Glock 27 conversion to 9mm (etc) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 27 conversion to 9mm (etc)

Phases
01-28-2013, 07:15
Hey all. First, hope this is the right forum. I was debating this vs a couple others. Please move if needed..

Alright, so we have a 27 that we got to shoot yesterday, along side our 30. The .45 feels much better to shoot for both of us. I believe this is because the low pressure round has more of a push than a kick or flip. This is how it was explained to us anyway, and it made sense. I don't mind the kick, but I do feel it and so I understand why she doesn't like it, and I want the 27 to be comfortable for her to shoot.

I got the 27 instead of the 26 with the idea that if we didn't like the kick we could convert down to 9mm, and still be able to use the .40 or .357 if we wanted. Plus the 27 was actually available to me, so it worked out. :)

Now. I've consulted Google and YouTube and I've been convinced, unless you guys have something else to say (though half of what I found was here), that it should be reliable and safe to swap the barrel and mag only. Permanently, potentially. I see some say they wouldn't rely on it, but they're the same people saying they've shot x thousand rounds and not had any problems. That's a bit confusing..

So anyway, I also believe LW and SL are close enough quality for the LW to be the buy, being how it's 60 bucks cheaper. Input? Feel free. I guess there are a couple other more expensive brands, too. With a slightly more polished look/feel...KKM, Barsto?

But my main question is - do I just use 26 magazines? And, will they fit flush as if they were built for the gun? I believe they are the exact same frame, right?

And, while I gotcha here.. are there any other conversions for the 27 I can do, in the lower pressure realm? I'm still learning about calibers - but I think .357, 9mm, and .22 is all there is.

(Also, I wish I'd taken note of what we shot exactly, I'm sure there are lower pressure .40 rounds we could try)

Just wanted to get your takes before placing any orders.

p.s. The .45 is awesome. Love the G30!

ChicagoZman
01-28-2013, 10:36
Conversion barrel and magazines are all you'll need for range use as I have done int he past with my 24 and 22. If reliability is less than desired with the above, you can also swap ejector, extractor and spring loaded bearing, although this may not be necessary in your gun.

With the current price of magazines, you may be better off trading for a 26.

Phases
01-28-2013, 10:40
Oh? I'd not yet looked at the cost of magazines. I guess (silly me) I assumed they'd be kinda inexpensive. :O

AR15 guy
01-28-2013, 10:43
Glock magazines are starting to trickle back in stock at places like MidwayUSA, who do not charge ridiculous prices. You would only need a couple, which would set you back about $50.

I plan on converting my g23 to 9mm, but I am sitting on a stack of 9mm glock mags already.

John_NJ
01-28-2013, 10:43
If you want to shoot 357 sig all you need is a G33 barrel and you are good to go. Everything else is identical to 40 S&W.

For 9mm you need conversion barrel, mags, and I do recommend changing the ejector, extractor and spring.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Phases
01-28-2013, 10:50
But .357 wouldn't be as far a recoil/kick reduction as a 9mm, right? Still learning here. :)

Also, G26 mags would fit flush with the 27, as if made for it?

Guess I could consider a trade.. Thought I wouldn't mind keeping the .40 capability.

AR15 guy
01-28-2013, 12:22
I tried to trade a 27 I had for a 26, but never found one. I ended up getting a 23 out of the 27. It still has a good bit of recoil, but it's definitely better than the 27.

arushus
01-28-2013, 14:32
I had to change the extractor on my g27 to a 9mm extractor for it to be reliable. I really dont think a new ejector is necessary at all though. With the new extractor my 27 is reliable with both .40cal and 9mm...

todd_g
01-28-2013, 17:04
I have a G27 and a G23 that I share a lone wolf 40-9 conversion with, not a malfunction one. I also trust 100% the use of this barrel in my glocks for ccw. I also have fired a few thousand rounds in each gun. My 40 mags also work fine cycling 9mm's, but for ccw I would use the G26 or G19 mags.

barth
01-28-2013, 17:04
I've got a gen 3 G27.
With Storm Lake 40-9mm barrel and G26 mags.
Have ~2000 rounds, with about %50 being hollow points,
and zero failures of any kind.

Full Disclosure:
I only run quality full power 124/127 gr ammo.
Almost all +P/+P+ or NATO.

Using a Storm Lake G27-357 barrel and G33 mags the song remains the same.

2-8 Marine
01-28-2013, 17:25
But .357 wouldn't be as far a recoil/kick reduction as a 9mm, right? Still learning here. :)

Also, G26 mags would fit flush with the 27, as if made for it?

Guess I could consider a trade.. Thought I wouldn't mind keeping the .40 capability.

I have a g27 and a g26 . . . I use LW conversion barrels to shoot 9mm and 357 sig through my g27. If I shoot 9mm I have to use my g26 mags. If I shoot 357 sig I have to use my g27 mags. All fit perfectly. Yes, 357 will increase recoil, flip, snap whatever.

Bluescot
01-28-2013, 17:49
I would stay away from Lone Wolf in their barrels.

There is a long long thread about the problems they pose and their reluctance to remedy anything deemed wrong with them.

If you have a problem with a Lone Wolf barrel they will tell you it's your fault and for $$$$ they will fix it.

I had two barrels from them G27 and G30 and neither would function close to reliable. Sent them back and 109 days later got them back. Problem remained but was improved. Would never trust them so I bought two KKM barrels. Problem solved.

Phases
01-28-2013, 17:57
Thanks all for feedback. Bluescot, had I seen yours in time I may have spent the extra for the SL. :\ I've not seen the thread you mentioned. I spent a lot of time today looking all over and didn't see anything bad about any of them. How did I miss it..

So anyway, hopefully all works well for me. I ordered the LW today and grabbed a G26 mag from my dealer. Appreciate all the feedback everyone, here's to hoping I'm one of the success stories!

AR15 guy
01-28-2013, 18:30
On midway the LW gets better reviews than storm lake...

I may try to find a Kkm used somewhere.

Bluescot
01-28-2013, 19:34
Sorry that I didn't point it out to you. It went for over 500 posts before it was locked; Lone Wolf is a advertiser on Glock Talk so........

Anyway here is the link to that thread in case you need any background with dealing with the Customer service. Good luck you many need it.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1414663

Phases
01-28-2013, 21:29
Sorry that I didn't point it out to you. It went for over 500 posts before it was locked; Lone Wolf is a advertiser on Glock Talk so........

Anyway here is the link to that thread in case you need any background with dealing with the Customer service. Good luck you many need it.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1414663

Will check it out, hopefully don't need it. Good lookin' out, thanks!