glock34 accuracy [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : glock34 accuracy

silverfd
01-28-2013, 00:32
has anyone put a glock34 into a ransom rest and shot it multiple times at 25 yards or other distances to see how big the grouping is at that distance is? Post pics please if you have any. thank you.

Butch
01-28-2013, 01:45
You realize that even if someone has, whatever results they got aren't likely going to be the same with any number of other G34's.....right?

Are you considering getting a G34? If so, what is it's intended use?

I generally tend to believe that a G17 will do a great job for nearly everything one might do with a Glock, especially if the shooter is relatively new to Glocks and/or shooting.

Bruce M
01-28-2013, 07:48
I have said once or three times here that a very fun project would be to take multiples of a specific model of gun and put them into a Ransom rest and get an average accuracy. I also think that a medium sized island in the South Pacific named Bruce would be good also. But then I got into my nine year old sedan and drove through one the the poorest urban areas in the nation to the sixty year old building for work and hurtled forcibly back to reality.

silverfd
01-28-2013, 08:07
I was considering a g34 in the near future.

So no one has any clue on what type of average grouping a g34 would have at 10yards? 15 yards? 25 yards? (2inch group? 5 inch? 12inch?) I'd be using it for simple target shooting and figured this would be the place to ask. I know most people will say it will out shoot you/your ability but I'd like to find out if anyone had any real world experience/proof on what this gun can do. I see a lot of videos on youtube showing the gun off which is nice but not very many targets and of those, I have no idea how good those shooters are shooting non-supported and most of the time fairly quickly.

Thanks

DocWills
01-28-2013, 08:26
Unless you know why you need it a 17 will be fine. The 34 offers faster accuracy thats equal to a 17. Most glocks, with good ammo and a good shooter will group 4 inches or less at 25 yards. About the same as anything else.

All my glocks will hit a playing card about half the time at 25 if I am on that day. I normally shoot for practice on 8 inch paper plates because if you can hit an 8inch circle with any gun at the distance you need to shoot youll be fine,

Ransom rests are cute but are based on the grip fitting in a cut out thats the same as the grips on a given gun. Most polymer autos would not take that. Im sure its doable but defeats the ransom although they offer inserts.

AR15 guy
01-28-2013, 08:39
I have never used a rest, but I can assure you the g34, or a g17 will shoot pretty darn accurately at 25 yards. The 34 is an awesome gun, but if your not using it to shoot competition the 17 may serve you better. It will be a little easier to conceal as well.

JBP55
01-28-2013, 08:43
All new Glocks should shoot sub 2" groups rested at 25 yards using quality ammunition.
That has very little bearing when most are using the cheapest ammunition available and not shooting from a rest.

The only 2 I ever had someone shoot from a rest was a Gen 3 G34 which shot a 5 shot group of 1.81 with 124+P HST and a Gen 4 G17 which shot a 1.18 group with the same ammunition. Five groups were shot with each pistol using different ammunition each time and the 124+P HST performed best. That was 2 years ago and I do not have the targets.

sciolist
01-28-2013, 14:46
I was printing sights yesterday and shot a 2-inch 20 yard group of 8 rounds from rest. Nothing scientific - just leaning on a tire on top of a 55 gallon drum.

My off-hand groups at 20 yards are usually about 3 or 3.5 inches. I don't have a lot of experience with other pistols. Have shot a CZ, XDm, M&P, and a few 1911's. The 34 is certainly as good as the others. It's good enough for me. You can dump a mag in the A Zone at 30 yards at a reasonable rate.

I do think it’s easier to pull shots with the Glock. You have to be honest with yourself about seeing the sights lift each time. The low mass is challenging to stabilize, but easier to transition – and I really like Glock’s ergonomics.

Sure would be cool to have a more robust frame.

BMiracletx
01-28-2013, 15:24
With my Gen3 34, I can hold 1- 1 1/2 inch groups HANDHELD at 10 yards with my handloads.

So I would say that sub-2 inch groups at 25 should be easily obtainable with quality ammo from a ransom rest.

Tom D
01-28-2013, 17:24
I'm a new Glock shooter and went with a gen3-34 to shoot lead. Nice tight lock up with the KKM barrel.

To start off I tryed some Fed 115gr JHP off a rest. I shot 1.18 five shot group at 10yds and that pretty cheap ammo.

126gr LSWC, Im averaging < 2" groups at 10yds.

At 25yds I have groups less than 4" closer to 3", in between, but I have not found a load yet. It will do better.

Im not sure of the advantage of a 17. I don't plan to carry mine so that isnt an issue. The trigger and the sights suck but that's an easy fix.

JBP55
01-28-2013, 17:52
Tom D,
Reads like a short novel. :yawn:

Tom D
01-28-2013, 20:17
Tom D,

Your sure right there. It put me to sleep maybe I improved it a little

silverfd
01-28-2013, 20:40
thanks for the info guys. I do like the longer sight radius of the g34 compared to the others and if they made a g17L 4th gen or if I could even find a g17L I'd op for that.

