New (to me) G23... Grip issue... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) G23... Grip issue...

AlaJack
01-27-2013, 14:25
Hi everyone. New Glock 23 (gen 3) owner here.. I've shot other handguns before but this is actually the first handgun I've ever owned. I want badly to like this Glock but after just having shot it I don't know if it's right for me. But before I rush out to trade it in on a new piece I'd like to see if you guys can offer some tips or products to remedy the problem. It's a tough one to articulate but I'll do my best so here goes...

I have long, skinny hands/fingers. Big, but skinny... I'm a slender 6'4" to give you an idea... Large palms and fingers (but slender). So here's my dilemma: In grasping a high and tight grip near the bore axis the middle-to-low portion of my palm forms a "cup" of space from approximately the middle finger and down to the ring finger portion of my palm. So it's tight up top in the thumb web but then loses any semblance of contact on the weapon in my palm in the area parallel just around the palm portion of my middle finger. Then when I'm pulling the trigger, I can feel that cup of space wanting to fill throughout the pull, and naturally see the sight picture canting usually down and to the right. The only compromise is to lessen the tight top grip and have more palm in contact to maintain control, but then the gun snaps too hard upon firing and I lose all consistency in my grip and have to re-adjust after every shot. My pinky hangs off the bottom, which is no big deal, but that space parallel from my middle finger in the palm is an absolute buzz kill.

I wouldn't think this is something I should just have to live with, given I've handled other weapons and notice that area of space being filled and form fitted. So what if anything can I get to remedy the issue?

Thanks in advance...

SARDG
01-27-2013, 14:31
Hi everyone. New Glock 23 (gen 3) owner here.. I've shot other handguns before but this is actually the first handgun I've ever owned. I want badly to like this Glock but after just having shot it I don't know if it's right for me. But before I rush out to trade it in on a new piece I'd like to see if you guys can offer some tips or products to remedy the problem. It's a tough one to articulate but I'll do my best so here goes...
Perhaps the bigger backstrap of a Gen4 would help. In hindsight... it's always best to shoot a gun (or one like it) before purchase - or grip and dryfire perhaps.

AlaJack
01-27-2013, 14:38
Perhaps the bigger backstrap of a Gen4 would help. In hindsight... it's always best to shoot a gun (or one like it) before purchase - or grip and dryfire perhaps.

You're right about driving before buying. I did dryfire the weapon numerous times and actually suspected it my be a problem. When I went to the range I learned it was indeed a huge problem. My goal is to have a CCW and I really like the size of the G23 but it's of no value if I can't shoot it well, consistently. I handled a Sig Sauer MK25 which is just slightly larger than the G23 but still very concealable, but the grip is much more form fitting to me. I was just wondering if there's some after-market products out there to "fill the void"... Thanks

SARDG
01-27-2013, 14:41
...I was just wondering if there's some after-market products out there to "fill the void"... Thanks
I'm not an aftermarket type of person except for one lonely racegun, but someone here will have suggestions.

emtjr928
01-27-2013, 15:01
I'm not an aftermarket type of person except for one lonely racegun, but someone here will have suggestions.

Don't have a link handy but I believe the Pacmyer (sp) grip sleeves have a palm swell which may help

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

smitret
01-27-2013, 18:35
Don't have a link handy but I believe the Pacmyer (sp) grip sleeves have a palm swell which may help

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

I believe emtjr928 gave you an excellent option.

Pachmyer's latest slip on is a little thicker and has small perforations.

It makes the grip a little thicker right where you need it.

Good Luck

Scrappy
01-27-2013, 20:02
Try this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pachmayr-05174-Tactical-Grip-Glove-Glock-19-23-25-32-/360563271667?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f33ee7f3

AlaJack
01-27-2013, 20:14
Thanks for the suggestions. Has anyone had any experience with the Grip Force Adapters? It looks like it's exactly what I need in that it extends the upper grip portion near the bore axis and so it should naturally back the whole palm a little in order to have firm bone support in the palm.