Cleaning solutions and oil [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning solutions and oil

PKersey2
01-23-2013, 18:11
What's the best no nonsense cleaning solvents and oil for Glocks?

Slackinoff
01-23-2013, 18:12
Frog lube cause its nontoxic and it works.

kodiakpb
01-23-2013, 18:15
I use Ballistol because I can pick it up locally, it's cheap and gets the job done.

barth
01-23-2013, 18:19
I started out using Militec-1.
Then switched to Ballistol.
Ballistol is non-toxic.
And is fine with plastic, wood, rubber, leather...
It does have a pungent smell that some find offensive.
But the non toxic is something I really like.
And it seems to work well.

njl
01-23-2013, 18:44
Mobil-1 is probably the best bang for your buck as far as cost and effectiveness as an oil.

What do you need cleaning solutions for on a Glock?

But seriously, any gun cleaner (and lots of other things) will work. Any CLP, Hoppes #9, brake cleaner, simple green, whatever you prefer will likely work.

rolltide_pisco
01-23-2013, 20:05
Another one for Ballistol. Hickok45 turned me to it

GRT45
01-23-2013, 20:07
Another vote for Ballistol to clean and lubricate my Glock.

JaPes
01-23-2013, 20:24
Another Ballistol user here.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

CourtCop
01-23-2013, 20:46
I started using MPro7 for cleaning a few years ago and am very satisfied. It will clean anything that needs cleaning on a gun, is non-toxic and odorless. You have to let it soak in the barrel for 15-20 minutes and it will remove carbon, copper and lead.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

SJ 40
01-23-2013, 21:51
I started out using Militec-1.
Then switched to Ballistol.
Ballistol is non-toxic.
And is fine with plastic, wood, rubber, leather...
It does have a pungent smell that some find offensive.
But the non toxic is something I really like.
And it seems to work well.What Barth said. SJ 40

fifthward
01-23-2013, 21:56

Yeah...he got me too. Just ordered a can from Brownells. Having previously owned Sigsand HKs...my regimen would include a combination of oil and grease - usually CLP, with either Enos slide glide light - or recently TW-25b grease.

Now, knowing what I know about glocks...I'll run Ballistol per the Glock owner's manual - and try to turn my barrel into a trusty, comfy, good ol' black iron skillet!!! ;)

vinstang67
01-23-2013, 22:29
I started using MPro7 for cleaning a few years ago and am very satisfied. It will clean anything that needs cleaning on a gun, is non-toxic and odorless. You have to let it soak in the barrel for 15-20 minutes and it will remove carbon, copper and lead.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

I use MPro7, too. Cleaner and oil.

M 7
01-23-2013, 22:38
I just go with Hoppe's #9 and BreakFree LP- it's readily available, works well, and is inexpensive.

SCSU74
01-24-2013, 00:04
What's the best no nonsense cleaning solvents and oil for Glocks?

Don't really need a solvent for glock's. I use Hilco gun wipes to clean everything and slip ewl for what little lube I use

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

bigcix
01-24-2013, 00:21
Remington's Rem Oil

Taphius
01-24-2013, 03:02
Isopropyl alcohol and rem oil for me

Bill Lumberg
01-24-2013, 07:52
Yes, solvent is necessary to clean the gun. Tap water and other home remedies remove loose particulate, but do not leave the gun, particularly the bore, anywhere near clean.

The most commonly used, and one-liquid-does-all is Breakfree-CLP. And it's fine. That said, Breakfree-CLP is best for "wet" guns, like M4's and 1911's. Coating a glock with CLP only to remove it all, then add 5 drops, is kind of like spraying your entire vehicle with armor-all, then wiping it all off except for the tires. Using a good solvent, followed by 5 drops of any gun oil, is more efficent. More modern solvents, such as Boretech eliminator, clean carbon and bore fouling much faster than old tried and true CLP and/or Hoppes #9. The nylon brush that came with the gun is more than sufficient (it does need to be a brush, bore snakes are for dusting, not cleaning). No metallic brush is necessary. Note that a clean bore is completely shiny, almost entirely mirrorlike or chromelike, with no steaks of gray or graphite look extending from the chamber. It's not necessary to actually have a clean bore for reliable function, I only mention because many own a glock for years and think the bore is clean, when really, poor cleaning technique or failure to use a proper solvent has allowed progressive fouling of the bore. Everything else is pretty simple, just don't introduce lube into the striker channel. What's the best no nonsense cleaning solvents and oil for Glocks?

burttrans
01-24-2013, 09:04

Where are you guys finding this Ballistol? I have looked at 4 or 5 places and nobody carrys it? Any suggestions please? I may also look online.

