Glock 30s VS Glock 30sf... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 30s VS Glock 30sf...

MSims
01-24-2013, 16:27
Well I carry a Glock G30sf and wanted to sell it so i can get a G30s...

Well i noticed that the frame is identical to the G30s and the slide is alittle slimmer but what is the advantage? 3 ounces lighter?

But then again you cant use a G19/G23 holster cause well the frame is to wide... So the G30sf slide is the same width as the frame so whats the difference?

G30sf equals less muzzle rise and kick versus the G30s...

So how carrying the 2 makes a difference even if the G30s is slimmer? You still have the width of the frame... but 3 ounces lighter... Can you really feel the difference in just weight? cause carrying it will still be the same width...

What do you guys think?

Scrappy
01-24-2013, 16:53
Right you save weight. I can use my G30 holster for the 19 and 23. Its not as tight when the 19is in there but it works.
So as a G30 owner I wont be getting a G30S for 3 ounces!

GRT45
01-24-2013, 16:57
I won't try to talk you into getting a G30S or tell you to keep your G30SF, but here is some information to help in the decision.

Another factor about the G30S I learned from Mas Ayoob. Barrels for the G30 and G30SF, which includes third-party barrels, are not interchangeable with the G30S barrel. I was stunned by that news. Reference: g30s and g30sf, are the barrel interchangeable? (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1465347)

The G30S weighs 3.55 oz less than the G30SF Gen3. When comparing the two with a fully loaded mag in both, it works out to about a 10.5% reduction in loaded weight (30.16 oz vs 33.71 oz).

I've already made my evaluation and the G30S is out of the question to replace my G30SF due to my requirements for caliber conversions. I have two G30 Gen4 pistols on order.

UPDATE: My review after field testing and carrying the G30S for two weeks are posted here > The New Glock 30S - Pros and Cons (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20109903&postcount=11)

mrsurfboard
01-24-2013, 16:57
When you carry your gun all day, 3 ozs makes a lot of difference.

MSims
01-24-2013, 17:18
[QUOTE=GRT45;19906536]I won't try to talk you into getting a G30S or tell you to keep your G30SF, but here is some information to help in the decision.

Another factor about the G30S I learned from Mas Ayoob. Barrels for the G30 and G30SF, which includes third-party barrels, are not interchangeable with the G30S barrel. I was stunned by that news. Reference: g30s and g30sf, are the barrel interchangeable? (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1465347)

Ok im confused... Why isnt the G30s dont accept the G30/G30sf barrels or lonewolf barrels? Should it be the same size?

MSims
01-24-2013, 17:21

you really think 3 ozs makes a difference of the feel carrying all day?

xp220
01-24-2013, 17:54
There are several threads in GlockTalk about 30S. It is a Glock 30 frame with a Glock 36 slide. Many people also tried their own hybrid 30/36 or 36/30 for frame/slide combination. Some are happy and some have problem. My own hybrid did not work reliability. Maybe 30s has some special tune.

SCmasterblaster
01-24-2013, 18:05

I don't see how 3 ounces can make a big difference. I carry a 31-ounce (loaded) G17 on my right hip 24/7. If it weighed 34 ounces I doubt that I would notice it. :cool:

MSims
01-24-2013, 19:27
I don't see how 3 ounces can make a big difference. I carry a 31-ounce (loaded) G17 on my right hip 24/7. If it weighed 34 ounces I doubt that I would notice it. :cool:

Exactly my point...

lyodbraun
01-24-2013, 19:38
yeah that little 3oz weight savings is nothing, I have no problems carrying my 30SF, its my EDC and I dont feel the weight at all... I know I wont be looking for a 30S, Id rather get a new G4 30 just for the new grip texture...

MSims
01-24-2013, 19:44
You cant even use an aftermarket barrel from lonewolf or stormlake or even glocks G30 barrels...

