Firing Pin Movement with Chambered Round? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Firing Pin Movement with Chambered Round?

SubieGuy4
01-28-2013, 12:10
I'm relatively new to owning a Glock. I have a Gen 4 G19.

I'm now comfortable completely disassembling the slide and receiver and encountered something after disassembling the slide for the first time.

With the gun racked (with or without a round in the chamber), you can hear a very small amount of movement from the firing pin if you shake the gun back and forth. It's clearly nowhere near the amount of movement as when the trigger has been pulled (the firing pin safety is working), but should it be moving at all?

I don't recall if I did or did not hear this prior to a full disassembly and I'm just wanting to make sure this is normal.

JBP55
01-28-2013, 12:28
Perfectly normal, quit playing with it and shoot it.

Butch
01-28-2013, 13:07
Perfectly normal, quit playing with it and shoot it.
And it's not the firing pin....it's the slide and/or the trigger.

But yeah, don't worry....go shoot!

kaech
01-28-2013, 13:42
^ what he said:thumbup:

CynicX
01-28-2013, 17:35
And it's not the firing pin....it's the slide and/or the trigger.

But yeah, don't worry....go shoot!

It's the firing pin. You can hear it slightly normally. Pull the slide a hold in the firing pin safety, shake in an inappropriate motion and you can hear it very well due to more movement obviously. You won't hear it if the firing pin safety is rest on the pin due to tension, pull the firing pin back slightly to relieve the tension (pull the pin from under the safety).

Completely normal OP if you can't hear it the pull the pin and clean it. Not suppose to oil this either how I wipe it with an oily rag.

Edit. Thinking about this more. You probably won't hear that firing pin rattle on a Glock that's racked regardless of round being chambers or not.

SubieGuy4
01-28-2013, 18:38
Fear not, all. I put 1250 rounds through it before learning how to strip it all the way down. I put 300-400 rounds through it any time I can afford to. The only reason it doesn't have more rounds through it already is the rising price and scarcity of ammo.

It's definitely the firing pin that I was referring to, and I am familiar with depressing the firing pin safety and shaking to check for function. It was happening with the firing pin properly set behind the safety.

I did a full strip and reassembly again and it didn't rattle afterward. Not sure what the story was. (I so know not to get any oil in the firing pin channel).

Thanks for the response, all.