Shiloh228
01-24-2013, 09:08
Where are you guys finding this Ballistol? I have looked at 4 or 5 places and nobody carrys it? Any suggestions please? I may also look online.
Amazon carries Ballistol (and others)

burttrans
01-24-2013, 09:10
Like I said above been looking for Ballistol but been using product called Boeshield T-9. A bike shop sold me this for bike chain but it has many uses and for guns it does a great job. After cleaning with this product the gun will cycle much smoother. This product was developed by Boeing Co and dries on gun to give a thin film of lubrication.

Cybercowboy
01-24-2013, 09:15

I ordered mine from Amazon. I got an aerosol spray can and a larger non-aerosol can with a trigger spray. I'm still using the aerosol can and it's plenty full. I leave the little tube attached to the spray nozzle so I can direct the Ballistol just where I want (like inside the barrel.)

I use Ballistol and Hoppes #9 to clean the gun. Watch the video of Hickok45 using Ballistol. That's how I do it except that I'll also take a clean patch and put a little Hoppes #9 on it and wipe down the dirty parts in the frame to remove any carbon. After that dries I lube the slide mounts with a little Nano Oil (any good oil will work like Mobil 1), just at tiny bit on each, and then the two places in the back of the frame where the trigger bar rubs on metal. A little bit of grease would work there too I think.

I use Slide Lube Lite on pistols like a Sig P938 or Ruger P89 that like to run "wet". I apply it pretty liberally to the slides and also the outside of the barrel and barrel lug.

Interestingly, when I field stripped my father's brand new from the factory Glock 22 the other day, it was loaded up on the slide and the other two lubrication points with some sort of purple grease. Apparently Glock thinks grease is OK. I removed it and used my normal method, but kind of wonder if they know something I don't?

burttrans
01-24-2013, 09:39
I thought Hickok45 just used Ballistol and no oil. I watched a video he made and he cleaned and lubed with Ballistol and nothing else? I have not heard of anyone else using this Boeshield T-9 I use but like the spray can says it really does feel like there is a invisible shield of lubricaiton on gun also on back of can one of the many uses is for guns.

GRT45
01-24-2013, 09:44
Interestingly, when I field stripped my father's brand new from the factory Glock 22 the other day, it was loaded up on the slide and the other two lubrication points with some sort of purple grease. Apparently Glock thinks grease is OK. I removed it and used my normal method, but kind of wonder if they know something I don't?

Not to worry, but for future reference, Glock, Inc. recommends that the high-temperature, factory applied lubricant for new pistols be allowed to remain until it naturally wears away to assure long-term lubrication of the areas where it's applied. Glock describes it as "The copper-colored substance on the cam area of the interior of the slide" in the Glock Armorer's Manual ©2009, Page 79. Purple colored goo is something I haven't heard about before.

There is more about this factory applied anti-seize compound in Patrick Sweeney's book, "The Gun Digest® Book Of The Glock". See Page 32, middle column available online (http://books.google.com/books?id=UMNumhIb7bIC&pg=PA32&lpg=PA32&dq=sweeney+copper+glock+burnished&source=bl&ots=GF1n2Cup_1&sig=q4T-IGHCTHHcn26LLE1F3A7oRuo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=LSUAUfuZIYebrQHpj4GwCg&ved=0CDsQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=sweeney%20copper%20glock%20burnished&f=false).

BMiracletx
01-24-2013, 10:15
For me Hoppes #9 for bore, wipe down everything else, add a little Hoppes Elite oil... good to go.