So how is the G30s better than The G30sf... After all these points... Same width when carrying and the thinner slide doesnt mean nothing cause of the width of the frame... More muzzle flip... No aftermarket barrels...

sharp
01-24-2013, 20:58
You cant even use an aftermarket barrel from lonewolf or stormlake or even glocks G30 barrels...

So how is the G30s better than The G30sf... After all these points... Same width when carrying and the thinner slide doesnt mean nothing cause of the width of the frame... More muzzle flip... No aftermarket barrels...

G30s should have same barrel as G36 though, right?

GRT45
01-24-2013, 22:28
G30s should have same barrel as G36 though, right?

That is correct. Lone Wolf offers G36 45ACP barrels in standard length, extended 2 port, or threaded that would fit the G30S, but no caliber conversion barrels are offered for the G36 from Lone Wolf, StormLake, or KKM. StormLake and KKM don't offer any G36 barrels (judging only by website pick lists).

silversport
01-25-2013, 05:59
no one said that a G30 is too heavy but 3oz. DOES make a difference when carrying all day...does it make enough of a difference for you to pick one over another???...that is a choice YOU have to make...

This is the first I had read about the barrels being different (I suspect the outside diameter may be thinner as it is a purpose built .45ACP and not a slide engineered for 10mm downsized for .45ACP if it is...)

I would have to hold the two side by side and even shoot them together (which I don't see happening for me) to make the best choice for me but I suspect I won't go wrong with either...people have been carrying conversions for years...

Bill

8ptbuk
01-25-2013, 06:54
Somebody posted that a 36 barrel wouldn't take some brands of night sights (front) do to clearance problems . Wonder if G30s would be the same ???

G26S239
01-25-2013, 07:12

KKM makes 36 barrels.

ronin.45
01-25-2013, 07:27

Agreed. Weight is a major concern for a concealed carry gun. The slimmer profile would also be a little nicer to conceal. As for being able to use holsters from other guns, I buy holsters built for my carry guns. I also don't buy a gun based on what I can turn it into. If I want a different caliber I'll buy a different gun.

MSims
01-25-2013, 07:58
Agreed. Weight is a major concern for a concealed carry gun. The slimmer profile would also be a little nicer to conceal. As for being able to use holsters from other guns, I buy holsters built for my carry guns. I also don't buy a gun based on what I can turn it into. If I want a different caliber I'll buy a different gun.

Point is Ronin that millions of people have the G30sf and that carry why would they go with the G30s... Cause the only reason its 3 ounces lighter... I bet nobody can tell the difference... It still conceals the same width... They should of at least Slimmed a bit of the frame too and well they had enough room to slim it down to accept the double stack... They obviously went the lazy route... All in all i see no point and i wanted the G30s cause it was slimmer... no its not slimmer cause in reality you are carrying the same frame width on your waist... So the slide is what 7 mm thinner... And glock said its the ultimate conceal package... Yes if the slimmed down the FRAME too =)

D4RWlN
01-25-2013, 10:11
Point is Ronin that millions of people have the G30sf and that carry why would they go with the G30s... Cause the only reason its 3 ounces lighter... I bet nobody can tell the difference... It still conceals the same width... They should of at least Slimmed a bit of the frame too and well they had enough room to slim it down to accept the double stack... They obviously went the lazy route... All in all i see no point and i wanted the G30s cause it was slimmer... no its not slimmer cause in reality you are carrying the same frame width on your waist... So the slide is what 7 mm thinner... And glock said its the ultimate conceal package... Yes if the slimmed down the FRAME too =)

I highly doubt that. I bet many will notice it if using a holster that was molded for the 30s. If you carry a pistol IWB all day, everyday, everywhere its legal to, you will always notice a reduction in weight or thickness IWB. Even more so if you are active with your CCW(working, excercising, etc.) Its like going from a double stack 9 to a single stack. When you look at the difference in thickness on paper it looks minor but once you switch it feels huge. Since they only thinned the slide I'm sure it won't be as drastic but you are still losing some thickness. I'm sure many with holsters made for it will notice a difference. Also 3.55 is close to a 1/4 pound. Whether someone thinks the switch is worth it to them is a personal thing but I do think it will be a noticeable difference if you carry a lot IWB.

