"Mini" Glock vs SA XDS [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : "Mini" Glock vs SA XDS

Sheepdog689
01-25-2013, 15:22
I'm looking at getting a smaller pistol for "summer wear".

I had been looking at the SA XDS, it seems to be getting really good reviews and it's really small. However, I'm a through and through Glock fanboy and would prefer to stay with Glock.

My off duty carry during fall/winter/spring is my G38, so I'm considering a G39 for my summer pistol. I like the idea of keeping the same caliber and platform year round rather than going with another caliber which means more ammo to stock and getting comfortable with another platform.

Does anyone have a photo comparing a G26, G27 or G39 with an XDS? I would like to see a side by side size comparison of the mini Glock vs the XDS.

And before anyone starts....I really don't care if you don't like the 45GAP, I'm not asking your opinion on the caliber. I like it, I reload it, I'm paying for it so it's my money, my decision and my choice. You don't have to buy it, shoot it, find ammo for it or anything else, that's my job.

Thanks

TargetPractice
01-25-2013, 18:11
Sorry, I don't have any pics for comparison to help. I just thought I'd throw my opinion out there for you as I own a XDS, and previously owned a G26 as well as a G30. The XDS is a great little firearm, but I'm not sure it's the best weapon to own in the .45 acp caliber. It can be very finicky, and Springfield has even told several people that I know that it requires a little extra finess to shoot. I work for the fire department and within a week of the gun becoming available locally, 7 of us bought them. Mine's been trouble free, but 4 of the guys have had issues with theirs that came back to how they were shooting it. I seem to only have trouble with mine if I purposely limp wrist it, then I can induce fail to fires very easily. Now that I have disclosed that information, I have to say that I really like it for carry. On paper, it isn't much smaller than a G26, but the area's that it's smaller is where it counts. The gun would only be 3/4 of an inch thick if it weren't for the takedown and slide stop levers. The levers are about 1/4" thick, and as you can see in any photo, they stick out away from the frame and slide. The frame and slide are quite a bit thinner than the G26, as the G26 slide and frame are wide enough that the levers basically sit flush. The height is basically a wash, and the length is only about 1/8 of an inch shorter on the XDS. The width is where it excels, and that seems to be the biggest thing that helps its conceal ability. I sold my G26 and bought my G30, which became by far my favorite Glock. The 30 shoots great, and has very little recoil for its size, but it feels like carrying a full size gun compared to the XDS. The 30 is much easier to rapid fire than the XDS, but the size and weight diffence is what I suspect helps that, as slow fire I'm as good with the XDS. I've not had my 30 back out of the safe since buying the XDS,as its become my main carry gun for how easy it is to carry, no matter what I'm wearing. The 26 was easier to carry than the 30, but not nearly as easy as this little XDS is. I'm not one for carrying in large iwb holsters, as i can't carry at work, and i just hate wearing bulky clothes off work. I'm sure you could get a nice holster and be perfectly comfortable with either gun, but I'm more into the minimalist holsters. I'm a big fan of the 45 acp round,but in the XDS, unless you just absolutely wanted the 45 (which is just an individual choice) I'd wait until later this year and get it in the 9 mm, as I feel it'll be much less finicky, and the specs have already come out and show its the same dimensions externally as it's 45 counterpart.

MSims
01-25-2013, 18:32
I'm looking at getting a smaller pistol for "summer wear".

I had been looking at the SA XDS, it seems to be getting really good reviews and it's really small. However, I'm a through and through Glock fanboy and would prefer to stay with Glock.

My off duty carry during fall/winter/spring is my G38, so I'm considering a G39 for my summer pistol. I like the idea of keeping the same caliber and platform year round rather than going with another caliber which means more ammo to stock and getting comfortable with another platform.

Does anyone have a photo comparing a G26, G27 or G39 with an XDS? I would like to see a side by side size comparison of the mini Glock vs the XDS.

And before anyone starts....I really don't care if you don't like the 45GAP, I'm not asking your opinion on the caliber. I like it, I reload it, I'm paying for it so it's my money, my decision and my choice. You don't have to buy it, shoot it, find ammo for it or anything else, that's my job.

Thanks

Well guess you wont be getting the XDS cause they dont make it in .45GAP... only in .45 acp =)

Sheepdog689
01-25-2013, 19:08
Well guess you wont be getting the XDS cause they dont make it in .45GAP... only in .45 acp =)

It's still up in the air, leaning towards the Glock. I really don't want to go with another caliber of ammo to stock up on so that's why I was leaning towards the 39. But, if the XDS is significantly smaller than the 39 I may just have to suck it up and stock up on 45acp in addition to GAP.

