Glock must have amazing production capacity [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock must have amazing production capacity

ditto1958
01-23-2013, 13:22
When I go to my LGS's, I have noticed that Glocks are about the only guns that the stores seem to be getting a fairly steady supply of. No 9mm's I'm afraid, but lots of others especially .40 cals and .45's.

Considering the demand these days for high capacity semi-auto guns, this is pretty impressive, especially considering the number of different models Glocks offers and also the fact that many of them are produce in both Gen3 and Gen4 models.

Glock must have very prodigious production capacity and an amazing distribution system.

Scrappy
01-23-2013, 13:25
MY LGS has good supply of everything but Walthers! They are wiped out of every Walther model.
As as Glocks they are out of Gen 4 G23s but have gen 3 and gen 4s of other Glocks.

DannyR
01-23-2013, 13:26
USA and Austria have been working 3 shifts a day, 5 days a week, producing new Glocks. Smyrna is in the process of doubling the production facility.

ditto1958
01-23-2013, 13:47
MY LGS has good supply of everything but Walthers! They are wiped out of every Walther model.
As as Glocks they are out of Gen 4 G23s but have gen 3 and gen 4s of other Glocks.

As of the end of 2012, Smith & Wesson stopped distributing Walthers. I imagine it may take a little bit for the new system to get up to speed.

DannyR
01-23-2013, 13:57
I work at Gander in Roanoke. As of last night we had:

1 Gen3 G24
1 Gen3 G35
1 Gen4 G35
1 Gen3 G22
1 Gen3 G36
1 Gen3 G29

Hopefully, more arrived on our truck today.

WayneJessie
01-23-2013, 13:59
When I go to my LGS's, I have noticed that Glocks are about the only guns that the stores seem to be getting a fairly steady supply of. No 9mm's I'm afraid, but lots of others especially .40 cals and .45's.

Considering the demand these days for high capacity semi-auto guns, this is pretty impressive, especially considering the number of different models Glocks offers and also the fact that many of them are produce in both Gen3 and Gen4 models.

Glock must have very prodigious production capacity and an amazing distribution system.

They own enough of the market to keep distributors inventory well stocked.

cowboy1964
01-23-2013, 14:02
They have 70-80% of the LE market or something. That's a lot of pistols right there.

4095fanatic
01-23-2013, 14:51
In 1999 they made pistol number 2 million, I believe in 2009 they announced production had passed 4 million.

According to ATF numbers, in 2010 GLOCK manufactured In the US approx 31k pistols. The US imported over 515k pistols from Austria (how many were GLOCKs is not listed).

http://www.shootingindustry.com/u-s-firearms-industry-today-2012/

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Green Mountain Boy
01-23-2013, 15:12
but let me tell you something to be making that many products and have this few issues is impressive to say the least.

Regards, GMB

Pier23
01-23-2013, 17:07
As of the end of 2012, Smith & Wesson stopped distributing Walthers. I imagine it may take a little bit for the new system to get up to speed.

Not to hijack, but since I have 2 Walthers...I missed this. What is happening with Walthers?

JBP55
01-23-2013, 17:41
Not to hijack, but since I have 2 Walthers...I missed this. What is happening with Walthers?

Walther is building a plant in Arkansas and will no longer be marketed by S&W.

Pier23
01-23-2013, 20:19

Thx. My SmithWalther has the most appalling Smith logo on it..it will be good to get the Walther back to its roots.

Tiro Fijo
01-23-2013, 21:55

Total BS.

Walther has a new IMPORT office in Ft. Smith, AR. They manufacture all their polymer center fire handguns in Ulm, Germany.

JBP55
01-24-2013, 04:29
Total BS.

Walther has a new IMPORT office in Ft. Smith, AR. They manufacture all their polymer center fire handguns in Ulm, Germany.

Are you sure?

Walther Arms, Inc. today announced its U.S. operations will locate at Chaffee Crossing.

