First time at the range [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First time at the range

tylerlayne
01-25-2013, 04:18
I took my just acquired glock 22 to the gun range for the first time yesterday. It was all over the target with no really good cluster of holes on the 50 yard range. After bringing it home I tore it down to clean it and the inside of the barrel looks pretty worn. About how much would I be looking at for a barrel that's in better shape? Is there anything I can do with the barrel I have to restore it so I would still have a numbers matching gun? Thanks in advance for any info.

IndyGunFreak
01-25-2013, 06:50
I took my just acquired glock 22 to the gun range for the first time yesterday. It was all over the target with no really good cluster of holes on the 50 yard range. After bringing it home I tore it down to clean it and the inside of the barrel looks pretty worn. About how much would I be looking at for a barrel that's in better shape? Is there anything I can do with the barrel I have to restore it so I would still have a numbers matching gun? Thanks in advance for any info.

What exactly do you mean "worn"? Unless this pistol is about 70yrs old, or has about a million rounds through it, I doubt the barrel is "worn". How old is the firearm?

RoyHinkley
01-25-2013, 07:18
The rifling is a little different in a Glock. Is it because you don't see grooves or is there some other reason you think it's worn?

Shiloh228
01-25-2013, 08:25
I'm having a tough time equating "...just acquired..." and "...range for the first time..." and "...barrel looks pretty worn..."

OP: did you actually clean it and then look down the barrel?

NewportNewsMike
01-25-2013, 08:32
It was all over the target with no really good cluster of holes on the 50 yard range.

50 yards is LONG way to start if to see how a pistol shoots - particularly for the first time out.

Back off your distance to something REALLY short (say 7 yards) and see how tightly the gun (and you) will shoot.

Once you get to the point where you can get a good group, THEN start going for the longer distances.

That's the way I would approach it.

ScaryPerryDawsy
01-25-2013, 08:35
Did you have your target at 50 yards? I personally wouldn't shoot at that range with a newly acquired pistol. Try 15 yards next time and see how well you do. ;)

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

tylerlayne
01-25-2013, 10:23
Yes I had the target at 50 yards. Now that I think about it that is a little far. What I mean by just acquired is that I just got the glock on wednesday night.First time at the range I meant the first time I've taken the glock to the range. I have been a member at the range for over a year now. They have 3 outdoor pistol ranges with 50 yards being the longest. I will try a shorter distance tomorrow when I go back. The reason I thought the barrel would be worn is when I look through it I can see the rifling but not quite the same that my rifles have. Do pistols have a smoother bore than rifles?

RoyHinkley
01-25-2013, 10:47
Glocks have hexagonal rifling which looks smooth, not the typical grooves like you're used to.

tylerlayne
01-25-2013, 13:06
Glocks have hexagonal rifling which looks smooth, not the typical grooves like you're used to.

That makes me feel better. I thought I had a worn out pistol.

ADK_40GLKr
01-25-2013, 19:55
Many of us start out shooting at 3 yards. Seriously!

Getting used to a Glock trigger takes time because often just the act of pressing (pulling, squeezing) the trigger throws the bullet off the point of aim.

Most right handers start by shooting to the left & vice versa.

maestrogustav
01-25-2013, 20:52
You're looking at polygonal rifling. It is completely different than a rifle. If you didn't know that, you might get the impression that the barrel is worn.

Did you buy it used?

And shooting a pistol at 50 yards is, well, kind of a waste of ammo. Fun once in awhile, but not something any of us does frequently. Rounds touching at 50 yards? A miracle with a pistol freehand.

Start at 3 yards; go to 5, 7, 10, 12. 50 yards is for when you have a bet with your friend.

maestrogustav
01-25-2013, 20:53
Google polygonal rifling.

ithaca_deerslayer
01-25-2013, 21:02
Yes I had the target at 50 yards. Now that I think about it that is a little far. What I mean by just acquired is that I just got the glock on wednesday night.First time at the range I meant the first time I've taken the glock to the range. I have been a member at the range for over a year now. They have 3 outdoor pistol ranges with 50 yards being the longest. I will try a shorter distance tomorrow when I go back. The reason I thought the barrel would be worn is when I look through it I can see the rifling but not quite the same that my rifles have. Do pistols have a smoother bore than rifles?

