carry ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : carry ?

Alliance50
01-23-2013, 09:20
It seems almost more then anything when it comes to a carry weapon other then shot placement and such most seem to be concerned about capacity.
So I have a simple question What would you rather have on your side for carry 14 rds of 45 acp or 14 rds of 40 S&W.

Now I'm not looking for what ever you shoot best or what I like I already carry what I carry for 30 + yrs I'm just asking.

Bill Lumberg
01-23-2013, 10:02
Could care less. Either will get the job done. I generally carry a glock 23C or a full size 1911. 14+15 .40 versus 8+8 .45. Either is fine.

warriorking
01-23-2013, 11:02
:wavey: Same here, I have a glock 23 which at present is a 40, I can easily change barrels to handle 357 or 9mm...All will get the job done.....

RyanNREMTP
01-23-2013, 12:21
Whatever you shoot best with.

Sent from my Federation issued communicator.

RussP
01-23-2013, 12:44
Whatever you shoot best with.Agree...

Alliance50
01-23-2013, 12:47
In the start of my thread I asked to not bring the (what ever you shoot best into it) but thanks for replying.

redbaron007
01-23-2013, 12:59
It seems almost more then anything when it comes to a carry weapon other then shot placement and such most seem to be concerned about capacity.
So I have a simple question What would you rather have on your side for carry 14 rds of 45 acp or 14 rds of 40 S&W.

Now I'm not looking for what ever you shoot best or what I like I already carry what I carry for 30 + yrs I'm just asking.

To answer your direct question above, I would take the 40 S/W. Smaller frame and easier to conceal carry. This is just my humble $.02.

However, I wouldn't carry either. I agree with the subsequent comment by Ryan and RussP. Whatever you shoot the best should be what you are carrying. :tongueout:

:wavey:

red

RussP
01-23-2013, 13:00
In the start of my thread I asked to not bring the (what ever you shoot best into it) but thanks for replying.If you want a caliber discussion, the effectiveness of one caliber versus another, Caliber Corner would be the appropriate forum.

Are you asking if the preference would be a 1911 or a G36 with a reload versus a .40 with a 14 round mag?

Or is it a G21 versus a G22?

happyguy
01-23-2013, 13:03

None of the above.

Give me 15 rds of 9mm and I'm good.

Between the two offered I would go with the 40 because I can get it in a Glock and a 40 1911 might be problematic.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy :)

Alliance50
01-23-2013, 13:23
If you want a caliber discussion, the effectiveness of one caliber versus another, Caliber Corner would be the appropriate forum.

Are you asking if the preference would be a 1911 or a G36 with a reload versus a .40 with a 14 round mag?

Or is it a G21 versus a G22?

I'm not asking about any particular gun nor am I asking for a cal discussion or war.

Simply asking in regard to ammo capacity if in two different guns they both held 13+1 which one would YOU rather have if one in 40 and the other in 45.

As I stated before I have been carrying and shooting what I like for 30+ yrs it's not about what I shoot best lets say you them the same.
Just stop some confusion I carry a sig P220 8+1 or a g21 13+1 or my fav would be a 1911 Pro Springfield 8+1.:tongueout::wavey:

IndyGunFreak
01-23-2013, 13:39
Could care less. Either will get the job done. I generally carry a glock 23C or a full size 1911. 14+15 .40 versus 8+8 .45. Either is fine.

What they said.

IndyGunFreak
01-23-2013, 13:40
I'm not asking about any particular gun nor am I asking for a cal discussion or war.

Simply asking in regard to ammo capacity if in two different guns they both held 13+1 which one would YOU rather have if one in 40 and the other in 45.

OK.. How is this not a caliber "discussion"?

IGF

Alliance50
01-23-2013, 14:39
OK.. How is this not a caliber "discussion"?

IGF

OK I'll try to explain. Lets use a stated heard frequently.

I carry this g23 because I can carry 13+1 rds onboard.

Well if you have two guns in different calibers that carry 13+1 on board like say the g21 then going by the above statement
Why did you pick the 23. I hope that makes sense to you. In other words it's not the cal that made this guys decision it's the capacity.

Otherwise :dunno:

janice6
01-23-2013, 14:48
All thing being equal: Assuming I can shoot each caliber and pistol for that caliber, very well, and the carry is similar, I go for the largest caliber. big holes are better than smaller ones.