Walther Arms will share a campus and business resources with Umarex USA who today announced it will expand its manufacturing operations to include components of both airguns and firearms. Combined, the companies plan to invest more than $7 million toward expanding the facility and operations over the next five years. The expanding facility will serve as corporate headquarters for both Walther and Umarex in North America. With the expansion, management hopes to create from 70 to 120 new jobs over the next five years.

"Jobs, opportunity, Fort Smith, Arkansas." said Adam Blalock, chief executive officer of Walther Arms and Umarex USA. "We are absolutely fired up to see Fort Smith become the home for the iconic Walther brand and company. My personal hope and objective is to see more manufacturing and jobs return to the USA in the coming years and what better place than Fort Smith!"

Umarex USA first leased space in Fort Smith in 2006. Plans to build a new facility at Chaffee Crossing were announced in 2008 while the airgun company entered the firearms market for the first time when it began to import the Colt M4 chambered in .22 caliber. All Fort Smith operations were located in the Chaffee facility by July 2010. Since moving into the Chaffee facility, Umarex USA's sales volume has doubled. In July of this year, Carl Walther GmbH announced the formation of Walther Arms, Inc. and the appointment of Adam Blalock as chief executive officer. While the decision on Walther's location in the United States had not been determined at the time of the announcement, the Fort Smith Regional Chamber, Chaffee Redevelopment Authority, the Arkansas Economic Development Commission, and Governor Mike Beebe's office worked to secure Walther's business for Arkansas.

"Fort Smith's excellent workforce helped convince Umarex and Walther to increase production here, and their overall Arkansas experience led to make our state their North American Headquarters," Governor Mike Beebe said. "Success stories like this will help to influence other companies deciding where to invest for success."

Through the expansion, the German-based business, PW Group, owners of both Walther Arms and Umarex USA will relocate certain products currently manufactured abroad for manufacture in Fort Smith under the Walther Arms Company.

"Umarex and Walther Arms is one of Fort Smith's great success stories," said Tim Allen, Fort Smith Chamber of Commerce chief operating officer. "Just a few years ago, we were all celebrating Umarex's groundbreaking at Chaffee Crossing, and now today the company has chosen Fort Smith as its corporate headquarters for North America."

"Umarex's decision to increase its manufacturing operation in Fort Smith is a testament to the talented workforce in this region and we are honored to have such a great corporate citizen like Umarex and Walther Arms in our community," said Mayor Sandy Sanders.

"Umarex USA has been a fantastic corporate citizen at Chaffee Crossing," said Ivy Owen, chief executive officer of Chaffee Crossing. "Their decision to expand with Walther Arms exemplifies their faith in Chaffee, Fort Smith and the region."

Entering its 126th year, Walther has earned the trust of law enforcement professionals, recreational shooters, and athletes through its line of reliable PPQ, PPS and PPK pistols. Walther Arms manufactures and markets firearms of calibers ranging from .22 to .40.

Umarex has been an expert in airguns for almost 40 years. The company manufactures and markets airguns, paintball products, airsoft guns and blank-firing pistols. Umarex USA's shooting sports products are marketed under world-known firearm brand names at sporting goods retailers throughout North America.
Comments

TTex
01-24-2013, 07:43
I would imagine Glock's production capacity is pretty amazing, but at this time so is the demand.

Tiro Fijo
01-24-2013, 11:52
Are you sure?...

Positive. They have merely severed the majority of their contract (not all) with S&W and will now self-import their polymer line. Umarex bought a failing Walther in 1993.

Despite the success of their wonderful PPQ, Walther, in the grand scheme of things, sells relatively few handguns in the USA. That would have to change dramatically before they decided to manufacture here. Especially in the turbulent political enviornment of the past month which can only get worse in the next four years.

tbob38
01-24-2013, 11:55

Last year when I was looking for a Walther PPS, I could only find one lgs in the area with any Walthers, and no PPQ's at that.

Slug71
01-24-2013, 12:12
Damn. You're lucky, shelves around my area are bare.

splitfinger09
01-24-2013, 12:30
Damn. You're lucky, shelves around my area are bare.

Same here. even the way overpriced glocks at bass pro are gone.