Thinking about buying Glock 23. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying Glock 23.

DARKSHADOW
01-26-2013, 21:33
For some reason in my neck of the woods .40 ammo seems to always be on the shelf when it comes to panic buying. 45acp and 9mm are the first to go along with .223 ammo, and even 22LR is mostly gone from the few stores I have been to.

So, this has me thinking I should by another Glock, but in the .40 family. The Glock 23 seems to fit the bill, the height from the bottom of the mag to the top of the slide is only 2/10" taller than my Glock 36, and the standard mag carries 13 rounds.

I just want to add another horse to the CCW corral that I can still find ammo for while everyone is gobbling up the other caliber ammo.

Who here has a Glock 23, and how do you like it?

kodiakpb
01-26-2013, 21:40
I have a 23C. Your description of your area and caliber available seems to be the same in my neck of the woods as well.

G23c
01-26-2013, 22:01
Love my G23's. I have G23c and a Gen 2 that I had magnaported back in the day. I take it as my sidearm every time I go hunting. Just a great gun, go get one!

skyboss_4evr
01-26-2013, 22:02
My G23's are my absolute favorites.

SargeMO
01-26-2013, 22:03
They are great... if i had to get by with one, the 23 would be IT.

Range reports from several 23's included here (http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/the-glock-files/).

Steel Head
01-26-2013, 22:09
My G23 is the only Glock I've kept.
It's all the Glock I need.

bennie1986
01-26-2013, 22:19
My gen 3 23 is my favorite gun!

bobtheelf
01-26-2013, 22:23
I like mine. This is 10 shots at about 10 yards from a couple days ago.

rilkil23
01-26-2013, 22:42
My Gen4 G23 has become my favorite. I received it as a Christmas gift 2012.

USAFgoober
01-26-2013, 22:44
Ive had a Gen4 23 since early last year. Its my primary CCW gun. It has run perfectly since day one, couldnt be happier with it.

MotoXXX
01-27-2013, 00:09
How can you tell what Gen your G 23 is?

sernul
01-27-2013, 00:50
I was in the same predicament as you on the .40 caliber glock. After lots of research about the glock .40 kaboom and the head of the barrel isn't fully supported I went with the 9mm.

Seawolf
01-27-2013, 02:30
Every time some thread pops up trashing the 40S&W Glocks I smile. More ammo for me.

Seawolf
01-27-2013, 02:33
I was in the same predicament as you on the .40 caliber glock. After looks of research about the glock .40 kaboom and the head of the barrel isn't fully supported I went with the 9mm.

You do realize that only revolvers can fully support the neck of a case. Glock has also made changes to the feed ramp and throat of the barrel to add more support to the neck in it's 40S&W handguns.
All guns go kaboom if the ammo is bad. It's not the gun's fault. 1911s, Sigs, Berettas, even revolvers have gone BOOM from bad ammo.
Stop spreading b*ll**** you know nothing about.

Photo from another thread on the same kaboom claims.
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x187/SargeMO/CaseSupport2-1.jpg

cadillacguns
01-27-2013, 03:35
I bet my life on my G-23. Nuff said!:wavey:

CynicX
01-27-2013, 05:17
I have a G32 with a 23 barrel. I love .40 s&w, has a good amount of firepower for its size. It runs great, IMO it's a little more snappy then 9mm and 45acp (unless you are showing light grain high power 45acp) so that might be a turn off for some. Not me though!

SJ 40
01-27-2013, 05:45
You do realize that only revolvers can fully support the neck of a case. Glock has also made changes to the feed ramp and throat of the barrel to add more support to the neck in it's 40S&W handguns.
All guns go kaboom if the ammo is bad. It's not the gun's fault. 1911s, Sigs, Berettas, even revolvers have gone BOOM from bad ammo.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x187/SargeMO/CaseSupport2-1.jpg+ 1
I have been shooting 40 S&W in a Glock since 2002,reload for it ,even cast lead bullets through a factory barrel .
Through the tens of thousands of rounds I have never Ka Boomed not one single round.