If someone didn't have a g30 in some favor or want to use conversions I think it makes sense to get the 30s.

So they basically thinned the slide down to a g36. Now you think they should thin the frame? They did. It's called a G36! If you want them to thin it but maintain a double stack mag and not weaken the grip of the pistol too much they would probably have to switch to thinner metal mags.

MattyIce
01-30-2013, 12:30
I think the market for the Glock 30S is pretty easy to understand. If you already have a Glock 30, do not purchase a 30S. If you do not already have a Glock 30, then the 30S is a great option in .45 ACP carry pistols.

JMike
04-18-2013, 21:14
Admittedly, I read through this old thread quite fast but the one thing I didn't see anyone discuss is the fact that the 30S barrel sits nearly 1/2 of an inch lower than the 30SF.

That should result in much lower perceived felt recoil.

Did I miss something?

Opie 1 Kenopie
04-18-2013, 22:14
Admittedly, I read through this old thread quite fast but the one thing I didn't see anyone discuss is the fact that the 30S barrel sits nearly 1/2 of an inch lower than the 30SF.

That should result in much lower perceived felt recoil.

Did I miss something?

I thinks it's a wash since the 30S slide is lighter and would therefore be subject to greater recoil. We're splitting hairs here. I don't think getting a30S is going to help those of us who already own a 30. The slight change in slide thickness just isn't worth it. Those guys looking for their first .45 might find it interesting. I've never held or shot a30S but I'm hearing a lot of reports that there is more perceived recoil than the older .45s.

JMike
04-18-2013, 22:42
I thinks it's a wash since the 30S slide is lighter and would therefore be subject to greater recoil. We're splitting hairs here. I don't think getting a30S is going to help those of us who already own a 30. The slight change in slide thickness just isn't worth it. Those guys looking for their first .45 might find it interesting. I've never held or shot a30S but I'm hearing a lot of reports that there is more perceived recoil than the older .45s.

Hmm, interesting. It would be great if there is someone that has had a chance to A-B the two and offer their thoughts or perceptions.

Personally, I am waiting for my LGS to get a 30s in stock but if I could get some first hand opinions from a group of people, I may just opt for the 30sf instead.

the creech
04-19-2013, 05:21
i have the theis holster IWB for my sweet GLOCK 30sf .. very nice holster also! i walk 6 or more mile a day, by the third day of wearing it you really can't tell you have it on.. and also i have no problem sitting with it on, i have no printing of the gun at all.. i buy a size larger than what i wear, i get the hanes BEEFY TEES i buy the XL then i wash them in cold water then put them in the dryer on hi heat, they come out perfect!!! i work out every day so it helps of not having a belly lol was wearing an owb with this gun it worked well also, but really enjoy wearing the theis holster made by tommy!! and you can't go wrong getting the glock 30sf got it jan.2013 its test fire date was 1/12/2013 have the glock 23 also a little to snappy but still enjoy plinking with it.. but the 30sf is way better : )

GRT45
04-19-2013, 08:28
Hmm, interesting. It would be great if there is someone that has had a chance to A-B the two and offer their thoughts or perceptions.

Mas Ayoob has fired hundreds of rounds through the G30S and he is a long-time owner and expert shooter with the G30/30SF. He answers the question comparing the recoil of the G30S versus G30/30SF in this thread over at the GATE Self-Defense Forum > Glock 30S (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1464970)

P.S. How sure can we be of the barrel height for the G30S listed on the website? I find it hard to believe that the barrel height of the G30S is 20mm yet the listed barrel height of the G36 is 32mm. Bear in mind that the website has wrong information. The website lists the unloaded weight of the G30SF and G30S both at 575 grams (20.28 oz.) which is an obvious error that was corrected in the 2013 Glock Annual.

