Educate Me On Gen 4s [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Educate Me On Gen 4s

Tophatter
01-23-2013, 15:33
I currently carry a P30, and while it's a fine pistol, mag/parts availability is starting to annoy me more than a little bit, so I'm giving some thought to transitioning to a Glock 17. However, I have tiny little girl hands, and the only Glocks that I can get a proper grip on are Gen 4s.

Glocks are well-known for their simplicity of design, and I'm curious if anything about that has changed with the Gen 4s. Are they still guns you can detail strip with a ballpoint pen and all that other famous stuff? Not surprisingly, none of my local shops are willing to let me tear down Gen 2s side by side with Gen 4s and poke around.

F106 Fan
01-23-2013, 15:46
Have you done any research on the current rash of Glock ejection problems? Late model Gen 3s and new Gen 4s are included. You can't go a single week on this forum without another BTF (Brass To Forhead) thread.

Do a little research before you decide on one brand or another.

Richard

DocWills
01-23-2013, 16:46
oh please. Glock has the finest yet in gen 4. Unless you shhot weak ammo or have a beginners technique. The Glock design runs with about 33 parts, only the frame and a few of the internals are different. Stripping is still by removal of three pins. Detail dissassembly is easy too.

:supergrin::supergrin::supergrin::supergrin::supergrin:

F106 Fan
01-23-2013, 17:07
oh please. Glock has the finest yet in gen 4. Unless you shhot weak ammo or have a beginners technique.

There are a lot of people who agree with you! There are a lot of people who don't!

It's a crap shoot whether any given gun will function properly. Sometimes you win, sometimes, well, maybe it goes back and forth to Smyrna.

It's worth considering the current state of affairs before settling on a brand. If the issues seem minor, go for it!

But do some research!

Richard

1RoundEye
01-23-2013, 17:12
This video give a good breakdown of the changes that go into the Gen4 pistols after the GLOCK ID stuff at about 5:53.

Shot Show 2013 | Glock Announcements - YouTube

Scrappy
01-23-2013, 17:29
Didnt they change the ejector housing and trigger bars too? The ejector housing has a new slot molded at a 5 degree steeper angle? I think its the same on the gen 3 SF models too.

Tophatter
01-23-2013, 17:31
Have you done any research on the current rash of Glock ejection problems? Late model Gen 3s and new Gen 4s are included. You can't go a single week on this forum without another BTF (Brass To Forhead) thread.

Do a little research before you decide on one brand or another.

Richard
Quite a bit, yeah. I'm also aware that the Gen 4s aren't well-regarded by a lot of the top trainers, but, c'est la vie. Gen 3s and Gen 2s are just too big for my freakishly short fingers, so it's a Gen 4 or something else.

FnKev
01-23-2013, 18:19
They're awesome! You should get one :)

Substance-P
01-23-2013, 18:19
Quite a bit, yeah. I'm also aware that the Gen 4s aren't well-regarded by a lot of the top trainers, but, c'est la vie. Gen 3s and Gen 2s are just too big for my freakishly short fingers, so it's a Gen 4 or something else.

Any benefit to a Gen 3 SF? It will be just as small as a Gen 4 with no inserts. If wanting the smallest option out of the box is what you are looking for, I think the SF is something to consider.

Tophatter
01-23-2013, 19:12
Any benefit to a Gen 3 SF? It will be just as small as a Gen 4 with no inserts. If wanting the smallest option out of the box is what you are looking for, I think the SF is something to consider.
See, this is where my ignorance of Glocks comes into the equation: I thought the SF models were limited to .45 ACP?

Scrappy
01-23-2013, 19:36
See, this is where my ignorance of Glocks comes into the equation: I thought the SF models were limited to .45 ACP?

10mm and 45 ACP models

bigcix
01-23-2013, 19:48
I'm just hoping glock comes out with a gen 4 36

Tophatter
01-23-2013, 20:00
10mm and 45 ACP models
Eh. Yeah, I'd prefer to stick with 9mm.