I know their is not much difference in diameter between the two, but this is how I would make my choice within these constraints.

That said: I actually carry the highest energy round I can shoot well, a .357 Magnum in four inch barrel..

IndyGunFreak
01-23-2013, 15:01
I hope that makes sense to you. In other words it's not the cal that made this guys decision it's the capacity.

Otherwise :dunno:

No it doesn't make sense. In your first post you stated:

If that's not a caliber discussion, I don't know what is.

Alliance50
01-23-2013, 15:45
No it doesn't make sense. In your first post you stated:

If that's not a caliber discussion, I don't know what is.

OK great you win have it your way it's all about cal.:wavey:

OK now if it's about caliber for you you a glock 21 13+1 rds and a Glock 23 13+1 rds which one do you choose to carry and why? You shoot them equal and the size and weight really is not to much different. I have carried both of these for many many yrs and they both conceal well. Pick one

BTW how do you like being a correction officer? I did that for about 10 yrs and then went county to sheriff and became use of force instructor and ppct trainer and then field training officer.

dosei
01-23-2013, 16:35
OK great you win have it your way it's all about cal.:wavey:

OK now if it's about caliber for you you a glock 21 13+1 rds and a Glock 23 13+1 rds which one do you choose to carry and why? You shoot them equal and the size and weight really is not to much different. I have carried both of these for many many yrs and they both conceal well. Pick one

BTW how do you like being a correction officer? I did that for about 10 yrs and then went county to sheriff and became use of force instructor and ppct trainer and then field training officer.

You're asking a nonsence question. They can't be the same size and weight yet carry the same number of rounds when the calibers are so different. The grip on the 45 would have to be fatter or longer to carry the same number of rounds as the 40. You're asking a question that has no answer because the described situation is IMPOSSIBLE. You keep on asking questions that are impossible nonsence.

I carry a 45. I don't like the 40 at all. Too high a pressure round, too hard on the gun. I've shot several 40's and none of them were as easy to shoot as the same handgun platform in 9 or 45. I've found that 9 is very easy to shoot, followed by 45 and then 40. If capacity was a major issue for me, I'd carry a 9.

BADOS
01-23-2013, 16:45
Easy answer! The Glock 27 with my 15 round magazine and 15 round backup. I remember my Boy Scout days..."BE PREPARED!!"

Alliance50
01-23-2013, 17:07
You're asking a nonsence question. They can't be the same size and weight yet carry the same number of rounds when the calibers are so different. The grip on the 45 would have to be fatter or longer to carry the same number of rounds as the 40. You're asking a question that has no answer because the described situation is IMPOSSIBLE. You keep on asking questions that are impossible nonsence.

I carry a 45. I don't like the 40 at all. Too high a pressure round, too hard on the gun. I've shot several 40's and none of them were as easy to shoot as the same handgun platform in 9 or 45. I've found that 9 is very easy to shoot, followed by 45 and then 40. If capacity was a major issue for me, I'd carry a 9.

First of all I did not say they were the same size I said they were close and the weight difference is only about 6 oz's when loaded I know guns, I trained people how to use them for 35 yrs so try and make me look stupid, maybe you should read what I say not what you read into it.
There is no reason to make a simple thread difficult.
If the thread is to hard to understand don't get into it.

Alliance50
01-23-2013, 17:10
Why the hell is it that glock talk is the only forum I belong to that some need to find things wrong or add to threads rather then just seeing thing as they are.

Tell me I don't make sense I wasn't hired to train people in the use of fire arms because I didn't make sense or know what I was doing!

RyanNREMTP
01-23-2013, 17:26
That is the problem with the question. All things aside it will all vary from person to person. I shoot mainly 40 cal because that is what I shoot for PD. It's easier to keep all my pistols with 40 cal then have various pistols shooting various calibers. I used to have a G19 but traded it in for a G27. Just so I can keep it down to one caliber. I do have a spare barrel in 357 Sig for my G22 but I hardly shoot it because of my PD. Granted I like the 357 Sig caliber better than anything I have shot. I've shot 45 before and it doesn't do anything for me. 9mm was okay, shot decent but got tired of it. So that's why I stay with 40. Now if my PD changes to something else then I'll change as well.