SNIDER
04-19-2013, 12:32
The 30S with it's thinner slide requires barrel diameter to be smaller...
on youtube Hickock45 does a great comparison on the S & SF models, the barrels will not interchange. Thus owners of the S model won't have aftermarket barrel replacement options at least for a while.
I went with the SF model and couldn't be happier!!

tacops5372
04-19-2013, 18:45
I've owned the Glock 30, 30sf, and hybrid known as franken Glock before: I never had issues with the 30 model but was a little to big for my hands, the 30 sf was better but slide being like the 30 is a little bulkier to hide compared to a 19, 23, or 27. But the franken glock allowed me to have a high capacity 45 acp using a glock 19 iwb holster. My first franken Glock did have issues and I went back to my G27. This year I picked up a last years G30sf frame and G36 upper. Matted with a new updated recoil spring from the Glock store and no issues whatsoever. no hang up no nothing. I'm currently carrying it once again as a edc. No need for the 30s unless I get a really good deal sometime later on.. Oh and using a Crossbreed holster for a G19, but did find out they do have a selection now for the 30s. Don't know if I'm even gonna bother.....

silversport
04-20-2013, 06:06
isn't any choice a compromise...whether 3 ozs makes a difference to you or not there is no free lunch...does the slight extra recoil and possibly slight reduction in accuracy (if these are true...I must rely on those who have owned or shot both) worth the reduction of 3 ozs to you...it wasn't to me but that's why we have choices, right?... :supergrin:

Bill

Ladd Gardner
06-06-2013, 07:39
Hey, guys,

Not sure I should be reviving this sleeping thread, but I can say, for me, that carrying a G30s has made a big difference in EDC comfort. It's not the weight advantage, so much (G30s vs. G30); it the ergonomics.

I'm an NRA pistol instructor, and I've had my CCL for a couple decades. I carry IWB in the summer (Crossbreed) and OWB (Galco/Fletch Hi-Ride) in the winter.

I carried a 1911 commander, for many years, but switched to the G30 in the late '90s, and immediately appreciated the weight reduction and added capacity. For me, though, the Glock 30's reduced weight (vs. 1911) is offset by its added bulk. For OWB carry, it's not a problem, but for IWB carry the much thinner slide of the G30s has made a big difference.

For those of you who haven't carried IWB for many years, this may not make much sense, but the thinner slide of the Glock 30s/Glock 36 puts much less pressure on that area -- the hollow of your hip at 4 O'clock -- than the full-sized G30. It's the difference between carrying a 7" block of wooden 2x4 lumber -- with its stock square edges -- vs. a block of wood that's had its leading edges substantially chamfered and rounded... It's simply MUCH MORE comfortable when that blocky shape is cinched in TIGHT against the hollow of your outer hip.

I'm probably not explaining this well, but if you carry all day, every day, there's a big difference in the comfort of carrying a Glock 30s vs. the Glock 30. Is it worth retiring your G30 and buying a new G30s?? That's up to you. But, for us old codgers (with recurrent hip pain after a lifetime of carry) it's definitely worth it.

BabyGlock30
11-06-2013, 04:07
:rofl::wavey:Hey, guys,

Not sure I should be reviving this sleeping thread, but I can say, for me, that carrying a G30s has made a big difference in EDC comfort. It's not the weight advantage, so much (G30s vs. G30); it the ergonomics.

I'm an NRA pistol instructor, and I've had my CCL for a couple decades. I carry IWB in the summer (Crossbreed) and OWB (Galco/Fletch Hi-Ride) in the winter.

I carried a 1911 commander, for many years, but switched to the G30 in the late '90s, and immediately appreciated the weight reduction and added capacity. For me, though, the Glock 30's reduced weight (vs. 1911) is offset by its added bulk. For OWB carry, it's not a problem, but for IWB carry the much thinner slide of the G30s has made a big difference.