8ptbuk
01-25-2013, 21:25
I have a xds and love it !!! Also have a 27 when you carry each of them the xds wins hands down . Dont get me wrong I love my 27 also . My xds has been flawless so far . Watch hickock45's vid's on youtube if your really interested in one . Ejection is strong with mine and to 3 o'clock .

Rustin
01-25-2013, 21:59
As long as you don't take em' both to the range in the same trip! I've heard those .45's can be mixed up easy.

If your a self proclaimed Glock fanboy, consider the G26. It's truly one of Glocks best. The 39 is still going to be a bit thicker, at least in the slide. I think the Glock website said it was the same dimensions as the G26 but it's been confirmed to be false. Otherwise, they make the XDS in 9mm as well. Off duty a G26 is plenty I would surmise. The shorter grip, combined with a loaded weght of around 26 oz., makes it a breeze to carry and it shoot's like a fullsize, very controllable.

The 39 is a great choice considering you used to shooting the 38.

Heck, the glock 30s and 36 are great choices as well.

Tazz10m
01-26-2013, 02:40
Just google the models of the guns you want to see and click on "Images" and you will get more pictures than you know what to do with. For instance "Glock 26 XDM" or something like that. Works great.

CynicX
01-26-2013, 05:00
I have a friend who is an XD guy. He just went out and looked at the XDs and XDm sub compact .45 acp. He could decide on which so he bought both.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/26/y3esu9a6.jpg

I don't have a picturing comparing to a Glock but this is his EDC XD 9mm compared to the XDs.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/26/pa6a4ydy.jpg

He said they all run like tops. No issues. There's a I'm a glock guy myself but there are a lot of things I like about the XD line. Mostly the triggers.

bac1023
01-26-2013, 05:37
The XDs is much slimmer than the baby Glocks.

It actually a legitimate pocket pistol.

Sheepdog689
01-26-2013, 08:59
Thanks guys, appreciate all the input. My LGS has an indoor range and rents guns....I'll have to stop by and see if they have an XDS and a 26, 27 or 39 for rent so I can compare them side by side.

Sheepdog689
01-26-2013, 09:02
Tazz, thanks. Google is a wonderful thing....guess what I found?

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1434038

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/9794/dsc7443sc.jpg

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/3811/dsc7414.jpg

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/7771/dsc7437a.jpg

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/2673/dsc7445r.jpg

Overall they look close. The slide width looks to be a big difference. I don't carry anything IWB so that's not really too much of an issue for me. All mine ride in a belt or paddle holster.

I sent the OP of the other thread a PM to see if he's happy with the XDS over the 39. The other thread is over 6 months old so hopefully he's got some range time to make a good comparison.

SDR
01-26-2013, 09:26
I agree on many posts above...the G26 is a great weapon (well, it's a Glock). But the thickness of the XDS was the HUGE difference to me. I'm not a large guy and every bit helps. The fact that the XDS (and new XDM) have almost an exact Glock type trigger actuation is what sold me. It's a bit heavier and longer but compared to the regular XD series (NASTIEST TRIGGER EVAR! IMHO) it's terrific.

BTW the mention above about the XDs in 9MM, well that will be the case in about 5 months but not now.

bklynpete
01-26-2013, 11:23
Look at the G36, better comparison to the XDs 45. I owned a G36, but carry a XD45c during the winter, and a Kahr CW45 in the warmer months. Check out the Kahr also, love mine.

HGxyz
01-26-2013, 13:16
If the width doesn't matter to you, I can't see any reason not to choose the G39.

The G39 will shoot softer, and I would guess most people can shoot faster and more accurately with the G39 (I own an XDS, but have only rented a G39 a couple times). The XDS is more complex - more parts and harder to maintain, plus Glock parts (OEM and second party) are a lot easier to come by (particulary the GAP mag floorplate). Speaking of mags - you get an extra round with G39 (XDS comes with two 5 round mags), and of course you can use your compact and full sized Glock mags as well. Having put Big Dot sights on both my Glock sub-compacts and my XDS, doing the Glocks were much easier (the XDS front sight is a dovetail fitting). My XDS has been reliable so far, but reports of feeding problems with the XDS are rampant - either it's very finicky and people with poorer grip/form have trouble or the quality is not uniform.

The thinness of the gun is the only advantage I can see in the XDS - that's why I bought it.

MarkCO
01-26-2013, 16:35
Not General Glocking. Try Carry Issues or General Firearms Forums. General Glocking is just for discussions about GLOCKS.