Do I need a FFL? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a FFL?

erikofnorway
01-25-2013, 10:00
Do I need a FFL to sell a complete Glock 17 grip assembly out of state (I live in FL)? My research shows I do not but I see sellers on internet auctions requiring a FFL for selling same?

Erik

Wade-19
01-25-2013, 10:04
Yes you do. The frame is considered the firearm.

Edit. You have to ship it to a ffl. You don't have to use a ffl to ship it for you unless the buyers ffl will not accept from a private seller

erikofnorway
01-25-2013, 10:07
OK, thanks. I thought it was the slide (receiver being numbered) which was considered the firearm being the "vital" part. And that the grip was just "parts" of the firearm. Anyone else have views on this?

Erik

kodiakpb
01-25-2013, 10:14
There's nothing more to say. The frame is considered the firearm. In case you were not aware, the SN# is on the bottom of the dustcover. Glock putting SN#'s on their slides and barrels is inconsequential. You need to go through an FFL.

erikofnorway
01-25-2013, 10:20
There's nothing more to say. The frame is considered the firearm. In case you were not aware, the SN# is on the bottom of the dustcover. Glock putting SN#'s on their slides and barrels is inconsequential. You need to go through an FFL.

Understand. Thank you for info from both of you which is very helpful. However, of the two Glock 17's I have the early gen 3 frame is un-numbered, while the late gen 3 frame is numbered.

Erik

Wade-19
01-25-2013, 10:25
Understand. Thank you for info from both of you which is very helpful. However, of the two Glock 17's I have the early gen 3 frame is un-numbered, while the late gen 3 frame is numbered.

Erik

Then someone tampered with it. Every Glock frame has a numbered metal tag on the dust cover. including the Gen 2 I used to own

Wade-19
01-25-2013, 10:26
Also, even though the slides and barrels are numbered, there is no need for an ffl to sell those.

CincyBrad
01-25-2013, 11:00

Erik

If it has no serial, you probably won't be able to sell it.

The frame is the gun, according to the ATF, to sell it out of state you will have to ship it to an FFL, they will transfer it to the buyer. However, if the frame has no serial number, the FFL will likely refuse to transfer it. They cannot, under law, deal with a firearm that has an altered or removed serial number. That's a felony, btw, and will get you and the dealer in deep ***** with law enforcement.

erikofnorway
01-25-2013, 11:09
If it has no serial, you probably won't be able to sell it.

The frame is the gun, according to the ATF, to sell it out of state you will have to ship it to an FFL, they will transfer it to the buyer. However, if the frame has no serial number, the FFL will likely refuse to transfer it. They cannot, under law, deal with a firearm that has an altered or removed serial number. That's a felony, btw, and will get you and the dealer in deep ***** with law enforcement.

I clearly see where this could create big problems. So thank you for the heads up. I'll just strip it for spare parts and destroy the rest to be on the safe side. Thank you all for "educating the uneducated".