Sounds like I need to take my chances with a Gen 4 17.

They've got to get it right eventually...right?

High Altitude
01-23-2013, 20:33
Personally, I think the Gen4 models are the best Glocks yet.

Grip size/texture and the magazine release does it for me.

DannyR
01-23-2013, 20:52
I think the Gen4's are the best Glocks to date. My four have been flawless.

Tophatter
01-24-2013, 04:27
And that's why I'd even be chancing it, the fact that it seems like there's a chance - arguably even a good chance - to pick up a good Gen 4.

I just want to make sure the reason I'm buying a Glock - ease of maintenance, simplicity of design, widespread availability of parts and accessories - continues to exist in the Gen 4.

Bill Lumberg
01-24-2013, 06:42
For duty use, it's hard to find one that's not rock solid. On the internet, it's very difficult to find a report of one that functions at all. I currently carry a P30, and while it's a fine pistol, mag/parts availability is starting to annoy me more than a little bit, so I'm giving some thought to transitioning to a Glock 17. However, I have tiny little girl hands, and the only Glocks that I can get a proper grip on are Gen 4s.

Glocks are well-known for their simplicity of design, and I'm curious if anything about that has changed with the Gen 4s. Are they still guns you can detail strip with a ballpoint pen and all that other famous stuff? Not surprisingly, none of my local shops are willing to let me tear down Gen 2s side by side with Gen 4s and poke around.

TTex
01-24-2013, 06:53
And that's why I'd even be chancing it, the fact that it seems like there's a chance - arguably even a good chance - to pick up a good Gen 4.

I just want to make sure the reason I'm buying a Glock - ease of maintenance, simplicity of design, widespread availability of parts and accessories - continues to exist in the Gen 4.

Yes! The Gen 4's are just as easy to maintain, just as simply designed, and parts availability is still there (with possibly a few minor exceptions for redesigned pieces). They didnt try to reinvent the wheel when they designed the Gen 4 they just tweaked a few things.
I like the Gen 4's! My next purchase (when I can find one) will be a Gen 4 G21.

BMiracletx
01-24-2013, 09:24
Personally I have all Gen3 9mms, but love the Gen 4 on my 21, 22, 23, 31, 32, 33!

I am still hesitant to get a Gen 4 9mm even thought they have supposedly fixed them with the new recoil spring.

TacticalTshirtsREP
01-24-2013, 21:16
Is the GEN 4 trouble free? 100%? No.

Is any gun? No.

Are there fixes for GEN 4's that have these issues? Yes.

I own 4 GEN 4 Glocks. I don't have any problems.

But do they exist? Yes.

For me, the GEN 4 brought me back to Glock after getting out of them in the late 90s. GEN 4 is all I consider. I holding out for a GEN 4 20 and 26 in FDE.

TTR

jay1975
01-24-2013, 21:32
I love the Gen 4. I never cared for Glock's before because of the funky grip, but my G17 Gen 4 is dead on at 35 meters.

gatorboy
01-24-2013, 23:11
Eh. Yeah, I'd prefer to stick with 9mm.

Sounds like I need to take my chances with a Gen 4 17.

They've got to get it right eventually...right?

No hotpapper, something tells me you need a Taurus! Let me: Taurusarmed.net CYA!

gatorboy
01-24-2013, 23:13
www.taurusarmed.net

There ya go handsome

F106 Fan
01-25-2013, 07:09

Given your hand size, perhaps a single stack pistol would be a better choice. Even the SF frames are fairly large.

Yes, a double stack magazine holds more ammo and some folks think that anything less than 17 rounds is worthless. Well, in California, we're limited to 10 rounds so there is no point in limiting the consideration to double stack guns.

This is a terrible time to be looking for a new gun. The stores are almost empty. It's not like there is going to be a variety to choose from. But that's a separate issue...

