My home defense setup. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My home defense setup.

jpl291
01-26-2013, 21:00
I usually have two standard magazines loaded up for the glock. But in the spirit of Obama thought I would go ahead and put this in there.

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m441/jpl291/image_zps7ef50b00.jpg
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m441/jpl291/image_zps2295bbea.jpg

sernul
01-26-2013, 21:02
We don't care. :rofl::rofl:

FireForged
01-26-2013, 21:43
That extended magazine makes for a good handhold for the "otherguy".

G23c
01-26-2013, 23:04
looks like your'e ready!

GRT45
01-27-2013, 10:47

jpl291, I like your attitude.

FireForged makes a good point. The extended happy stick mag is a convenient handle for a bad guy to gain leverage and control of your pistol in a worst-case scenario of a hand-to-hand struggle. For that reason, I keep our 45ACP HD pistols loaded with 17-rnd mags and stow loaded 30-rnd happy sticks in our vehicles and at defensible locations within the home for emergency reserve.

jpl291
01-27-2013, 10:51
Yeh I agree would be much easier to grab the handgun with that extended mag. With all of the talk about the 10 round ban just thought I would get them out to celebrate what appears to be a win for our second amendment.

The Fed
01-27-2013, 10:53
They should ban hi-cap magazines - anything over 100 rounds is just too heavy to carry.

Joshhtn
01-27-2013, 11:06
Nice set up!

Glockdude1
01-27-2013, 11:36
http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/showergun.jpg

:cool:

Kentguy
01-27-2013, 12:19
Jpl291,

My Gen. 3, G19 is set up with +2 extension giving my 17+1 rounds, Tridium night sights, Streamlight TLR-I rail mounted tactical LED, Beavertail Grip T0966 Black, Extended Slide Release.

Makes it residents in my night stand next to the bed.

If it really hits the fan and I have the time... my trusty Winchester 1300 shot gun, ProMag Magazine Tube Extension & MidwayUSA Buttstock Shotshell Ammunition Carrier 5-Round which gives me 8+1 and 5 on the side for total of 14 rounds of 00 buck, "TRUGLO" Rifle Sights.

If I can't take care of business with that much fire power - well lets just say than I'm really up the old creek without a paddle! :shocked:

John_NJ
01-27-2013, 12:46
My house has 3 stories and I have a Glock "on duty" with an extra mag on each level. Plus a Mossberg 12 Gauge pump to boot.

AK47Man
01-27-2013, 12:48

Why is this gun and mags in a vacuum sealed bag? LOL..Expecting a flood soon?:rofl:

MaestroDW
01-27-2013, 12:50
Why is this gun and mags in a vacuum sealed bag? LOL..Expecting a flood soon?:rofl:

Probably the next time the shower gets turned on...

AK47Man
01-27-2013, 12:53
My Home Defense Setup: Wife's nightstand..G19 loaded with Hydra Shoks. My nightstand; G22 loaded with Ranger T Series 180gr..In the corner; Loaded 12ga pump with 000 Buck "Bear Shot"...Home security system and two labs..Nobody will get near us without getting blasted to Hell...!!!

wacopolumbo
01-27-2013, 12:56
jpl291, I like your attitude.

FireForged makes a good point. The extended happy stick mag is a convenient handle for a bad guy to gain leverage and control of your pistol in a worst-case scenario of a hand-to-hand struggle. For that reason, I keep our 45ACP HD pistols loaded with 17-rnd mags and stow loaded 30-rnd happy sticks in our vehicles and defensible locations within the home for emergency reserve.

I'm with you. Gun in each night stand and strategically placed on each floor. Remington 870 nearby and extra mags in each car....

Glockdude1
01-27-2013, 13:03

You never know the time trouble will arrive.

Cole125
01-27-2013, 13:08
:thumbsup:

Nice set up.

Cheeseburger1976
01-27-2013, 13:09
In the shower?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Chicago2VP71
01-27-2013, 13:12

At least you know if you're showering and the world ends you have your Glock right next to you. Why the vacuum seal though? These things can get wet and "fire in water" :)

AK47Man
01-27-2013, 13:12
You never know the time trouble will arrive.

By the time he cuts the gun out of that suck-dried bag the bad guys would be there and gone...:rofl:

Quip26
01-27-2013, 13:40

DustyJacket
01-27-2013, 14:07
Here is my home security setup:

http://www.dustyjacket.com/images/security.jpg

looks like I am screwed, unless those eyes are lasers or something.

AK47Man
01-27-2013, 14:16
Awe..Beautiful babies you have there Dusty..!!

vandros
01-27-2013, 14:27
Not sure I'd post pics of my actual HD set up on a publicly accessible forum. But, that's just me.

adaman04
01-27-2013, 18:18
OP I'm on board with everything except for the pistol grip shotgun. Get a stock on that hog and wear it out. :D

MadeInAmerica
01-27-2013, 18:55

Trying pulling the trigger before the guy grabs the mag.

RBid
01-27-2013, 19:21
I think the 'extended mag is bad because a bad guy can grab it' point is right up there with 'semis are bad, because bad guys can grab the slide and push them out of battery'. It's not an inaccurate theory, but it's unlikely enough that it shouldn't be a factor in decision making.

I have 31 and 22 round mags for my G23. I prefer 13 and 15 for most purposes, but a happy stick makes sense for HD. While I say this, my go-to is a PPQ with 17+1 of 9mm.

cowboywannabe
01-27-2013, 19:36

how is the "otherguy" bullet catcher getting close enough to hold your gun?

