Gel test: 38 spl 135 gr +P (redux) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gel test: 38 spl 135 gr +P (redux)

Andrew Wiggin
01-22-2013, 13:26
I did a previous test with Speer .38 spl +P 135 gr Gold Dot from my S&W 638 and it had less than stellar results. This load is supposed to be one of the few recommended loads for a short barreled .38 revolver and it did not perform as expected. I thought it might have something to do with the colder temperatures the day we did the testing so I redid the test. I left the revolver and ammo in the refrigerator overnight and kept it in the cooler on the way out, then fired a couple shots with it cold and one with it warm. I also fired a shot from a 4" GP-100. All shots were through four layers of denim and impact velocities are noted.

38 spl 135 gr +P (redux) - YouTube

fnfalman
01-22-2013, 14:33
I was not surprised to see the velocity difference between the 2" and 4" barrel, but I was definitely surprised to see that much velocity increase in the 2" barrel when the ammo is warm.

Andrew Wiggin
01-22-2013, 15:56
Me too. I expected a difference in both cases but both the longer barrel and the warmer ammo showed a greater increase than I expected.

I don't have the ability to cool the revolver down again between each shot but I'd like to see a five shot average at say, thirty degrees.

I plan to test Buffalo Bore 158 gr LSWCHP next.

Berto
01-22-2013, 16:29
I like this load, but IMO they could load another 100 fps without pushing the pressures in .38sp +P and it would be a serious round.
I chrono'd that stuff when it first came out, velocities were inconsistent with big spreads in the 2" gun.
I agree the 4" achieved a big jump.

fnfalman
01-22-2013, 16:32
Me too. I expected a difference in both cases but both the longer barrel and the warmer ammo showed a greater increase than I expected.

I don't have the ability to cool the revolver down again between each shot but I'd like to see a five shot average at say, thirty degrees.

I plan to test Buffalo Bore 158 gr LSWCHP next.

How about bring an ice water bucket with you and dunk the wheelgun after each shot?

jetflier1989
01-22-2013, 17:03
Would the lighter 110 gr. +P loads such as Hornandy's Critical Defense or Corbon possibly fair better?

ithaca_deerslayer
01-22-2013, 18:25
Compare to my load, in your test :) Federal 158gr +P nyclad hollow points.

That lighter SB stuff you are shooting has more recoil and flash than my heavier stuff, out of my 2" 642.

1smoothredneck
01-22-2013, 18:45
Street results are stellar for the Speer .38spl +p135gr. gold dot. But, thank you for the tests. It's interesting indeed for the temp. being so influential. Be safe

Andrew Wiggin
01-22-2013, 21:54
How about bring an ice water bucket with you and dunk the wheelgun after each shot?

That's a great idea. I could keep the rounds in a Ziploc baggie in the ice water, too. Good thinkin' thanks.

fnfalman
01-23-2013, 09:37
Afterward, when you bring the gun home, throw it on the heater or in front of the heater and the insides will dry out in no time.

Tiro Fijo
01-23-2013, 10:54
Afterward, when you bring the gun home, throw it on the heater or in front of the heater and the insides will dry out in no time.

And rust as well.

fnfalman
01-23-2013, 11:06
And rust as well.
How is it going to rust if the water had evaporated in a quick manners? That's why I said put it on or in front of a heater and not just air dry the damn thing.

If he's that worried about it, then he can put the gun in a ziploc bag but then it'll take a while to cool the gun down that way.

Wyoming
01-23-2013, 20:27
I wouldn't worry too much about the cold temperature results. I always notice that my handguns are nice and warm, about 98.6 degrees after being carried for awhile.:whistling:

Not to start a range war but a 2" 38 revolver is marginal for self defense. If you can carry a bigger gun as your tests showed you are better off.

When I carry a 2" revolver it mostly as pocket carry. I do load it with the Speer 135 gr Gold dot +P. Over the years I tend to carry a Kahr P9 with 124 gr +P+ for warm weather concealment. It is really a thin 8 shot revolver that is faster to reload.

fnfalman
01-23-2013, 20:51
I wouldn't worry too much about the cold temperature results. I always notice that my handguns are nice and warm, about 98.6 degrees after being carried for awhile.:whistling:

That's your core temperature. The only way your carry gun can get to that temperature is if it's hidden up where the sun don't shine.:wow:

Wyoming
01-23-2013, 21:02
That's your core temperature. The only way your carry gun can get to that temperature is if it's hidden up where the sun don't shine.:wow:

:rofl:

It is not quite that hot but it is above room temperature.:whistling:

Tiro Fijo
01-24-2013, 00:13
How is it going to rust if the water had evaporated in a quick manners?...

They call is flash rusting.

Andrew Wiggin
01-24-2013, 08:09
I can prevent rust by dipping only the cylinder and barrel and by taking the grips off and leaving the gun on the dash on the ride home.

Carried close to the body, the revolver and ammo should be warm enough to perform quite well. Carried in a jacket pocket or purse, it might not be. I don't want to debate the merits of that type of carry but the fact is a lot of people do it, including my pregnant wife. Hard for a pregnant woman to pull off the Wilderness belt, G23, and Crossbreed holster.

Carried in a Smartcarry type holster, it might get very close to core temperature.