For those of you who haven't carried IWB for many years, this may not make much sense, but the thinner slide of the Glock 30s/Glock 36 puts much less pressure on that area -- the hollow of your hip at 4 O'clock -- than the full-sized G30. It's the difference between carrying a 7" block of wooden 2x4 lumber -- with its stock square edges -- vs. a block of wood that's had its leading edges substantially chamfered and rounded... It's simply MUCH MORE comfortable when that blocky shape is cinched in TIGHT against the hollow of your outer hip.

I'm probably not explaining this well, but if you carry all day, every day, there's a big difference in the comfort of carrying a Glock 30s vs. the Glock 30. Is it worth retiring your G30 and buying a new G30s?? That's up to you. But, for us old codgers (with recurrent hip pain after a lifetime of carry) it's definitely worth it.

Roger1079
11-06-2013, 07:09

So how is the G30s better than The G30sf... After all these points... Same width when carrying and the thinner slide doesnt mean nothing cause of the width of the frame... More muzzle flip... No aftermarket barrels...The thinner slide does mean something. My 30S fits in all of my G19 holsters. If you look at any of the 9mm or .40 models, the frame is slightly wider than the slide. With the 30 and 29, the slide is wider than the frame. As far as conversions, if I feel the need for another caliber, Glocks are inexpensive enough that I will just pick up a pistol in that caliber rather than trying to MacGyver a conversion with aftermarket parts that more often than not affect reliability.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Roger1079
11-06-2013, 07:14
I've owned the Glock 30, 30sf, and hybrid known as franken Glock before: I never had issues with the 30 model but was a little to big for my hands, the 30 sf was better but slide being like the 30 is a little bulkier to hide compared to a 19, 23, or 27. But the franken glock allowed me to have a high capacity 45 acp using a glock 19 iwb holster. My first franken Glock did have issues and I went back to my G27. This year I picked up a last years G30sf frame and G36 upper. Matted with a new updated recoil spring from the Glock store and no issues whatsoever. no hang up no nothing. I'm currently carrying it once again as a edc. No need for the 30s unless I get a really good deal sometime later on.. Oh and using a Crossbreed holster for a G19, but did find out they do have a selection now for the 30s. Don't know if I'm even gonna bother.....Although I know it doesn't matter, the serial numbers not matching between parts would bother the heck out of me.

NailShooter
11-06-2013, 07:53
I have both a G30 and a G30S. I'll never carry the G30 again. The thinner slide makes the G30S seem incredibly small and light. Run it with the 9 rd mag and it gets smaller yet. When I tell somebody that the gun holds 10 rds of 45 acp they can't believe it.

Ladd Gardner
11-06-2013, 08:24
LWD makes an aftermarket replacement barrel for the G36.

I've been running it in my Glock 30s, since it was new, and it shoots great, with no issues. Great for shooting lead, and I've reloaded both conventional round-nosed lead and even some long-Colt bullets from S&S Casting. Gun doesn't like lead, semi-wadcutters, but none of the smaller Glocks do, so that's not a rap against the G30s.

AngelDeville
11-06-2013, 10:47
Hey, guys,

I'm a 1911 IWB carrier, and the 30s may be the answer to IWB carry of a Blocky Glocky.

So far I have only carried a G26 OWB, I have been scared to invest in a MS holster for something I may hate.

Ladd Gardner
11-06-2013, 11:05
I'm a 1911 IWB carrier, and the 30s may be the answer to IWB carry of a Blocky Glocky.

So far I have only carried a G26 OWB, I have been scared to invest in a MS holster for something I may hate.

I still carry a 1911, occasionally, in a White Hat IWB holster. It's a commander-sized S&W 1911Sc e-series, two-tone with the bobtail. For a 1911, it's very light (Scandium frame) and -- because 1911s are so thin -- it's pretty comfortable. The 1911SC-e is very close to the Glock 30s, weight-wise (with loaded out magazines), but the Glock wins by a few ozs.