I would only use it for the range and not concealed as I live in a state where its impossible to get a ccw/chl (they have never issued one before to a civilian so its pretty much a no issue state) so I don't care about lenght or size, I care more about how accurate it is.

On another note. I did read somewhere that the stock glock barrels are pretty much the most accurate out there. Is this this true? I heard the KKM would be runner up or possible even a bit more accurate but that the rest were just plain junk and/or a waste of time unless you wanted a threaded barrel (another felony I don't need in my state.).

silverfd
01-28-2013, 20:40
Tom D,

its exactly what I was looking for though. some honest real world experience.

thanks tom

bigtimelarry
01-28-2013, 20:52
KKM Barrel if your shooting lead otherwise the Stock Barrel is probably more accurate.

Tom D
01-28-2013, 21:09
The KKM barrel locks up tighter than the Glock and no chambering issues. It's a perfect fit, its noticeable as soon as you drop it in. I can't say its more accurate than the Glock barrel, numbers will tell. The price is right.

I slugged both the Glock barrel (.3568/.3569) and the the KKM at (.3550/.3551). Lyman and the industry specs a 9MM Luger at .3540 to .356 the KKM is at low limit. the Glock is a little larger.

Ive been shooting .357 dia lead and am dropping to .355 to see how it acts. I like the KKM barrel hands down nice polish on the ramp good transition to the chamber. I made a chamber pour but don't have the numbers in front of me but I recall the KKM is .0010 smaller.

The longer sight radius really makes it an easy to point gun.

The Gen 3 grip is too short for my hand I'd go for the Gen 4 with inserts if you have a large hand.

Black&TAN
01-28-2013, 21:22
KKM Barrel if your shooting lead otherwise the Stock Barrel is probably more accurate.
That's my experience, OEM barrel is a bit more accurate with plated bullets.

I own a few of their Glock barrels, KKM makes a great product. Their barrels are also a little easier on brass, if you happen to reload.

sent via Tapatalk

ithaca_deerslayer
01-28-2013, 21:45
My stock 17 will shoot 2" groups at 25 yards when I sit at the bench and rest on a sandbag. Standing, unsupported, I tend to shoot 4" groups, although I occassionally get 2.5" offhand like that. My friend's 34 that I've shot seems just as accurate, and even a tad better with quicker shots from distance.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7047/6933659797_a08309899a_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7114/7032713461_7a16ce908e_b.jpg

Seems to work well at 50 yards, too.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6110/7024914629_b7562b1c62_b.jpg

Tom D
01-28-2013, 22:32
The Glock barrel may prove more accurate with the jacketed or plated bullets considering the difference in the slugged size between the two/

If you don't reload the Glock barrel might be good to stick with if they slug consistently near .357 diameter.

I dont have any data for the KKM other than the lead.

bigtimelarry
01-28-2013, 22:39
The KKM has a slow twist, 115 Gr. seems to be the most accurate with them.

JBP55
01-29-2013, 02:36
I'm a new Glock shooter and went with a gen3-34 to shoot lead. Nice tight lock up with the KKM barrel.

To start off I tryed some Fed 115gr JHP off a rest. I shot 1.18 five shot group at 10yds and that pretty cheap ammo.

126gr LSWC, Im averaging < 2" groups at 10yds.

At 25yds I have groups less than 4" closer to 3", in between, but I have not found a load yet. It will do better.

Im not sure of the advantage of a 17. I don't plan to carry mine so that isnt an issue. The trigger and the sights suck but that's an easy fix.

Good post, much better. :cool:

Gallium
01-29-2013, 02:55
15-17 yards - 2" group unsupported, all day, every day.

ss30378
01-30-2013, 14:17
Silverfd (nice car btw if you're talking rx7) I have the 17L and a 24 and when it comes to grouping at distance (25 yards and further) in a rest consistency is key. I've heard glocks don't do well in ransoms due to frame flexing, but I don't know how true it is.

As the poster above pointed out, after market barrels usually have tighter more consistent lockup which can help, especially at longer distances. My 17L has a habit of putting 2 or three rounds nice and tight then a flyer opens the group up. I will be having the local welding shop add material to the stock barrels where the barrel contacts the locking block and ill fit it myself. My 24 is impressively tight so ill only add about .010 but the 17L will have .025 added. This will remove all slop in the frame/slide and barrel assembly. The 9mm will make a nice 1 inch 30 yard group with 3 shots then a flyer will add 2-3 more inches to it, with all loads while the tight 24 doesn't so i'm taking inconsistent lockup out of the equation.

Finally load development. Each gun has its own preference. Im a handloader and toy with different powder and bullet combos. I can usually make a good load for all bullet weights but oddly enough one of my 9mm's favorite loads is a .357" 125 grain hp bullet designed for the 357 mag under a heavy load of power pistol. So try some out of the norm combos and you may be surprised.

bigtimelarry
01-30-2013, 14:25
Silverfd (nice car btw if you're talking rx7) I have the 17L and a 24 and when it comes to grouping at distance (25 yards and further) in a rest consistency is key. I've heard glocks don't do well in ransoms due to frame flexing, but I don't know how true it is.

