Dominate eye shooting stance question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dominate eye shooting stance question

Packinglocks
01-27-2013, 11:43
So I've done a little research on this topic not a whole lot of help or at least that I understand. The way I shoot, right handed but my left eye is dominate so 10 yards down I'm shooting low and left, so I guess my question is should I be trying to change my shooting stance or the way I'm holding my gun or will a simple sight adjustment compensating for my drop and what I'm off left to right fix my problem ?? Thanks for the comments

Bren
01-27-2013, 11:49
Every shooter who has this problem, and several other common shooting problems, thinks it comes from his eyes. There is a whole "unnecessary replacement sight" industry based on it.

You shoot low and left because of your grip, just like most right handed shooters who are milking the grip as they pull the trigger. Both an improved grip and better trigger control will help fix it. To really learn to shoot, get an instructor, but you can see what I mean by googling things like "60/40 grip" and "trigger reset" - both of those help to minimize the milking (sympathetic muscle movement) of your strong hand as you pull the trigger.

Teaching yourself to shoot, just ebcause you own a gun, is no easier, or more likely to work, than teaching yourself to play golf because you own some clubs. You need real instruction to be any good.

LampShadeActual
01-27-2013, 13:16
Low and Left: The screwup for every right handed shooter no matter what the grip.

Low and left comes from humping the web between your right thumb and right trigger finger into the arc of the backstrap just as you pull the trigger. The effect is to push the muzzle low and left just as you pull the trigger and recoil takes it up. This is a nice way to describe a minor flinch.

0) if you use an isosolese triangle stance, eye won't matter. Put your right hand high on the backstrap. Wrap your three fingers. Lock your right thump down onto your middle finger and never let it up. Wrap your left hand around the right with your left thumb over top of your right thumb somewhere. Just like an old double action revolver grip. The Glock will not twist thusly locked in. Nor will it twist if you just use your right hand. The thumb on the middle finger keeps it from rotating.

1) dryfire until you can pull the trigger without the low and left shift of the muzzle. Just watch the front sight as the striker falls. With your description, it will dive low and left.

2) shoot for a 10 shot group center.

3) adjust the rear sight to zero. (as a practical matter, I have rarely, if ever, seen a Glock come from the factory actually zero'd for a real shooter. Almost every right handed shooter needs to move the rear sight slightly to the right. Down is your problem. Hitting to the left is the rear sight's location.)

F106 Fan
01-27-2013, 14:58
So I've done a little research on this topic not a whole lot of help or at least that I understand. The way I shoot, right handed but my left eye is dominate so 10 yards down I'm shooting low and left, so I guess my question is should I be trying to change my shooting stance or the way I'm holding my gun or will a simple sight adjustment compensating for my drop and what I'm off left to right fix my problem ?? Thanks for the comments

For low and left, I'm going to guess grip or flinch. Personally, I tend to think more toward flinch.

Google for Hickok45 Shooting Techniques videos 1 & 2. He is a right handed shooter with left eye dominance.

While you are searching, watch ALL of his videos. He is a great shooter with a TON of experience on all kinds of weapons.

Richard

Packinglocks
01-27-2013, 15:45
10-4....as I suspected shooter error thanks y'all will consider all of these things next time I'm at the range.... preciate the helpful advice and tips

Bren
01-27-2013, 16:03
10-4....as I suspected shooter error thanks y'all will consider all of these things next time I'm at the range.... preciate the helpful advice and tips

Don't go to the range and consider all of these things. Don't try to learn to shoot from Hickock45 videos on youtube. You got varied advice on this thread. Some of it is wrong and you don't know which (I know, because you didn't know enough not to ask for advice on a forum full of newbs with mainly bad advice to give).

If you want to learn to shoot, get real-world training.

Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. Trying to work it out for yourself leads to practicing wrong and forming bad habits.

F106 Fan
01-27-2013, 16:40
And instructor led training is no better if you can't determine whether the instructor actually knows anything.

The whole thing is a crapshoot but at least with Hickok45, he shows that his method works (for him) and his techniques are reasonable, if dated. Yes, it's old school Weaver but it works!

I just can't get in line with Bren's suggestion to find an instructor. That's not to say his suggestion is incorrect, but the world's full of instructors (kind of like SCUBA in that regard, everyone wants to be an instructor), which one is worth a d***? And who says so!

I was lucky enough to be taught by one of the Gunsite instructors who also was also an instructor for Calif DOJ back in the early 80s. The training has served me well, even if it is dated.

Richard

Packinglocks
01-27-2013, 18:27
Thanks Bren but there's no need to bash all of us on MY thread thanks for your advise but please take your negative comments elsewhere and to everybody else thank you for the help I think it has a lot to do with my grip and trigger pull and as we all kno practice makes perfect ill keep working on it no matter what others have to say

guitarded_1
01-27-2013, 19:03
I'm cross eye dominant as well. It's pretty simple, actually. Do everything you are supposed to do - proper grip and stance. However, just cock your head a bit and use your left eye to focus on your front sight. That's what works for me.

ldn0125
01-27-2013, 20:26
I am cross dominate in the same way that you are. I wasn't shooting low and left but was specifically 1 - 1 1/2" to the left of center consistently (with instruction). My sights were drifted for me and I have no issue shooting dead center.

I had one of my guns drifted back to center and I'm now successful in shooting center without the prior compensation. I've been working very hard with keeping both eyes open.

Patchman
01-27-2013, 20:47
Low and left is due to your gripping the gun too tight while pulling the trigger. The motion of your trigger finger movement then further causes you to grip your gun even tighter, causing the gun to point low and left as it discharges.

If you think about it, left eye dominant should be causing you to shoot to the right.

I'm left eye dominant/right handed. Try shooting with your head tilted on your right shoulder. This way, your left eye/right eye are more on a vertical plane than a horizontal plane.

Oh yes, always shoot with both eyes open.

Tiro Fijo
01-27-2013, 22:03
Thanks Bren but there's no need to bash all of us on MY thread thanks for your advise but please take your negative comments elsewhere and to everybody else thank you for the help I think it has a lot to do with my grip and trigger pull and as we all kno practice makes perfect ill keep working on it no matter what others have to say

And you'll keep screwing up because you weren't smart enough to know the answer to the most basic question of handgun fundamentals. :upeyes:

Bren's dead to rights here: you ain't gonna get to Carnegie Hall by merely playing your Steinway every day, Chief. Get some training IN PERSON from someone qualified or enjoy being snickered at at the range. :wavey:

Bren
01-28-2013, 06:15

I'd hate to interfere with the newbs trying to teach each other to shoot wrong.:upeyes:

Packinglocks
01-28-2013, 08:42
Welp we're all not born pro we all have to start some where and not sure where I was asking the wrong questions I thought I got some descent feed back and helpful hints and got some answers to my problem. Now I understand having someone to teach me would be great but that also requires additional funds and money which unfortunately for me doesn't grow on trees. So on that note ill make sure to never ask another question on this forum seeing that all it's for is to tell people they are no good and are not welcome and the only answer is to get a teacher!! Ill kkep that in mind. Thank you to everyone whom helped and gave me some good positive feedback, not just tell me how stupid I am and have no clue what I'm doing with my gun.