Resale value of a Glock w grip modification [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Resale value of a Glock w grip modification

maestrogustav
01-24-2013, 14:26
Let's say from one of the best pros in the business-- a hump reduction and texturing will have what sort of impact on the resale value of a current Glock?

Please let us know if you've had experience with this. thanks.

BMiracletx
01-24-2013, 14:58
I have no personal experience with GLocks, but I do know that for most guns custom modifications don't usually add much to anything on resale... and sometimes can lower your resale.

Perhaps on this if you sold it to another forum member who is seeking a grip reduction then you might be okay. Personally... I wouldn't buy a gun with a modified frame or grip... others might.

jakebrake
01-24-2013, 15:05
normal circumstances, i'd say it's the kiss of death.

these days, put it on gunbroker as an assault glock...and retire.

seriously, photos would probably help to determine how much you'll lose off "normal" pricing.

CincyBrad
01-24-2013, 15:25
Most grip mods, even from a pro, make the weapon look like crap. It will hurt the resale value significantly. When people buy used, they want a stock gun. Changing sights is ok, it's not a permanent alteration, chopping the grip is.

matteblack
01-24-2013, 15:29
Let's say from one of the best pros in the business-- a hump reduction and texturing will have what sort of impact on the resale value of a current Glock?

My experience has been different than other posters. If its done well by someone known it does not change value as long as the buyer wants and appreciates the mods. Thats been my experience. However, the challenge is that once you do a grip mod you have made the appeal of your gun narrow and finding that special buyer could take a long time.
MB
:cool:

iflyem1
01-24-2013, 15:32
Most grip mods, even from a pro, make the weapon look like crap. It will hurt the resale value significantly. When people buy used, they want a stock gun. Changing sights is ok, it's not a permanent alteration, chopping the grip is.

I agree. Once you make a modification you limit yourself when you sell the gun. I wouldn't make grip modifications if your thinking of selling the gun in the future.

I personally don't like the grip modifications, even when done "Professionally".

Mattkcc
01-24-2013, 15:33
I watch the auction sites a lot,semi retired, and have noticed modified Glocks don't do very well. I'm very wary of buying a gun that's been modified, got burned many years ago but the mods were reversible. I've been wanting to get a 21 but will probably get a M&P 45 due to the finger groves not fitting my hand. The finger groves on my 17 and 26 are fine. However, if I get the 21 and modify it it could cost me money down the road. Remember when you start personalize a gun you are doing it to your taste, this will limit the number of potential buyers down the road, also remember what's a cool mod today my not be cool in the future.

jakebrake
01-24-2013, 15:57
I watch the auction sites a lot,semi retired, and have Remember when you start personalize a gun you are doing it to your taste, this will limit the number of potential buyers down the road, also remember what's a cool mod today my not be cool in the future.

excellent post!

and what one person loves, another can't stand.

maestrogustav
01-24-2013, 15:59
Well, that's what I expected--

I have three modified by Lane, and two recently acquired with hump still attached. Slow fire is no problem with either setup-- but when I speed up, the humped guns are all over the place. For me obviously.

The 19 is the only model of which I have two; maybe I'll get my 23 modded and keep the spare 19 stock, and hedge my bets.

But I must say, after decades of P7s and 1911s, the hump really messes me up. I know you can practice your way through anything, but going back and forth can be exasperating.

trlcavscout
01-24-2013, 16:08
I wouldn't consider buying a bubbad up gun of any kind. I don't care who did the work if it not stock most wouldn't buy it. Some people like it but most of those guns go for sub standard pricing.

smokey45
01-24-2013, 16:36
Glocks have resale value? Who'd thunk it?
s45

SCmasterblaster
01-24-2013, 16:39
s45

They do nowadays. The dealers can't keep them in stock. :upeyes:

cfrye11
01-24-2013, 16:49
Almost every mod makes the value go down in my mind. If you mess with the cosmetics I worry about what you have done to the internals.

Colby

molan labe

Bruce M
01-24-2013, 17:06
If it was a model I was looking for I could see easily paying $50-100 more for a used Glock done by this place http://www.coldborecustom.com/ compared to what I would pay for a used Glock in similar condition but not reduced. If the reduction was done by anyone else I would be extremely reluctant to even consider purchasing it, if I did the gun would have to be priced substantially less. (No offense to anyone else who does good work, I am just not familiar with your reputation.)

My guess is that if one was trying to sell a popular gun that had a grip reduction by one of the best, that they probably would get a bit more than an unmodified gun but that it might take many months of being patient. An unpopular model, or a pistol done by an unknown person, my guess is that one would end up getting 25-50% less than a stock version.

South Fla
01-24-2013, 17:08
I always thought that when a modification to a gun that was done where material is removed, I would believe that the gun has been structurally compromised and therefore, weakened.

I would never buy one that was done by either a professional or a home brewed one.