The downside of carrying the S&W bobtail, is that -- like most 1911-style pistols -- it doesn't have a light-rail, which I've come to really rely upon.

With the Glock 30s, I can take it out of my holster at night, and I can slap my Surefire X300 on it, and it makes a fantastic .45 ACP nightstand gun.

I understand your concerns about IWB holsters: You just have to experiment. Most of us end up with a couple dozen holsters -- only a handful of which we ever use -- and that goes with the territory.

For me, the hybrid holsters (broad leather body with kydex shell) are the most comfortable. The wider the distance between the belt-hook mounting points, the better, and the more evenly-distributed the weight.

For me, White Hat's IWB has proved to be the most comfortable, and that's coming from a guy who just gave his three-year-old Crossbreed holster to his son.

Everybody's anatomy is different, and there's no "magic bullet," or "one-size-fits-all holster. Good luck.

mreddenrn
11-07-2013, 15:23
I carry my Glock 30SF all day and don't even know it's there...

Noponer
11-07-2013, 16:20
I have both a G30 and a G30S. I'll never carry the G30 again. The thinner slide makes the G30S seem incredibly small and light. Run it with the 9 rd mag and it gets smaller yet. When I tell somebody that the gun holds 10 rds of 45 acp they can't believe it.

I own a G30sf & a G30s & have shot & carried both. Also, I have owned a few other G30's & G30sf's in the past. I will still carry my G30sf some, but primarily as a woods gun, etc. & only in an OWB holster. I still use a G30sf for GSSF competition. If I had to choose between owning only one or the other, I would take the G30sf over the G30s. The G30s shoots OK, but the G30sf is smoother overall.

When the G30s came along, I was not too excited about it, but now that I have owned one for a few months, I think it is great! In the summer, I pocket carry my G30s in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster I bought for a G26! When I do, I use a 9-rd mag with 8 rounds & 1 chambered. Even with 230gr Gold Dots, the weight is about 29.5 oz, per my postal scale.... less than my wife's loaded G19. I had tried carrying a G30sf in my pocket... but the extra weight & bulk was a little too much.

A G30s frame is wider than the slide... but so is the frame of a G26, G19 or G17.

Arnold Kuhl
11-07-2013, 18:08
I carry my Glock 30SF all day and don't even know it's there...
I have found the 30SF is not a problem for protracted IWB carry. I use a Don Hume leather clip-type holster, which is only $50 and very well made.

The only time the 30SF becomes a little uncomfortable while carrying appendix-style is when I sit down. So when I'm driving or riding, I usually take the gun off and place it nearby, and out of sight of other drivers.

The 30SF is a great gun. I was lucky to get an older one with the shiny black finish (it also came with the extended slide stop). Doesn't show any fingerprints, and all smudges wipe off easily.

Best .45 for carrying, IMHO.

AK

bigp
11-08-2013, 09:17
I think the 36 barrel will work because it's the same slide.

Sent from my LT28h using Ohub Campfire mobile app

screwman
11-12-2013, 07:30
Put my Frankenglock together last weekend and road tested it with 300 rds of everything I could mix together...flawless. The 36 slide makes all the difference and 10rds of 45acp works great.

Ladd Gardner
11-12-2013, 08:30
Put my Frankenglock together last weekend and road tested it with 300 rds of everything I could mix together...flawless. The 36 slide makes all the difference and 10rds of 45acp works great.

Yup, I found the same thing. :dancing:

As an early adopter of the G30 (1998) and G36 (2000), it seemed, to me, like an obvious move to meld the two together. Those of us with the "tinkering gene" discovered, early on, the slide could be mated to the receiver and the hybrid gun would function flawlessly.

I think there's a Teutonic trait that resists innovation, if the proposed changes relate to "comfort," and not function. I remember, for instance, that it took Mercedes-Benz about a decade to implement many of the features Americans adored in their automobiles (adjustable steering wheel, seat-warmers, cup-holders, etc).