When I load them I load them as what they are 40 S&W's not 10mm's. Ka Booms are a direct result of ammunition,nothing more. SJ 40

fortheboys
01-27-2013, 06:12
I have a 2nd gen 23 that I use in my off duty rotation in a milt sparks SS2. Has never had one malfunction with everything from practice/lead free rounds to Corbon 165 jhp's.
Fantastic weapon. It will never leave me just like my 2nd gen 19.

Good luck and enjoy it if you buy one.

LT642
01-27-2013, 06:13
We issue the G 22. 23, and 27 depending on the officer's assigment, when possible they are given a choice between the 22 and 23. The G23 has been a reliable pistol, and I have not seen any issues with them. Many of our officers shoot monthly and have voiced no complaints.

I happen to like the G23, I carry that or a G27 daily. If you shoot quality factory ammo and follow Glock's maintenance guidelines, I don't think you'll have a problem.
I know many here on GT don't want to have to buy numerous cailbers, but when the well runs dry, it's nice to have options.

Good luck with your decision and let us know waht you decide.

SargeMO
01-27-2013, 06:18

Now you've gone and used my photo, apparently to make a point completely opposite of what the photo illustrates.

The point of that photo and the article (http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2009/09/lone-wolf-distributors-barrel-for-glock.html) it attributes to was to illustrate that Glock has in fact increased chamber support in their .40 cal barrels over the years. Now why would they do this?

When .40 Glocks started appearing on LE ranges, they were immediately followed by a series of NCIC teletype bulletins describing guns bursting during range exercises. During the early 90's, the teletype was spitting them out at several a month. These were detailed, specific and usually described the type of ammo being used at the time of the event. Factory loads were named in the majority of them. Just to check my memory, I bounced this off somebody who worked full time at the communications desk at that time. She says AT LEAST once a week to her recollection, from about 91-94. I don't know if NCIC saves their officer safety bulletins from that far back. I've been away from uniform patrol from '96 to '08, so I can't comment with any authority on what went out over the TTY during that period. I can tell you with confidence that LE KaBooms are all but unheard of since 2008.

If patrol cars, shotguns, or mace cannisters had been blowing up like that, there would have been hell to pay; MAJOR recalls, citing specific failures and serial # ranges, once the manufacturer acknowledged the problem. I don't really know how Glock managed to dodge that bullet, but I do know that it would be uncharacteristic for NCIC to have engaged in 'Glock bashing'.

What the photo illustrates is that Glock made subtle changes, w/o admitting there ever was a chamber support problem in the first place. But there definitely was a problem and it wasn't 'the ammo'. We were running those loads through S&W, Sig and Beretta .40's w/o any problem at all. I have run literally thousands of .40 cal lead bullet reloads and factory FMJ through XD's w/o a problem.

PS- If you're going to spread bull**** you know nothing about, do not use my photos to do it.

bennie1986
01-27-2013, 07:12
Now you've gone and used my photo, apparently to make a point completely opposite of what the photo illustrates.

The point of that photo and the article it attributes to was to illustrate that Glock has in fact increased chamber support in their .40 cal barrels over the years. Now why would they do this?

When .40 Glocks started appearing on LE ranges, they were immediately followed by a series of NCIC teletype bulletins describing guns bursting during range exercises. During the early 90's, the teletype was spitting them out at several a month. These were detailed, specific and usually described the type of ammo being used at the time of the event. Factory loads were named in the majority of them. Just to check my memory, I bounced this off somebody who worked full time at the communications desk at that time. She says AT LEAST once a week to her recollection, from about 91-94. I don't know if NCIC saves their officer safety bulletins from that far back. I've been away from uniform patrol from '96 to '08, so I can't comment with any authority on what went out over the TTY during that period. I can tell you with confidence that LE KaBooms are all but unheard of since 2008.

If patrol cars, shotguns, or mace cannisters had been blowing up like that, there would have been hell to pay; MAJOR recalls, citing specific failures and serial # ranges, once the manufacturer acknowledged the problem. I don't really know how Glock managed to dodge that bullet, but I do know that it would be uncharacteristic for NCIC to have engaged in 'Glock bashing'.

What the photo illustrates is that Glock made subtle changes, w/o admitting there ever was a chamber support problem in the first place. But there definitely was a problem and it wasn't 'the ammo'. We were running those loads through S&W, Sig and Beretta .40's w/o any problem at all. I have run literally thousands of .40 cal lead bullet reloads and factory FMJ through XD's w/o a problem.

