Gen 4 G23 magazine issues [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gen 4 G23 magazine issues

jordan90
01-22-2013, 17:32
About 2 hours ago I picked up my first Glock and it's a gen 4 G23. I went to a local range and loaded one magazine and it wouldn't go into the gun. I smacked it a few times and it eventually locked into place but it took a lot of effort. Then I couldn't chamber a round. Then slide was stuck forward. I took out one round and tried again and it was very rough and took a lot of strength to rack the slide.

Is this common on all glocks or is it just because it's brand new? I've owned an xD45, Sigma SW9VE and now an xDm 9 and they've never given me any issues like this. Any one else have this problem?

JBP55
01-22-2013, 17:41
Not common at all. Did you purchase a new Glock? Have the dealer look at the pistol if it is new. If it is used take it to a Glock Armorer.

jordan90
01-22-2013, 17:44
I just bought it brand new from a small local gunstore. Tried loading it with Win. PDX1 JHP 180grain.

Tiger85
01-22-2013, 18:22
I had the very same issue with a full mag of 13 rounds of 180 grain FMJ in my new G23. Once I used the mags a few times, it went away. It also helped to load and unload each magazine a few times. This loosened them up a bit. That might help; its worth a try.

jordan90
01-22-2013, 18:47
I had the very same issue with a full mag of 13 rounds of 180 grain FMJ in my new G23. Once I used the mags a few times, it went away. It also helped to load and unload each magazine a few times. This loosened them up a bit. That might help; its worth a try.

I did try inserting and dropping a loaded mag about 50 times or so and it did get easier to insert them after a while. The chambering a round process didn't get any easier though. I called the gunstore to see if they had any others I could swap it for and they told me I just needed to get "rougher" with my gun. I'm just hoping it just needs broken in. I'd hate my first glock experience to start off bad.

Tiger85
01-22-2013, 18:56
Sorry for the confusion in my wording. Try loading the magazine full to 13 then unloading it until empty and repeat that process a few times. My issue was with the spring being so tight even with only 12.

Green Mountain Boy
01-22-2013, 19:41
How does the slide rack with no mag? Is it rough?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

cowboy1964
01-22-2013, 20:52
Yeah, break in the mag a bit. I wouldn't expect a drastic change though.

All magazines are doing the same thing? All types of ammo?

Many guns are pretty stiff with a full mag when the slide is in the closed position (my XD .45 Compact was horrendous... needed a sledgehammer to seat the mag). It should be much easier though when the mag is minus one, certainly minus two.

jordan90
01-22-2013, 22:44
How does the slide rack with no mag? Is it rough?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

It's not bad without a mag. Definitely a bit heavy and stiff but the only problem is chambering a round.
Yeah, break in the mag a bit. I wouldn't expect a drastic change though.

All magazines are doing the same thing? All types of ammo?

Many guns are pretty stiff with a full mag when the slide is in the closed position (my XD .45 Compact was horrendous... needed a sledgehammer to seat the mag). It should be much easier though when the mag is minus one, certainly minus two.

That's strange. Both of my xd and xdm pistols have been great.

My first impressions of glock pistols is that they feel a bit cheap and with the small issues so far I'm getting a bit frustrated. Nothing serious and I'm not giving up on it yet but so far it's not growing on me.

Tiro Fijo
01-22-2013, 23:17
Tell me, can you crush a ripe grape between your thumb & forefinger?

:rofl:

jordan90
01-22-2013, 23:19
Tell me, can you crush a ripe grape between your thumb & forefinger?

:rofl:

I haven't tried it lately but I'm sure I can.

GJHIII
01-23-2013, 00:16
Had the same problem. Trigger and safety extended so far forward that I was afraid to shoot the darn thing. Removed two rounds from each magazine and have had no problems. Hope that I will eventually wear in the magazines to the point that thirteen rounds will fit and shoot as it it should.

Bill Lumberg
01-23-2013, 05:01
I've seen people have problems (strength issues) seating a new mag or racking the slide on a new mag that was fully loaded. I've never encountered a fully loaded mag that caused the problems described in the hands of a trained user.

jordan90
01-23-2013, 08:24
Had the same problem. Trigger and safety extended so far forward that I was afraid to shoot the darn thing. Removed two rounds from each magazine and have had no problems. Hope that I will eventually wear in the magazines to the point that thirteen rounds will fit and shoot as it it should.

With 12 in the magazine they chamber a round just fine.

I've seen people have problems (strength issues) seating a new mag or racking the slide on a new mag that was fully loaded. I've never encountered a fully loaded mag that caused the problems described in the hands of a trained user.