I also think there's a tendency to down-play the G30s, if you own a G30: It's just human nature -- with a self-comforting side benefit -- to want to discount the importance of an obvious improvement to a gun you don't own.

"I've got a G30, and I've had it surgically installed in place of my right kidney, and I've experienced no discomfort for over a decade; there's no benefit to buying a G30s, with its minimally thinner slide!"

In 99% of these cases, the G30-owning poster has never even handled -- let alone fired, or carried IWB -- the newer, slimmer G30s: He's just defending the G30 on principle: The G30s is a "pretender," and you're wasting your money if you buy one! I think a lot of this is plain old "sour grapes."

I love my G30; it's a great gun. The G36 has seen lots of duty, too.

For me, the G30s is the "Goldilocks gun," if you're a candidate for a .45 ACP sub-compact. It carries more comfortably, and it shoots just as well as the G30, with no trade-off in accuracy. "Felt recoil" differences are minimal, if they're noticeable at all.

Glockcoltman
06-08-2014, 18:03
Just wanted to say i have a glock 30 sf 1000 rounds threw it no failures of any kind i hope im posting in the right place lol but anyway I have shot the glock 30s and have the glock30sf the 30s is a nice gun alittle lighter but i don't think its worth giveing up the fact that in my opition the glock 30sf is a better range gun a lot more fun with less recoil and carrys well to boot just my opition take it for what its worth lol ...

fowler
06-10-2014, 04:07
I agree the G30sf is a better range toy and the G30S a better carry EDC 45acp. Slimmer&less weight makes a difference. The G30S goes to work every day and others stay in the safe. The G30S is the best compact 45acp out there. Why carry a 380,38spec.9mm 0r 40sw.?

Ladd Gardner
06-10-2014, 05:51
+1 ^^

gundawg82
06-10-2014, 06:43
Just wanted to say i have a glock 30 sf 1000 rounds threw it no failures of any kind i hope im posting in the right place lol but anyway I have shot the glock 30s and have the glock30sf the 30s is a nice gun alittle lighter but i don't think its worth giveing up the fact that in my opition the glock 30sf is a better range gun a lot more fun with less recoil and carrys well to boot just my opition take it for what its worth lol ...

I agree the G30sf is a better range toy and the G30S a better carry EDC 45acp. Slimmer&less weight makes a difference. The G30S goes to work every day and others stay in the safe. The G30S is the best compact 45acp out there. Why carry a 380,38spec.9mm 0r 40sw.?

+1 ^^

still torn between the 30S or 30 G4 as my next .45, if they just make the 30S with Gen 4 frame it would make my choice easier.

while debating i think i will go for a 26 G4

hunter 111
06-10-2014, 07:13
Yup, I found the same thing. :dancing:

As an early adopter of the G30 (1998) and G36 (2000), it seemed, to me, like an obvious move to meld the two together. Those of us with the "tinkering gene" discovered, early on, the slide could be mated to the receiver and the hybrid gun would function flawlessly.

I think there's a Teutonic trait that resists innovation, if the proposed changes relate to "comfort," and not function. I remember, for instance, that it took Mercedes-Benz about a decade to implement many of the features Americans adored in their automobiles (adjustable steering wheel, seat-warmers, cup-holders, etc).

I also think there's a tendency to down-play the G30s, if you own a G30: It's just human nature -- with a self-comforting side benefit -- to want to discount the importance of an obvious improvement to a gun you don't own.

"I've got a G30, and I've had it surgically installed in place of my right kidney, and I've experienced no discomfort for over a decade; there's no benefit to buying a G30s, with its minimally thinner slide!"

In 99% of these cases, the G30-owning poster has never even handled -- let alone fired, or carried IWB -- the newer, slimmer G30s: He's just defending the G30 on principle: The G30s is a "pretender," and you're wasting your money if you buy one! I think a lot of this is plain old "sour grapes."