PS- If you're going to spread bull**** you know nothing about, do not use my photos to do it.

Its my understanding that part of the problem in the early 90's was the very thin case wall the ammo manufactures were using.

todd_g
01-27-2013, 07:15
I have a Gen 3 G23 and a Gen 2.5 G27 that have never failed to function, I also have a LW 9mm conversion barrel that I share between the two. I have ofton thought about getting a 357sig barrel but most of my arsinal is in the 40 and 9mm family Having the options available in one handgun is a plus.

skyboss_4evr
01-27-2013, 07:20

The point of that photo and the article it attributes to was to illustrate that Glock has in fact increased chamber support in their .40 cal barrels over the years. Now why would they do this?

Wow! What crawled up your panties??

nickster1
01-27-2013, 07:22
My first Glock was a gen 3 23. Have it now for about 11 years, not 1 malfunction. It's my main carry piece and go to pistol. I think it's a great combination of size, capacity and stopping power. Absolutely love it.

bennie1986
01-27-2013, 07:29
I think it's a great combination of size, capacity and stopping power. Absolutely love it.

This is the reason i bought mine! IMO there isn't a more perfect gun!

F106 Fan
01-27-2013, 09:50

The point of that photo and the article (http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2009/09/lone-wolf-distributors-barrel-for-glock.html) it attributes to was to illustrate that Glock has in fact increased chamber support in their .40 cal barrels over the years. Now why would they do this?

I think your photo is the most often reproduced explanation of Glock chamber support over the years. You can certainly take the position that Glock had a problem and fixed it without saying anything. I would take the position that Glock doesn't currently have a problem with .40 S&W and let it go at that. It's NOT a current problem and it hasn't been for quite some time.

I also think there was a problem with brass wall thickness about the same time. What I don't know is whether guns from other manufacturers were having problems with the somewhat new .40 S&W.

It's true that the older Glock barrels had less support than the newer models but I wonder if the older barrels will work with the current ammo. It's not like those barrels were recalled and they must certainly be out in the field somewhere.

Way back, a long time ago, I throated my 1911 to facilitate feeding 200 gr semi-wadcutters. I overdid it and I began to notice the same kind of 'smiley' that Glock had with the .40s. So, I replaced the barrel and took a different approach. Cutting away material in the chamber was NOT a good idea! Even in a .45...

Today, Glock doesn't have a problem and reloaders are reusing the expended Glock brass with no problems whatsoever. But even there, some folks believe they have to buy super-duper push through sizing dies and other nonsense just because there might, once upon a time, have been a problem with Glock chambers allowing the brass to overexpand. Nonsense! All they need to do is properly adjust their regular sizing die!

This .40 S&W myth just has to die. It doesn't apply to modern Glocks with modern ammunition.

Richard

SargeMO
01-27-2013, 10:18
LOL, F106fan. You're not the first guy to learn the lesson of under-cutting the chamber while throating a 1911 barrel.

Found this on the subject of re-designed .40 casings:

In late 1995, Federal Cartridge of Anoka, Minnesota undertook a redesign of their .40 S&W cartridge case to strengthen internally the area of the case web. While no one at Federal will address this for the record, it has been suggested that this move was dictated by the popularity of the .40 S&W Glocks, and Federal's attempt to hedge against head/web ruptures with any of their .40 S&W ammunition.

Federal .40 S&W rounds which may contain suspect casings may be identified as follows: Lot number consists of 10 characters (mostly numbers). In the 7th position, there may be a number or a letter. If there is a number in that position, the ammo was manufactured with the old style (possibly defective) brass. If it contains the letter Y (1995) or R (1996), the ammo has the redesigned casing and should be okay. If the letter H appears, then check the next three digits (the last three in the lot number). Ammo lot numbers H244 or below have the old style casings. Lots H245 and above have the new style casings.

This information was provided by Federal Cartridge Company in September 1996.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.40_S%26W

That photo has seen wide distribution and I don't object to that. But I was active in LE when Glocky-Booms were common and given the variety of factory loads that produced them, I get a little aggravated when folks yell "It's the ammo" and use the photo to try and sell that argument.

