G19 recoil spring slippage with dry fire [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G19 recoil spring slippage with dry fire

PhotoFeller
01-23-2013, 18:56
My G19 Gen 3 has performed well (0 malfunctions) during 500 or so rounds. I've noticed, however, that after dry firing less than 10 times without a mag in place, the recoil spring end slips out of the half moon seat cut into the barrel lug. The spring end moves just slightly higher on the barrel lug. I haven't fired the gun recently, so I don't know if function is affected.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this spring movement. If yes, what causes it, what effect does it have on function (if any) and what is needed to fix it (if anything)?

Thanks.

Scott30
01-23-2013, 19:00
Completely normal. The RSA sits in the lower half moon for assembly purposes and then moves up when the slide is racked.

Goodrich
01-23-2013, 19:07
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1407399&highlight=Guiderod

PhotoFeller
01-23-2013, 21:41
My sincere thanks for the quick response and the good news. I knew GT experts would know the answer.

I haven't seen this topic discussed before, and I'm surprised lots of folks haven't raised the question. Anyway, thanks.

DannyR
01-23-2013, 21:49
The question is asked several times a month. Consider the half-moon cutout the reassembly position only.

BenjiEDF
01-23-2013, 21:56
This has been happening on my gen 4 27... it's annoying because when I take it down I'm getting some wear on the frame. So far no malfunctions when shooting or anything though.

AustinTx
01-23-2013, 22:01
I haven't seen this topic discussed before, and I'm surprised lots of folks haven't raised the question. Anyway, thanks.

I'm surprised that folks can't find it. I think, search still works.

rimshaker
01-24-2013, 00:06
And to make field stripping easier just in case the RSA is loose inside, just remove the slide with the gun turned upside down.

PhotoFeller
01-24-2013, 04:59
I'm surprised that folks can't find it. I think, search still works.

I'm sure it works great if you put in the right search words. I didn't have any luck, so after 4 or 5 tries I took the lazy way out.

Thanks for the folks who helped with my question. Sorry to the Search Sheriff for giving up on the system.

This little design quirk (RSA movement) seems like a potential reliability issue if the RSA slips off of the barrel lug completely. I take it that happens sometimes.

Copis
01-24-2013, 10:29
This little design quirk (RSA movement) seems like a potential reliability issue if the RSA slips off of the barrel lug completely. I take it that happens sometimes.

It's not a design quirk

rimshaker
01-24-2013, 10:52
It's not a design quirk

Exactly. The sole purpose of the RSA locking into the barrel lug is so the barrel doesn't fall out during reassembly with the frame.

After assembly, if the RSA happens to slip totally out of the barrel lug, that's 100% fine. Its sole purpose during shooting is to rest up against the half-circle plastic piece that sits between the slide lock and slide lock spring.

PhotoFeller
01-24-2013, 14:24
Exactly. The sole purpose of the RSA locking into the barrel lug is so the barrel doesn't fall out during reassembly with the frame.

After assembly, if the RSA happens to slip totally out of the barrel lug, that's 100% fine. Its sole purpose during shooting is to rest up against the half-circle plastic piece that sits between the slide lock and slide lock spring.

Thanks. Forgive my ignorance about Glock design mechanics and help me understand your post.

I thought the RSA's primary purpose is to return the slide to battery after firing. I understood the spring also serves to absorb recoil. Thus, I reasoned, the RSA would have to be remain in contact with the barrel lug.

Does the RSA function as I described above when it is "...rest[ing] up against the half-circle plastic piece that sits between the slide lock and slide lock spring."? What is the half-circle plastic piece called? Is it a separate piece identified on the Glock parts drawing?

Dave.1
01-24-2013, 14:50
PhotoFeller, don't know if you've watched this animation but it will show how the RSA sits against the Slide lock. Just click thru the steps.
http://www.genitron.com/Basics/Interactive-Glock-Pistol

Hope that helps.

Dave

PhotoFeller
01-24-2013, 16:22
PhotoFeller, don't know if you've watched this animation but it will show how the RSA sits against the Slide lock. Just click thur the steps.
http://www.genitron.com/Basics/Interactive-Glock-Pistol

Hope that helps.

Dave

Dave- Seeing the animation makes a huge difference in understanding Glock mechanics. Many thanks for the tip.

Dave.1
01-24-2013, 16:55
Glad to help.

Dave

SCmasterblaster
01-24-2013, 18:24
I have been dry-firing my G17 for decades. I have never had such a problem.

PhotoFeller
01-24-2013, 19:40
I have been dry-firing my G17 for decades. I have never had such a problem.

SC- Are you saying the RSA is always engaged with the barrel lug when you take the slide off?

My RSA has never come completely off of the lug in battery, but it does migrate upward out of the half moon to a different resting place on the lug.

I had never noticed this happening before, but I probably wasn't paying attention.