Grip screws. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Grip screws.

okie
01-24-2013, 08:55
Does anyone know why so many 1911 company's went to a hex head grip screw? I prefer the slotted grip screw:thumbsup::supergrin:

uhlawpup
01-24-2013, 10:04
I'm with you on that, Okie. I have no idea why they did it, unless they're starting a line of proprietary hex drivers.

faawrenchbndr
01-24-2013, 10:13
Okie,.....I don't think the current generation knows how to use a common screwdriver.

Cream Soda Kid
01-24-2013, 10:43
Okie,.....I don't think the current generation knows how to use a common screwdriver.
I think you're right about that!

I heard that most companies did it for cosmetic reasons. I don't understand that one.

I don't like the hex head screws.

Black&TAN
01-24-2013, 11:25
I don't think many people know how to use a screwdriver, period. Guessing that a number of folks have tendency to use a flat head with poor fit to screw slot, and end up buggering up the screw.

It's interesting though, some hex screws being easier to over-torque than slotted, that Hogue felt it needed to create an "EXTREME" version that was less likely to snap off.

sent via Tapatalk

ca survivor
01-24-2013, 16:00
funny, I change all my grips screws to hex head screws.

Jason D
01-24-2013, 16:53
I too prefer standard screws.
The only gun I have that has the other type, is my Kimber Gold Match. I just never got around to changing it over.

zhix
01-24-2013, 17:24
I like Novak's practical grip screws, can use a flathead or hex

fnfalman
01-25-2013, 04:07
Any pistol of mine, 1911 and whatnot, that come with hex head or torx head screws, all get the screws replaced with the slotted head. I'm not going to hunt around for a freakin' special screwdriver to take the damn grip panels off.

Toyman
01-25-2013, 05:18
Does anyone know why so many 1911 company's went to a hex head grip screw? I prefer the slotted grip screw:thumbsup::supergrin:

Because slotted screws suck?

okie
01-25-2013, 07:01
Any pistol of mine, 1911 and whatnot, that come with hex head or torx head screws, all get the screws replaced with the slotted head. I'm not going to hunt around for a freakin' special screwdriver to take the damn grip panels off.

This:thumbsup:

okie
01-25-2013, 07:02

I don't think they do:supergrin:

faawrenchbndr
01-25-2013, 07:08

Round peg, square hole,..........it never works! :faint:

Jason D
01-25-2013, 16:43
I really like C&S grips screws. The last set of stainless screws I bought were so nice looking, it was almost a shame to put them on a gun.

COLDSTEEL165
01-25-2013, 17:00
I also change to the slotted screws as they are easier to remove should they get their heads stripped.

AK74play
01-27-2013, 13:38
I think it has more to do with cosmetics. The hex heads are not as prone to getting buggered up from using the wrong screwdriver or screwdriver slipping out and turning up the edges. I like the slotted but all mine run hex heads because I like them better as far as looks go and don't have to worry about buggering them up. Most people I have seen seem to tighted 1911 grip screws way to tight leading to things like backing out the bushings when you remove the grips. I don't have to search for a wrench because I use Wilson stainless hex heads in all of mine and just leave the allen wrench that comes with them in my 1911 service kit. Never did see a reason for the use of a screwdriver servicing any 1911, but then I never backed out a grip screw bushing either.

NicholsT55
01-27-2013, 14:07
Just a guess, but the change was probably so they could sell everyone new grip screws.

janice6
01-27-2013, 14:16
I think it has more to do with cosmetics. The hex heads are not as prone to getting buggered up from using the wrong screwdriver or screwdriver slipping out and turning up the edges. I like the slotted but all mine run hex heads because I like them better as far as looks go and don't have to worry about buggering them up. Most people I have seen seem to tighted 1911 grip screws way to tight leading to things like backing out the bushings when you remove the grips. I don't have to search for a wrench because I use Wilson stainless hex heads in all of mine and just leave the allen wrench that comes with them in my 1911 service kit. Never did see a reason for the use of a screwdriver servicing any 1911, but then I never backed out a grip screw bushing either.

This is true.

Also people in general, do not seem to know that gun screwdrivers in particular, are hollow ground, to minimize "buggering" the screw slot and to get a better "purchase" on the screw. This minimizes the "Camming out" that ruins the screw head.

S&W and other large gun companies sell "gun" screwdrivers that are hollow ground (top quality screwdrivers are too, but people do not like to pay the price).

fnfalman
01-28-2013, 10:26
Me, on the other hand, don't care if I were to bugger up a $.50 slotted head screw with the flat tip screwdriver that comes in my handy dandy Swiss Army knife.