I love my G30; it's a great gun. The G36 has seen lots of duty, too.

For me, the G30s is the "Goldilocks gun," if you're a candidate for a .45 ACP sub-compact. It carries more comfortably, and it shoots just as well as the G30, with no trade-off in accuracy. "Felt recoil" differences are minimal, if they're noticeable at all.
Well put, very well put

hunter 111
06-10-2014, 07:19

Take a glass of water pick it up ....then hold it out at arms length
For 1 hour and then get back to use with your answer as to does a little weight matter

Ladd Gardner
06-10-2014, 07:43
For me, it's less about weight, and more about the thinner slide -- both for carry comfort, but also for grip, if you favor an aggressive, "Thumbs Forward" grip.

The thinner slide feels much better IWB, but it also allows for less potential interference when you're running the gun (off-hand thumb rubbing fatter G30 slide).

Subtle differences, which -- to me -- result in the G30s being a marginally better gun for those considering an EDC alternative in .45ACP.

k3sls
06-10-2014, 08:28
Take a glass of water pick it up ....then hold it out at arms length
For 1 hour and then get back to use with your answer as to does a little weight matter

I'd bet you'd be just as uncomfortable doing that test with an empty hand...

DJCantonGA
06-10-2014, 08:45
For me, it's less about weight, and more about the thinner slide -- both for carry comfort, but also for grip, if you favor an aggressive, "Thumbs Forward" grip.

The thinner slide feels much better IWB, but it also allows for less potential interference when you're running the gun (off-hand thumb rubbing fatter G30 slide).

Subtle differences, which -- to me -- result in the G30s being a marginally better gun for those considering an EDC alternative in .45ACP.

Well put, LG. The weight is secondary to the thinner slide, which makes IWB carry much more comfortable.

Batts
06-10-2014, 12:19
Well put, LG. The weight is secondary to the thinner slide, which makes IWB carry much more comfortable.

Then that's the case for the G36.

Lighter when loaded, and even thinner overall.

Besides, EDC doesn't mean Every Day Combat.

I carry a +1 mag reload for running away.

Batts

bac1023
06-10-2014, 12:59
I think the thinner slide and lighter weight is certainly worth the extra felt recoil.

NYresq
06-10-2014, 13:23
One more time for the folks at home who arent paying attention-

The 30S and the 36 use the same barrel, any aftermarket barrel for the 36 will fit the 30S. Its the same slide, same barrel. The part number for a replacement barrel from glock is the same for both (SP01872)...

And FYI, LW makes stock, ported and threaded barrels for the 36/30S.

fowler
06-10-2014, 15:13
I never use the extra grip size's on a Gen 4 anyway,thay stay in the box. Gen. 4 makes no sense to me.But I do like the SF frame on the G30S it fits my Med. hand perfect and a tad smaller than a G19.

realdiver7
06-10-2014, 21:12
Well I carry a Glock G30sf and wanted to sell it so i can get a G30s...

Well i noticed that the frame is identical to the G30s and the slide is alittle slimmer but what is the advantage? 3 ounces lighter?

But then again you cant use a G19/G23 holster cause well the frame is to wide... So the G30sf slide is the same width as the frame so whats the difference?

G30sf equals less muzzle rise and kick versus the G30s...

So how carrying the 2 makes a difference even if the G30s is slimmer? You still have the width of the frame... but 3 ounces lighter... Can you really feel the difference in just weight? cause carrying it will still be the same width...

What do you guys think?

I sold my G30SF (early model with jamming/trigger bar issues), my trusty old G30 Gen2.5, and my reliable G36, and bought 2 G30S pistols with correct trigger bars and RSAs. Used the extra money for new night sites and manual thumb safeties (no comments about extra safeties please). It all depends on your needs and likes. I will add that I HATE the new smooth, dull, cheap, gray, slide finish. Would trade for the old black frying pan finish in a minute!