Just another glove box?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just another glove box??

deathrunner60
01-22-2013, 21:23
I live in the great state of Calif. Question is, once I bolt a secure lock box to any part of the interior part of the passenger area of my car does it become the same as a glove box when it comes to Calif. law? Or is it decided on an officer by officer basis. Living on a fixed income I just don't want to chance having to fight something like this in court. I've read the the law but the wording gets a bit confusing where it comes to this and it seems as if it can be interpreted in different ways. Thanks for any help on this subject.

CA Escapee
01-22-2013, 22:01
I live in the great state of Calif. Question is, once I bolt a secure lock box to any part of the interior part of the passenger area of my car does it become the same as a glove box when it comes to Calif. law? Or is it decided on an officer by officer basis. Living on a fixed income I just don't want to chance having to fight something like this in court. I've read the the law but the wording gets a bit confusing where it comes to this and it seems as if it can be interpreted in different ways. Thanks for any help on this subject.

My guess is the "the utility or glove compartment" is what the vehicle left the factory with. If you are adding a container that is " fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device," you're good to go.

Traveling with Firearms in California

HANDGUNS

California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.
The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel

Bill

Lord
01-23-2013, 15:48
My guess is the "the utility or glove compartment" is what the vehicle left the factory with. If you are adding a container that is " fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device," you're good to go.

Traveling with Firearms in California

HANDGUNS

California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.
The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel

Bill

I would think that since the law specifically states that it doesn't include the utility or glove box, anything else that is NOT the utility or glove box with a lock on it is perfectly fine.

deathrunner60
01-23-2013, 20:27
Thanks for the replies. My concern goes further than the fact that it is just a secure lock box for the handgun my concern is that when that lock box gets bolted and now attached directly to the car does it now become part of the car possibly making it, in other words, another glove box? It may sound like I'm making too much of this but the way I'm reading parts of the law, other than what you have posted, it just seems like it could be considered another glove box.

jfost11
01-23-2013, 20:36
Thanks for the replies. My concern goes further than the fact that it is just a secure lock box for the handgun my concern is that when that lock box gets bolted and now attached directly to the car does it now become part of the car possibly making it, in other words, another glove box? It may sound like I'm making too much of this but the way I'm reading parts of the law, other than what you have posted, it just seems like it could be considered another glove box.

According to what you posted, the trunk is considered a locked container despite being part of the car like the glove box. I think you'll be ok. What I would want to know is if a glove box that is equipped with a key lock is ok or if it's out of the question just because it's listed as not included as locked container.

Caver 60
01-23-2013, 23:50
I think I'd want a competent legal opinion, rather than internet advice. I know nothing about California but:

I can see your concern, since if it becomes 'just another glove box', you could be in trouble. Sounds to me like they don't want a handgun in the passenger compartment of a vehicle.

But what do I know???

CA Escapee
01-24-2013, 03:07
For most of the years I lived in CA I owned SUV's or trucks, I only owned one car while living in CA. When I carried a firearm it was unloaded and in a locked container all the way in the back of my vehicle. Once I got the car it was unloaded and locked in my trunk.

I think if a person in CA were to keep their handgun unloaded, locked in a container and unreachable while driving you'd be following the letter of the law. This doesn't mean that a cop and a DA wouldn't take you for a ride through the legal system though.
Bill

deathrunner60
01-29-2013, 13:50
Thanks. Your answers did address my concerns. Considering my financial position I believe I will just stay on the safe side of this issue and keep the gun in the trunk in a locked box to avoid that possible "ride through the legal system."