If anyone suspects their handgun is inaccurate, and assuming they are not a national handgun champion competitor, they need to do 3 things:

1. Sit at a bench and see if the gun suddenly groups better :)

2. If that doesn't work, have a more experienced shooter try the same thing from the bench.

3. If that doesn't work, try some different ammo.

If none of those fix the problem, then you might have something wrong with the gun :)

bennie1986
01-25-2013, 21:03
Depending on the size of the target if you were at least consistently hitting the target your in good shape at 50 yds!

Hamrhed
01-26-2013, 06:06
I would start at 7 yards and see what you have- that should give you a good idea on the accuracy of your Glock, as mentioned...

I only mention 7 yards because that was the standard I was trained at for my CCW license

125K9
01-26-2013, 13:41
It seems to be time to sit that barrel down and have a talk with it. Tell it if it doesn't straighten out then it's time to hit the road. If you look down the barrel and see eyes looking back at you then you know it's time for a new one!

commonguy001
01-26-2013, 13:47
freehanding a pistol at 50 yards and expecting anything resembling a clustered shot pattern is asking too much IMO.

ca survivor
01-27-2013, 06:11
7 yards is a good starting distance, try it next time.

tylerlayne
01-28-2013, 14:24
Made it back out to the pistol range today. The 5&7 yard range was packed as usual so we had to go to the 15 yard range (i wish they would make a members only 5&7 yard range). Still I was impressed this time from 15 yards. Had a lot more on the target this time than I did from the 50 yard range.

BMiracletx
01-28-2013, 14:36
50 YARDS! REALLY?

Geez... there is a reason that most pistol ranges only go to 25 yards... and even then most pistol shooters rarely shoot at 25 yards. I think average range would be 7-15 yards. Most pistols are sighted for a distance of 15-25 yards. Anything past that and your margin of error becomes exponential. Most GOOD shooters are happy if they can keep all their rounds within a 6-inch circle hand held at 25 yards.

TheJ
01-28-2013, 14:48
50 yards or feet?

tylerlayne
01-28-2013, 15:28
50 yards. The only members only pistol range is 25&50 yards. The other 2 ranges are 5&7 yards and a 15 yard. They are open to members and daily shooters so they fill up pretty fast. On weekends the 25&50 yard range is the only one available without a wait. I always bring my rifles to shoot also so we did not want to wait on the shorter ranges.

Arc Angel
01-28-2013, 16:03
50 yards. The only members only pistol range is 25&50 yards. The other 2 ranges are 5&7 yards and a 15 yard. They are open to members and daily shooters so they fill up pretty fast. On weekends the 25&50 yard range is the only one available without a wait. I always bring my rifles to shoot also so we did not want to wait on the shorter ranges.

:shocked: Hey, Man! You need to get real. 50 yards! Nobody I know uses a Glock at 50 yards. (Wait, one hero, but he's the only person I know who does that; and he misses a lot.) :supergrin: You wrote that you're, 'all over the paper'. Know what? That's pretty damned good for 50 yards!

You still haven't said whether or not you purchased a brand new pistol. My sense is that you did not. Here's what polygonal rifling looks like in comparison to conventional (broach or button) rifling:

http://imageshack.us/a/img826/3335/polygonalvsconventionali.jpg

The polygonal rifling is the first image on the left; and, with a Glock you'd need somewhere between 200,000 to 300,000 + rounds through that barrel BEFORE it would be, 'worn out'. (What are the chances your, 'recently acquired' Glock has been shot that much!)