Look around your neighborhood and see if there are any ranges that rent guns. Try a few. If you're thinking about Glock for their Perfection, that is ancient history. They're no better than anything else and probably worse than others. Nothing special, just a polymer framed gun and there are a lot of those around.

Make a list of characteristics that you consider important and then go find something that fills the bill. Things like grip size, barrel length, weight, concealability, caliber, night sights (could be after market), magazine capacity, holster availability, etc.

It might be hard to get but you might consider the Sig P229 Elite. It comes in 9mm or .40 S&W and some agencies are buying it because the new ergonomics work better for officers with smaller hands. It has serious grip and front strap texture so it's easy to hold on to. I don't have one (yet) but I did grab one in the store a few months ago and I like the grip. It's a vast improvement over the standard P229

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p229-elite-stainless.aspx

It isn't a polymer gun so it will be heavier. Is weight really a consideration?

Richard

F106 Fan
01-25-2013, 07:33
Having said all that about the Sig P229 Elite, parts availability seems more limited for Sigs. There's nothing like Glock for being a kit gun where users can diddle around with aftermarket parts. I started down that path with my G21SF and went back to pure factory. I was never going to achieve a 1911 style trigger on a striker fired gun so what was the point? I decided to shoot it the way it comes and be happy.

If aftermarket 'improvements' are a consideration, there's nothing like a Glock. Even factory parts are readily available.

I know you want a 9mm and I certainly understand why but you just might want to consider the G21SF. Yes, it's .45 ACP but the recoil isn't all that bad. Yes, it's more than a 9mm but it's also more of a push than a snap. A lot of agencies are moving to .45 ACP from .40 S&W and it isn't because of bullet diameter. It's about controllability.

Oh, and if you can, test a Springfield Armory XD9. I have one of those and it's a pretty nice gun. I added the Talon sandpaper grips and the gun is just fun to shoot!

And the Sig P239 in 9mm is another nice gun!

Richard

joeboxer22
01-25-2013, 08:06
I had a p30 and I think the g19 gen4 would be a closer match since it has similar barrel length and same number of rounds. Why the g17?

MarcDW
01-25-2013, 08:21
I just bought myself a G31 Gen4.
While I have still my old G31 3gen, the Gen4 quickly became my favored.
So far I fired any .357SIG ammo through it I could come up with. In total somewhere around 600 rounds.
NO PROBLEMS what ever so far.
I like the new surface, but I could care less about the rest of the changes.
I wish they left the magazine release as it was.
As other people mentioned, there are no surprises in the inside, actually even the magazine release is installed like the old one.
So if you can find one, get your G17 Gen4.

I found it strange, that the Gen4 magazines have the same front cut out as the G21 in their last configuration.
That was made for the ambidextrous mag release. My guess is that Glock is thinking about picking this up some time again?!

Tophatter
01-25-2013, 09:21
Given your hand size, perhaps a single stack pistol would be a better choice. Even the SF frames are fairly large.
In terms of pure comfort, no doubt. Though my P30's certainly not a problem to actually shoot. Nothing beats a 1911 with a short trigger for pure comfort, though.

Look around your neighborhood and see if there are any ranges that rent guns. Try a few. If you're thinking about Glock for their Perfection, that is ancient history. They're no better than anything else and probably worse than others. Nothing special, just a polymer framed gun and there are a lot of those around.
I've shot about 500 rounds through both a Gen 3 and a Gen 4, which is how I know the Gen 3 just won't work for me and a Gen 4 is perfectly fine. In fact, I shot the Gen 4 17 almost as well as I shoot my P30, and that's with around 2000 rounds through the P30.

I'm mostly thinking Glock for parts availability and, yeah, the durability of earlier Gen 3 guns.

Thanks for the extensive responses, by the way.

Tophatter
01-25-2013, 09:22
I had a p30 and I think the g19 gen4 would be a closer match since it has similar barrel length and same number of rounds. Why the g17?
It conceals just as well with the way I carry.