I'll shut up now. The 23 is a great pistol.

EddieG17
01-27-2013, 10:45
Do it bro you won't regret it , there is always talk on gt how amazing these pistols are , im very happy with mine

flysubcompact
01-27-2013, 11:07
Before buying our first Glock last year I researched a lot online. One thing that kept popping up was info from folks who had trouble buying ammo during these gun panics. "Glad I had a .40sw....at least I could get ammo for the range.", etc.

That coupled with the fact that the .40 cal Glocks can be down sized to 9mm for cheaper shooting. We usually have our .40's in 9mm mode, but just two weeks ago we were able to go to the range because .40 was available at Walmart.

The G23 is an excellent firearm. In stock .40 mode or downsized with a conversion barrel. The only real downside I've seen so far is from a reloader's point of view. Our Glocks in stock .40 mode warp the crap out of spent shell casings. "Pregnant guppy" is the term. Some guys straighten them out and reload them. I'm not that advance in my reloading, so I only do 9mm reloadings at this time.

sernul
01-27-2013, 11:24

Lol serious nerd rage:steamed: here, if you going to ***** and moan just stfu.:tongueout:

Browner
01-27-2013, 11:37
I just bought a G23 and shoot it this week. Super nice. No regrets here.

bear62
01-27-2013, 11:41
My most often carry guns are the G23 and G27. I feel very comfortable with either one........

chemboy
01-27-2013, 11:41
For some reason in my neck of the woods .40 ammo seems to always be on the shelf when it comes to panic buying. 45acp and 9mm are the first to go along with .223 ammo, and even 22LR is mostly gone from the few stores I have been to.

So, this has me thinking I should by another Glock, but in the .40 family. The Glock 23 seems to fit the bill, the height from the bottom of the mag to the top of the slide is only 2/10" taller than my Glock 36, and the standard mag carries 13 rounds.

I just want to add another horse to the CCW corral that I can still find ammo for while everyone is gobbling up the other caliber ammo.

I picked up a Gen4 G23 last summer and I really like it. I have had a couple Gen2 G23's(about 15 years ago) and I could never get used to the 'snap' of the 40 cal cartridge in that particular platform.
The Gen4 seems to be noticeably softer shooting, and I am quite happy with it.
Also, sounds like my ammo sitrep is similar to yours; plenty of 40, 45 ACP, even 10mm, but 9X19 is very hard to come by.

gooffeyguy
01-27-2013, 11:55
Gen4's have a dual recoil spring setup that gives less recoil

chemboy
01-27-2013, 12:01
Gen4's have a dual recoil spring setup that gives less recoil

Yep. That's what they have been saying. However, it is nice for me to be able to confirm that myself-I am a bit jaded when it comes to manufacturer's claims about such things.

gooffeyguy
01-27-2013, 13:07
You can buy aftermarket dual spring recoil reducing guide rod setups. I used to have one for my 2nd Gen G23 and it worked well, but got rid of it when I installed the LaserMax guide rod laser back in '96. I notice they cost about double now than they did back then ($75-100)..... just like everything else...lol

As far as the barrel, I wouldn't worry too much about the chamber support in a newer model. Glock has improved it. I bought my G23 back in '92/93 and have shot reloads and hard cast lead bullets through it (even using AA#5) :wow: for many years without any problems. Like you should with any reload, you just have to start low and work up and watch the bullet seating depth. You can also get fully supported aftermarket barrels with conventional rifling for $99-150, along with 9mm conversion barrels and drop-in .357 sig barrels.

Here's a pic of my original '92 era G23 barrel....

http://webpages.charter.net/gooffeyguy/DSCN1499.JPG

Lvs1935
01-27-2013, 14:06
I just picked up a Gen 4 mod 22 and 23.The 23 is an excellent pistol.My wife shot both of them and commented she liked the "little one" best.I was surprised she felt comfortable with it.You can't go wrong with the 23.

JakeFromStateFarm
01-27-2013, 14:16
I love my g23! Till death do us part.

DARKSHADOW
01-27-2013, 14:50
Well I stoped by one of my LGS today, and they had Gen3 G23's marked at $549, and the Gen4 G23's marked at $599.
I have two more shop's to check out before I decide.

