How do you do a grip reduction? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How do you do a grip reduction?

encore4me
01-23-2013, 17:06
I would like to reduce the grip on my G 30 SF.

Jeff Hughes
01-23-2013, 18:02
Send it to Cold Bore...

SouthpawG26
01-23-2013, 19:15
There is a saying that if you have to ask.........don't..

Atlas
01-23-2013, 20:02
I had great success with the heat method to flatten the backstrap hump.
Others here have done this also.
My hands are tiny, like little-girl tiny.
My G19 fits me now like it was custom-made.
No cutting or grinding at all.

***Notice: I am not responsible if you damage your pistol.
Many others have done this with no problems.
I'm the only one (to my awareness) to use the frozen mag to help ensure that I didn't deform the overall shape of the grip and magwell.

The surface finish of my Glock in the backstrap area was slightly damaged...
It's only the surface finish, and only in a very small area, so I could not care less.
When I get time I'll use sandpaper to smooth it down and then I'll stipple it with a hot soldering iron or pointy Dremel tool.
The surface deformation is so slight you have to look at it closely to even see the damage. Others who've done this report success with no damage at all.

To me it was totally worth it to get the improved grip.
I'll never, never sell it, so I don't care if it reduced the value.
It actually increased the value to me, and in this case my opinion is the only one that matters.

My procedure:
In an abundance of caution I cut strips of sponge, soaked them in water, stuffed them into a mag, and froze it overnight.
Then I inserted the mag before beginning the following procedure.

1) Check that the pistol is unloaded first!!!
2) Strip the slide from the gun.
3) Light a medium-size candle and place on a table, kitchen counter, or workbench.
4) Hold the pistol pointing upward.
5) Hold it well above the candle flame.
6) Begin to lower it toward the flame.
7) Experiment to find the height at which the flame just begins to heat the backstrap of the gun.
8) Move the gun to and fro just a little to distribute the heat across the entire hump area. Let the plastic be heated just enough to be warm-hot to the touch.

9) Hold it there for a minute or so to allow time for the plastic to be heated through and through.
10) Holding it firmly, press the hump down against the table surface, rolling it from side to side. Press very firmly to the point that the plastic begins to deform and the hump begins to flatten.
11) Most probably it will cool to the point that you will have to repeat steps 5 through 10, two or three times.

The key here is to be patient, and keep slowly lowering the gun toward the flame a little at a time to find the height at which the plastic just begins to be heated, just a little.
Then lower it a bit more to get the temperature hot enough to soften the plastic just a little, then try pressing it against the table surface, then repeating it until you get the degree of reduction you're looking for.

4Rules
01-23-2013, 23:05
If you dare:

RaspyGA, Glock 32 Stipple, Pt. 01 - YouTube

RaspyGA, Glock 32 Stipple Pt. 02 - YouTube

RaspyGA, Glock 32 Stipple Pt. 03 - YouTube

swh_longhorn
01-24-2013, 06:11
Send it to Cold Bore...

This.

ron59
01-24-2013, 12:22
Get a grinder or file and start grinding?

Yes, if you have to ask, you're probably in trouble. Grinding is easy. Keeping the correct shape and size and consistent finish is the tough part. Almost like sculpting to an extent.

I'm fairly handy, I do all my work to my Glocks... and I'd consider a grip reduction if they were legal in competitions (I usually shoot production type stuff and that's a no no).... but I would NOT think of trying that myself. Stippling, maybe. Grip reduction, no.

Batesmotel
01-24-2013, 12:37
My daughters G31 went to Robar. My wife's G19 is going to go to Robar or another well rated place.

My G17 I did myself. Filled the grip hole with epoxy. Used a rasp , file and sandpaper to reduce and shape. Sprayed with truck bed liner. Ugly but fits much better. My G17 is a total beater. well over 100,000 rounds and just won't die. I don't care about looks on that one.