As the poster above pointed out, after market barrels usually have tighter more consistent lockup which can help, especially at longer distances. My 17L has a habit of putting 2 or three rounds nice and tight then a flyer opens the group up. I will be having the local welding shop add material to the stock barrels where the barrel contacts the locking block and ill fit it myself. My 24 is impressively tight so ill only add about .010 but the 17L will have .025 added. This will remove all slop in the frame/slide and barrel assembly. The 9mm will make a nice 1 inch 30 yard group with 3 shots then a flyer will add 2-3 more inches to it, with all loads while the tight 24 doesn't so i'm taking inconsistent lockup out of the equation.

Finally load development. Each gun has its own preference. Im a handloader and toy with different powder and bullet combos. I can usually make a good load for all bullet weights but oddly enough one of my 9mm's favorite loads is a .357" 125 grain hp bullet designed for the 357 mag under a heavy load of power pistol. So try some out of the norm combos and you may be surprised.

Exactly !!!

It all depends on what your shooting, competition, fun and leisure. A fitted KKM will be a little more accurate but not that much and then you have the risk of FTF etc. A lot of competition shooters will take a stock barrel with 3" groups at 25 yards that will run over a gun with a fitted KKM with a 2" group but will have a FTF or FTE once every 300 rounds that could cost them a match..

High Altitude
01-30-2013, 16:12
Absolute accuracy depends a lot on the barrel fit to the slide/frame, but that doesn't mean you will shoot that particular pistol more accurately.

I have a gen4 19 with a very tightly fit barrel from Glock and it is more accurate than my gen4 34 when shooting off a rest, but talking practical accuracy, shooting off hand, I shoot the 34 better because of the longer sight radius.

Tom D
01-30-2013, 16:47
What causes the risk of FTF and FTC to get greater with a after market barrel over the Glock? How does that engineer?

bigtimelarry
01-30-2013, 17:07
What causes the risk of FTF and FTC to get greater with a after market barrel over the Glock? How does that engineer?

A Drop in isn't really a problem, but when you get have a fitted barrel the guy fitting it better know what he's doing..
You start tightening up those tolerances and your risk goes up too, not saying you'll have a lot of problems but for competition why risk it..

Maybe the Bianchi Cup you might want it but for uspsa & steel challenge you dont need it.
BJ Norris & Vogel run stock barrels in their G34's so that's good enough for me. Unless you shoot lead, yeah get a KKM.

silverfd
01-30-2013, 20:03

Yep my sig is from my car, RX7's are my other toys after my guns. Either way, when you talk about adding metal/material to the gun/barrel, is it sorta like what the O-rings do for HK guns?

Its intresting that you talk about the frame flex in a ransom rest, I never even though about that before.

silverfd
01-30-2013, 20:07
Exactly !!!

It all depends on what your shooting, competition, fun and leisure. A fitted KKM will be a little more accurate but not that much and then you have the risk of FTF etc. A lot of competition shooters will take a stock barrel with 3" groups at 25 yards that will run over a gun with a fitted KKM with a 2" group but will have a FTF or FTE once every 300 rounds that could cost them a match..

so you wouldn't recommend an aftermarket barrel for a self defense pistol or is it just a fitted barrel and not a drop in barrel? I'd just be shooting for fun and for accuracy myself but would probally also use it for a bed side gun. I'm currently live in 2 different states and was looking for a gun for where I currently reside. Many of my guns (yeah handguns) in the other state I live in are prohibited here so I figure I'd just buy one for this state and use it for my bedside/target pratice gun.

bigtimelarry
01-30-2013, 20:11
so you wouldn't recommend an aftermarket barrel for a self defense pistol or is it just a fitted barrel and not a drop in barrel? I'd just be shooting for fun and for accuracy myself but would probally also use it for a bed side gun. I'm currently live in 2 different states and was looking for a gun for where I currently reside. Many of my guns (yeah handguns) in the other state I live in are prohibited here so I figure I'd just buy one for this state and use it for my bedside/target pratice gun.

Nope. The stock barrel is perfect. Use the money for some good sights and put the minus connector in and since it's your SD gun a good idea would be to put the Wolff +10% magazine springs in too.

ss30378
01-30-2013, 22:08
Yep my sig is from my car, RX7's are my other toys after my guns. Either way, when you talk about adding metal/material to the gun/barrel, is it sorta like what the O-rings do for HK guns?

Its intresting that you talk about the frame flex in a ransom rest, I never even though about that before.

I'm talking about TIG welding material to the bottom of the barrel where it comes in contact with the locking block. When your gun is in full battery press down on top of the chamber and you will notice it moves down. My 17l has lots of movement there while my 24 doesn't. Getting rid of the movement will mean more consistent lockup and ultimately better groups. If i go too tight reliability may suffer as pointed out so it will be trial and error to get it just right.

As high altitude said absolute accuracy is much different than practical accuracy. I may have a 1 inch gun but if im a 5 inch shooter i now have 6 inch groups.

Aftermarket barrels are finicky due to very tight chambers while oem glock barrels are considered loose to feed everything. My guns are range guns so a ftf's aren't a big concern. If i were to use it for SD or competition reliability is key.