I'm willing to bet I have more strength than atleast %70 of the people on this board. I'm a ccw holder and have been shooting handguns for about 3 years, and owned a total of 5 after this purchase. Are you telling me that I need more experience and training and that nobody else would have this problem?

Bill Lumberg
01-23-2013, 09:09
Over a couple of decades of instructing, I've seen plenty of people have this problem starting out, particularly with new magazines. It wasn't a mag problem in any of them, just required a little more effort or dexterity. I'm glad your permit and 3 years of gun experience have made you stronger than 70% of the internet. The force is obviously stong in this one. If you'll send me your mag, I'll send you another and let you know if I experienced any problems loading, inserting, or racking the slide with your mag.

jordan90
01-23-2013, 09:25
Over a couple of decades of instructing, I've seen plenty of people have this problem starting out, particularly with new magazines. It wasn't a mag problem in any of them, just required a little more effort or dexterity. I'm glad your permit and 3 years of gun experience have made you stronger than 70% of the internet. The force is obviously stong in this one. If you'll send me your mag, I'll send you another and let you know if I experienced any problems loading, inserting, or racking the slide with your mag.

My point of that post was that I'm not brand new to firearms. Have been shooting them for maybe 8 actually and owning them for 3. If you must know, my collegiate wrestling career as well as current MMA career and former junior olympic boxing experience has required a lot of strength training. I train forearms and grip strength 2-3x per week.

Aside from me stroking my e-***** and gaining tough-guy points, I'm curious to know if anyone else had encountered this with brand new fully-loaded mags. If it needs broken in, I'll be more patient. If this is a common issue and won't straighten out with use, I"ll gladly move on and let someone else enjoy the G23.

BMiracletx
01-23-2013, 09:51
Take it back to the gun shop you bought it from and have them compare it to another new one. If there is indeed a difference, then return it to Glock or have an armorer check it out.

If magazine insertion and slide racking feel normal WITHOUT the loaded mag, then it is just tight magsprings causing extra pressure. This will loosen in time. If you have these problems with an empty mag, then the gun/mag is defective.

jack76590
01-23-2013, 10:02
I have found it difficult to insert some fully loaded glock mags with the slide closed. Difficult to point had to put the base of mag on table and lean on top of slide. But once mag clicked in I could rack slide, but harder than normal.

But I never had any problem when downloaded mag one round. Therefore, I think you have a problem, if have to download two rounds to obtain a "normal feel".

Do you have another mag to try?

My guess is something in mag not seated right. Good luck.

Ryobi
01-23-2013, 10:54
Normal. Nothing to be concerned about.

Green Mountain Boy
01-23-2013, 11:51
Have the obvious things been done such as a dissasembly, cleaning, and lubrication prior to running the gun?

intenseneal
01-23-2013, 12:20
Yeah this is not normal for a Glock. Every Glock I have ever shot the clip goes in easy and racking the slide should be as well. You should not need to be rough with a Glock. My Kel Tec P22 9mm did have issues with racking the slide and cambering a round when I used hollow points for carry ammo. The gun store I bought it from told me not be baby it so much and to be rougher with it. It would load just fine if you racked the slide hard and let it slam forward with the recoil springs pressure. I never did like that always had me worried I would have an issues cambering a round in a life or death situation.

jordan90
01-23-2013, 13:41
Just put 120rds through it. Would have put 200 through it but the only place I found ammo in my town was the range which was $23 per box! I did fine that it smoothed out towards the end of the range session. Now I'm pretty sure it just needs broken in a little. Definitely not a strength issue or lack of firearm training.

I was pretty impressed with the accuracy right out of the box. The trigger is nice and I shot it pretty well. I won't be getting rid of my xDm anytime soon but I'm considering a gen 4 G21 for my next full-size .45.

DWARREN123
01-23-2013, 15:01
Make sure the slide is locked back then insert loaded magazine. Shoot it and see if they is any problems.
Will be tight putting a fully loaded mag in pistol with slide forward.

GJHIII
01-24-2013, 00:51
I had no problem seating the magazine or racking a round. My concern was with the trigger extending much farther towards the barrel and the safe trigger protruding out with no give in it. Strength was certainly not a factor. Unfortunately, people wince when shaking hands. And by the way, this was my first Glock.

tonyparson
01-24-2013, 01:22
Normal. Nothing to be concerned about.

This������My new Gen 4 G27 is the same way.. It's getting better the more I shoot it.