I don't think that I have ever seen one that was modified that was for sale in a LGS.

SCmasterblaster
01-24-2013, 17:15
I always thought that when a modification to a gun that was done where material is removed, I would believe that the gun has been structurally compromised and therefore, weakened.

I would never buy one that was done by either a professional or a home brewed one.

I don't think that I have ever seen one that was modified that was for sale in a LGS.

I am indeed careful to watch out for altered Glocks. Factory new for me when I get a G22.

ignantmike
01-24-2013, 17:39

if its the gun you want....and the mod's will help you shoot better.......why not?.....just dont sell the gun

DWARREN123
01-24-2013, 19:10
For me a permanent mod would kill the deal.

James Dean
01-24-2013, 19:46
If your thinking about selling it I would definitely do it now. I'm not a fan of any modified Glock, but now if any you will stand a chance of selling it.

up1911fan
01-24-2013, 21:48
If done and documented by Lane, Bowie or Boresite i'd pay a premium.

ron59
01-24-2013, 22:37
If I ever thought about doing that to a gun..... I'd make sure it wasn't one I'd want to be selling so I wouldn't have to be asking this question.

tonyparson
01-25-2013, 06:11
s45

Try to buy a new or used Glock now days and you will find out yourself how much of a resale value Glocks have.

Smoker
01-25-2013, 06:52
Now would be a good time to sell, other wise you'd prolly take a hit on it. I speak from experience..

maestrogustav
01-25-2013, 12:43
Yes we're talking about Coldbore here. . . .

The real decision is whether I will ever want to sell it. Can't imagine it now, but I've been wrong before.

Lone Wolf8634
01-25-2013, 16:23
There's always someone who'll buy anything. It may just take longer to find them.

Personally, If I see an ad for a Glock model I'm interested in, and the words "grip reduction" or "stippling" show up I immediately move on. I have no interest in buying a "modified" (to me modified = ruined. MHO) weapon.

smokey45
01-25-2013, 19:23
Well done grip mods are ok with me. I had a mdl 21 and a mdl 19 done, that I traded off a few years ago. I certainly took no hit on those. Just traded for another 19 that has been reduced and stippled. Don't know who did it but it looks to be well done. As long as the grip is not structurally compromised, and the work is not shoddy, I'm good to go. Glocks are not a thing of beauty, so most any mod makes it look better.
s45

Glock19Cowner
01-25-2013, 20:05
Resale value of one can vary significantly, completely depends on the person who is looking. I have had a few offers on this one but finally fits just right so I guess that ill just have to keep it and feed it regularly. :D

Lee-online
01-25-2013, 21:27
I would not buy a Glock that has been cut up, stippled or dura coated. The only exception would be if it was dirt cheap.

D4RWlN
01-26-2013, 00:19
I would have no issues buying a glock with permanent mods. It all depends on if the buyer can appreciate the benefit of the work and of course the quality of the work. I would however never buy a modded pistol over the internet. I would want to inspect it in person.

Tazz10m
01-26-2013, 02:36
There are always less people out there that want custom rather than stock and even less that want "custom used", but, if the job is done right and the salesman is good, more can be gotten than even a gun that's new. I've got a guy who is begging me to sell him my custom G29 and pay me well for it. Good guns hold or increase their value better than gold.

BroncoAZ
01-26-2013, 11:23
I routinely remove the finger grooves on any G19/23 that I own, and I expect to take a hit on resale if I ever sold them. I always laugh at the for sale ads where the poster claims grip reduction by Robar or another famous name, then ask for retail plus what they paid for the reduction. I wouldn't generally pay any more for a modified Glock, unless it was a G19 that happened to be reduced to fit my wife's hands perfectly.

Tazz10m
01-26-2013, 11:38
Retail plus the cost of extras might be totally fair if what the gun has is what the buyer is looking for. Remember, good guns hold or increase in value better than gold. And if the gun already has a Robar job (or whatever) that the customer wants, then the customer doesn't have to send the gun off and get the job done. That is savings... time as well as money. And if the anti-gun commies have their way, or civil unrest breaks out, that same gun could double or triple in value, or even more, over night.

DannyB
01-26-2013, 11:46
I bought a great looking, great feeling, textured G35 once. I sure don't think I stole it because of this depreciation people speak of. I really wish I never sold it either. And when I did sell it I got a premium for it.

NDCent
01-26-2013, 12:00
Depends, I've seen some reductions and texturing done by members here that looked outstanding and I'd be proud to own. I've seen some done by professionals, like Robar or whatever, that I'd be ashamed to carry. Just depends on your and the prospective buyers taste.

maestrogustav
01-26-2013, 19:48
OP UPDATE: I sent both pistols to Lane.

I shoot so much better with the grip mod. Since I want them to be shooters, I'm not going to worry about whether I lose a few bucks long down the road.

Two previous projects and one future project:

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii123/geohans/IMG_0079.jpg