Personally, I, very much, doubt that your barrel needs to be replaced; but, if it does you can get around the, 'matching serial number thing' by simply getting an aftermarket barrel. (I use un:numbered Bar-Sto barrels on all of my Glocks.) ;)

Butch
01-28-2013, 16:25
50 yards is too far for a handgun? :wow:

Y'all never heard of 2700 matches huh?

A 2700 match consists of three 900 matches:

90 rounds with a .22 caliber pistol = 1 900 match
90 rounds with a Center Fire pistol = another 900 match
90 rounds with a .45 caliber pistol = the final 900 match

A 900 match consists of shooting 90 rounds:

20 rounds Slow Fire (normally shot at 50 yards, but can be done at 25 on a special 25 yard slow fire target if needed)
20 rounds Timed Fire at 25 yards (5 shots in 20 seconds)
20 rounds Rapid Fire at 25 yards (5 shots in 10 seconds)
30 rounds of National match Course (10 rounds of each of the Slow, Timed, and Rapid Fire)

Oh.....and that's all with one hand...standing, unsupported, with a ten ring that's just a touch over 3" in diameter.

tylerlayne, if you're as new to Glocks as you appear to be, check out my blog here on GlockTalk, especially the two articles on trigger control and using the reset on page two.

uaengineer
01-28-2013, 16:59
Oh...THAT'S why my LCP won't group at 75 yards...

tylerlayne
01-28-2013, 17:21
50 yards is too far for a handgun? :wow:

Y'all never heard of 2700 matches huh?

A 2700 match consists of three 900 matches:

90 rounds with a .22 caliber pistol = 1 900 match
90 rounds with a Center Fire pistol = another 900 match
90 rounds with a .45 caliber pistol = the final 900 match

A 900 match consists of shooting 90 rounds:

20 rounds Slow Fire (normally shot at 50 yards, but can be done at 25 on a special 25 yard slow fire target if needed)
20 rounds Timed Fire at 25 yards (5 shots in 20 seconds)
20 rounds Rapid Fire at 25 yards (5 shots in 10 seconds)
30 rounds of National match Course (10 rounds of each of the Slow, Timed, and Rapid Fire)

Oh.....and that's all with one hand...standing, unsupported, with a ten ring that's just a touch over 3" in diameter.

tylerlayne, if you're as new to Glocks as you appear to be, check out my blog here on GlockTalk, especially the two articles on trigger control and using the reset on page two.

Yes, I am new to glocks and pistol shooting in general. I have a S&W model 22A-1 target pistol I have owned for 6 years now. I have 5 rifles that I shoot a lot more than the pistol, but since buying the glock I am trying to hone my pistol shooting. I had no idea 50 yards was way to far to try target shooting with a glock. As I said, before I got my glock I used mainly rifles at the range. 50 yards is close with a rifle. The glock worked a lot better today from 15 yards instead of 50. I did also learn something new, don't be disappointed if you only hit the target a time or two from 50 yards. Actually I feel pretty good about it. Thanks Butch, I will read the blog and am sure I will pick up some pointers there. Thanks again.

sgt rock
01-28-2013, 19:29
Yes, I am new to glocks and pistol shooting in general. I have a S&W model 22A-1 target pistol I have owned for 6 years now. I have 5 rifles that I shoot a lot more than the pistol, but since buying the glock I am trying to hone my pistol shooting. I had no idea 50 yards was way to far to try target shooting with a glock. As I said, before I got my glock I used mainly rifles at the range. 50 yards is close with a rifle. The glock worked a lot better today from 15 yards instead of 50. I did also learn something new, don't be disappointed if you only hit the target a time or two from 50 yards. Actually I feel pretty good about it. Thanks Butch, I will read the blog and am sure I will pick up some pointers there. Thanks again.

Usually too far for the person shooting. But with alot of practice can be done.( search for Hickcock45 on Youtube for some long range pistol shooting ) Start out at 7 yards and learn the trigger and front dot sight. Farther distances you can use the top of the front sight blade as the dot is too big and can cover the target. Experiment and pratice. One brand of ammo may be more accurate than others.