Opie 1 Kenopie
01-27-2013, 19:45
Not sure I'd post pics of my actual HD set up on a publicly accessible forum. But, that's just me.

Why? Is there something in the pic that tells others where he lives so they can come take them? Wil bad guys remember reading GlockTalk and be prepared for his setup? Sometimes the fearmongering here gets a little silly.

OP, I'm on board with everything except for that pistol grip shotgun.
+1. It might look cool, but there is no good way to shoot one of those things. From the hip: no accuracy. From the shoulder: lose some teeth. A good collapsible stock would make that rig combat ready.

cowboywannabe
01-27-2013, 19:50
breacher grips take all the torque and teeth knocking out of shooting a pistol grip shotgun.

Opie 1 Kenopie
01-27-2013, 19:53
breacher grips take all the torque and teeth knocking out of shooting a pistol grip shotgun.

But breacher grips are just that, for a breaching shotgun. A breacher's target is about two inches away from his shotgun muzzle. There's no effective way to use that gun in a HD scenario. My observation is that those grips are made for the same people who think you don't need to aim a shotgun.

cowboywannabe
01-27-2013, 19:57
But breacher grips are just that, for a breaching shotgun. A breacher's target is about two inches away from his shotgun muzzle. There's no effective way to use that gun in a HD scenario. My observation is that those grips are made for the same people who think you don't need to aim a shotgun.

of course you have to do that, but the shorter gun is more manuverable....

Opie 1 Kenopie
01-27-2013, 20:01
But maneuverability is worthless if I can't use the weapon to defend my family. That's why many "in the know" keep a decent handgun as their HD setup. Along with a spare mag, a good light and a cellphone, it's a tough package to beat. Plus, there's NO WAY you're going to touch off a round from that pistol grip gun while one hand is holding kids back or opening a door. I can use my short 870 with one hand pretty well. A long way from perfect, but pretty well if I had to.

cowboywannabe
01-27-2013, 20:04
But maneuverability is worthless if I can't use the weapon to defend my family. That's why many "in the know" keep a decent handgun as their HD setup. Along with a spare mag, a good light and a cellphone, it's a tough package to beat. Plus, there's NO WAY you're going to touch off a round from that pistol grip gun while one hand is holding kids back or opening a door. I can use my short 870 with one hand pretty well. A long way from perfect, but pretty well if I had to.

you should not have to hold back your kids, where the hell are they and why are they trying to run past you?

also, why are you trying to clear your house by yourself? if your alarm goes off let the police do their job and you stay put.

Opie 1 Kenopie
01-27-2013, 20:11
Well around here cowboy, I AM the police. And your examples are off point. I've never searched a structure where I didn't at one point need a hand free to open a door, pull back a curtain, or operate some other piece of equipment. And I search a LOT of structures for a living. The kids example you gave is silly. My kids aren't running past me. But having a hand free to push them out of the way, pull them along out of the house etc is pretty "handy". Bunkering down and waiting for the police is a great idea, but it might not always work. A home invasion near me recently found the bad guys lighting the house on fire as they escaped with their loot. I'm not sitting around and waiting for less-experienced/less-trained officers to come rescue me if my family is in peril. I'll run a short stock on my Scattergun. You keep your pistol grip and a spare pouch of good luck.

Zeeman1
01-27-2013, 20:13
Yes, the Glock will fire under water, but the barrel and other internals will rust.

mj9mm
01-27-2013, 20:17

so does that conclusion apply to the 12 guage too?:rofl:

FireForged
01-27-2013, 20:18
how is the "otherguy" bullet catcher getting close enough to hold your gun?

In close quarters, in the dark- coupled with all the elements that can be involved in a home invasion/burglary, it is very presumptuous to even begin to think or let alone believe that the home owner is not, will not or cant possibly get into a hand to hand with his attackers. It happens and it will always happen, as long as men fight and do battle with weapons held in hand. I was simply pointing out that if a person was to fight over that particular handgun, its got a perfect handhold with more leverage being afforded to the disarmer rather than the armed.

To answer the question: Probably by being the one you didnt see or the one you haven't seen yet.

FireForged
01-27-2013, 20:30
so does that conclusion apply to the 12 guage too?:rofl:

Its not a conclusion... 10inches of realestate hanging out of the bottom of a pistol or 18" of barrel by simply virtue, will always make a good hand hold.

Im not saying I wouldnt use a shotgun, I would. I just would not want to move around with it while people are skulking around in my house.

cowboywannabe
01-27-2013, 20:40
Well around here cowboy, I AM the police. And your examples are off point. I've never searched a structure where I didn't at one point need a hand free to open a door, pull back a curtain, or operate some other piece of equipment. And I search a LOT of structures for a living. The kids example you gave is silly. My kids aren't running past me. But having a hand free to push them out of the way, pull them along out of the house etc is pretty "handy". Bunkering down and waiting for the police is a great idea, but it might not always work. A home invasion near me recently found the bad guys lighting the house on fire as they escaped with their loot. I'm not sitting around and waiting for less-experienced/less-trained officers to come rescue me if my family is in peril. I'll run a short stock on my Scattergun. You keep your pistol grip and a spare pouch of good luck.

you either take things personnally, or are having a bad night or have mental problems. either way good luck to you with your future endevours.

Opie 1 Kenopie
01-27-2013, 22:40
you either take things personnally, or are having a bad night or have mental problems. either way good luck to you with your future endevours.

All three. :rofl:

And thank you. I travel well armed.