue
01-22-2013, 12:58
I drove 4 hours one way to trade. Not buy, not sell, trade one AK for another AK. So the transaction cost me a day of my life and gas money.

So....it depends on how bad you want an older Marlin in 30-30. For me it is not on my wish list, so ....

Now if it were a ......

MrMurphy
01-22-2013, 12:58
http://armscollectors.com/sn/marlinlookup.php

Marlin serial numbers by year.

$400 is a bit high. I'd want to really eyeball it. That said, if it's not made within the last four years they're hard to screw up. If it visually looks good and the action works smoothly, i'd get it.

deputy tom
01-22-2013, 13:49
^^ Ditto what Mr. Murphy said. tom.:cool:

ETA see if he is willing to ship to your local FFL.

silentpoet
01-22-2013, 15:27
Look at the journey as an adventure. Be prepared to be disappointed and not buy the rifle. Not saying it will be bad, but you have to be prepared to walk away if it is not as you would like.

Bob Hafler
01-22-2013, 19:45
I sounds a bit high but not completely out of hand. I'd see if there was anything interesting to see or do on your trip other than the gun.

davsco
01-22-2013, 20:06
not sure but don't think you will be able to buy it on the spot without going thru a ffl?

Bob Hafler
01-23-2013, 04:28
not sure but don't think you will be able to buy it on the spot without going thru a ffl?

Ask him if there is a GS near by where you could make the transfer while your there.

Haldor
01-23-2013, 06:02
Hi all,

This weekend I plan on traveling to a neighboring state to take a look at a used Marlin 336 30-30 lever action rifle. I've been wanting one for a while. Since the purchase of Marlin by Remington I have been told quite a few times the new rifles are less than acceptable, so I have decided to search used. I located one and plan to go and take a look, possibly purchase. It is 4 hours away, however the owner claims to be the original owner and said the gun has only had a dozen rounds through it.

Is it stupid to drive this far away for one of these rifles?

Also, what type of things should I be asking/looking for?

They want $400 for it. Claims it was manufactured in 92'

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

$400 is the new in the box price.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/41183

4 hours each way is probably ~ 600 miles round trip. Assuming average mileage that is going to cost you $100 in gas.

$500 plus 8 hours of your time is too much to pay for a used 30-30 unless it is a Pre 1964 Winchester. Go to a local gun show with $400 in hand and you will come home with a rifle you like and change.

Another issue is crossing state lines to buy a gun. Is this 4 hour away sale in the same state? If not you need to tread very carefully.

The_Gun_Guru
01-23-2013, 06:11
$400 is the new in the box price.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/41183

4 hours each way is probably ~ 600 miles round trip. Assuming average mileage that is going to cost you $100 in gas.

$500 plus 8 hours of your time is too much to pay for a used 30-30 unless it is a Pre 1964 Winchester. Go to a local gun show with $400 in hand and you will come home with a rifle you like and change.

Another issue is crossing state lines to buy a gun. Is this 4 hour away sale in the same state? If not you need to tread very carefully.

^Excellent advice!

Also, check your local shops for used guns. Treasures are out there, you just need to look for them.

TGG

Bren
01-23-2013, 06:37
Seems a little extreme. I really don't get the internet/long-distance gun dealing. I just go to a local gun store or show and get a gun - occasionally buy one from a Glock Talk member. Farthest I have ever driven is about 40 miles.

Spiffums
01-23-2013, 06:45
I don't think its dumb to drive a couple hours for what ya want. I have seen some sweet deals on pretty nice items here on a local board. People always says "Man your 2 -3 hours away :( I been looking all over for that"... I have learned that really means "I want it but I don't have the $$$". If I had the money and someone had a W German Sig P228 made before the 299 came out (or a nice Hi Power both on my short short must have list) and he was 3 hours away and I wanted it.. ROAD TRIP!!!

Some times just what you want isn't available local.