Some people change guns and calibers as often as they change underwear. At least I hope they do.

rilkil23
01-23-2013, 17:30
9mm no doubt. Round ball of course.

Bill Lumberg
01-24-2013, 07:21
You obviously didn't get hired to "train peoeple in the use of firearms" because of your posting prowess.......... Why the hell is it that glock talk is the only forum I belong to that some need to find things wrong or add to threads rather then just seeing thing as they are.

Tell me I don't make sense I wasn't hired to train people in the use of fire arms because I didn't make sense or know what I was doing!

Alliance50
01-24-2013, 08:39
You obviously didn't get hired to "train peoeple in the use of firearms" because of your posting prowess..........

I'm sorry you feel that way.

The only thing I can say is I had a great time teaching on the basis of common sense and thru my years I have found less and less of that. To me that is a scary thing.

Thanks for your opinion bill.:wavey:

Bill Lumberg
01-24-2013, 08:41
Referring solely to this thread, of course, not in general. All the best. :wavey:

RussP
01-24-2013, 10:48

Simply asking in regard to ammo capacity if in two different guns they both held 13+1 which one would YOU rather have if one in 40 and the other in 45.It isn't about caliber, yet the question is, "If you have two firearms, pistols, both capable of a 13+1 capacity, which caliber would you choose, .40 or .45?"OK I'll try to explain. Lets use a stated heard frequently.

I carry this g23 because I can carry 13+1 rds onboard.

Well if you have two guns in different calibers that carry 13+1 on board like say the g21 then going by the above statement
Why did you pick the 23.Is the right answer, "I like a smaller pistol with a 13+1 capacity. The G36 doesn't have the capacity. Neither does the G30. So, that eliminates the .45 caliber pistols. Should Glock make a G23 size in .45, that would be of interest."As I stated before I have been carrying and shooting what I like for 30+ yrs it's not about what I shoot best lets say you them the same.
Just stop some confusion I carry a sig P220 8+1 or a g21 13+1 or my fav would be a 1911 Pro Springfield 8+1.:tongueout::wavey:So .45 is your caliber choice. :cool:

Alliance50
01-24-2013, 10:50
It isn't about caliber, yet the question is, "If you have two firearms, pistols, both capable of a 13+1 capacity, which caliber would you choose, .40 or .45?"Is the right answer, "I like a smaller pistol with a 13+1 capacity. The G36 doesn't have the capacity. Neither does the G30. So, that eliminates the .45 caliber pistols. Should Glock make a G23 size in .45, that would be of interest."So .45 is your caliber choice. :cool:

I enjoy all calibers but my preference for carry and home defense is 45 ACP.

Bruce M
01-24-2013, 11:49
Based on the question I would probably lean toward the .40 for two reasons. The grip might be a bit smaller which may help with smaller hands and .40 being a bit less expensive might make a budget go a bit further for training/practice. At the risk of avoiding a caliber war I doubt there would be statistical difference between the two in actual uses.

Since my parameters are a bit different, its a USP .45 for me during the week for the last decade or so.

josey88
01-26-2013, 18:40
I don`t like .40S&W at alll ... it is too snappy and difficult to shoot .
My carry calibers are .45 ACP and 9mm
I like .45 cal because of the stopping power and on my GlocK 30SF I can carry 10+1 which is great .
My HK45C which I also carry is only 8+1 but nine .45cal rds are very respectable although 10+1 are even more respectable , quantity speaking . Quantity is good. Quantity on a .45 cal is difficult because of the rd size and contrary to the 9mm mags , adding more rds is a big compromise in size , weight , etc .
Given the effect of the .45cal in actual stopping power , I am contented with 8+1 rds and even more contented with 10+1 .45cal rds .
9mm ... the more I can carry the better , if possible . Why ? Why not ? If I can carry 18+1 9mm on my Beretta M9 why I should carry only 15 ? both mags use the same space so to me that is a no brainer . I have 15 rd mags and 18rd flush magazines ... I always use the 18 rds to carry ... it gives me a tremendous advance in firepower. I was always a firm believer in more firepower the better.

happyguy
01-26-2013, 20:37
I have wanted to use this smilie for the longest time. -----> :weirdthread:

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy :)

rick458
01-27-2013, 03:59
14 rounds of 45 acp, I like the recoil characteristics of 45 better than 40, I shoot them better.