Thanks for the input yall. :wavey:

Just out of curiosity, do you think the extra $50 for the Gen4 is worth it? Assuming I can't find a Gen4 at a better price.

SargeMO
01-27-2013, 14:50
...Here's a pic of my original '92 era G23 barrel....

Great photo & thanks for posting it. We need to start a database of Glock .40 chamber support pics throughout the production history. I'd like to use it, with attributes of course, provided you have no objection.

Thanks-

Sarge

SmithietheFox
01-27-2013, 15:06
Do it and don't look back- of all of the Glocks that I own the 23 is the only model I have duplicates of

gooffeyguy
01-27-2013, 15:07
Great photo & thanks for posting it. We need to start a database of Glock .40 chamber support pics throughout the production history. I'd like to use it, with attributes of course, provided you have no objection.

Thanks-

Sarge

That's fine by me. I am also curious as to when they changed. My '92 barrel looks a lot like the '98 one in your pic. Apparently sometime between then and 2009 there was a change.

GIG4FUN
01-27-2013, 15:15
G23 here, I recommend.

AR15 guy
01-27-2013, 15:17
I have a gen 3 23, and 19...right now I still prefer the 9mm, but I'm starting to like the 23.

Taxi Man
01-27-2013, 15:30
For some reason ,I feel you may be from a liberal regime ,if that is that is the case, COMRADE, feel FREE to move on ,

MOTHER****ER !!!!

DARKSHADOW
01-27-2013, 16:39
For some reason ,I feel you may be from a liberal regime ,if that is that is the case, COMRADE, feel FREE to move on ,

MOTHER****ER !!!!

Um What??? :dunno:

Irish Stout
01-27-2013, 18:03
Really like my Gen3 G23 I bought in October. Also finding the .40 cal ammo is about the only thing on the shelves here too. Fine by me.

I have been kind of laughing. For how many years have you heard people say buy a 9mm, or I bought a 9mm because ammo is everywhere and will always be available. Ooops, where is the 9mm ammo?

I too had the option of Gen3 or Gen 4 and took the Gen3. I did not find any reason to spend the extra. I liked the grip better too.

tbob38
01-27-2013, 18:24
Nice guns, the G23's. I recently got a lot of 40 cal brass from Powder Valley and after sizing, at least a quarter of them would not chamber in my 23 with a LWD barrel. Used the Redding push through die and all was fine. The sizing die was adjusted properly, by the way.

bobtheelf
01-27-2013, 18:35
Well I stoped by one of my LGS today, and they had Gen3 G23's marked at $549, and the Gen4 G23's marked at $599.

Just out of curiosity, do you think the extra $50 for the Gen4 is worth it? Assuming I can't find a Gen4 at a better price.

I have a Gen3, and I wouldn't trade it for a Gen4, but if I were you I'd pick up a Gen4 if for no other reason than the extra mag it comes with.

gooffeyguy
01-27-2013, 18:41

Yup, I would Think the extra mag and a recoil reducing dual spring guide rod setup Is worth another $50

allegro
01-27-2013, 18:42
I may purchase more handguns, but my G23 will not leave me. My gen 3 has been flawless for many years and rounds. Easy to conceal, high power and capacity. What more can you ask our of a tool that might save your life?

DARKSHADOW
01-28-2013, 21:42
Well I placed a gen 4 G23 on order today for $589. This guy has been good to me on my las 4 gun buys, so he got my buisness. He's always beat other local prices for me without me asking if he could, even if it's only by $10. Besides, he's a fun guy to talk to, and he always ask what he can get for me without the sales pitch of what he has in the case.

I better prep my 9's and 45 for the newcomer. :supergrin:

AR15 guy
01-28-2013, 21:58
The more I shoot my gen 3 23 the more I like it. After shooting 9mms for years, it took me a little while to get used to a compact .40.

Armedleprechaun
01-28-2013, 22:12
I love my Gen4 23. Just carried it the other day.

BBauer927
01-28-2013, 22:43

I just got a g23 gen4 a week ago and I absolutely love it. Shoots incredible. Accuracy is top notch. I've put 200 flawless rounds through it already. Shoots like a dream go ahead and purchase and you will be in love.