Glock 23 Accuracy [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 23 Accuracy

WVShooer
01-28-2013, 14:40
I've read these forums for a few years now, but this is my first post. I have a Glock 23 Gen 4 and love everything about it. I went to the range with a friend last week and shot his Kimber 1911. I was much more accurate with his gun than my own. Will practice make me more proficient with my Glock, or will the 1911 always shoot more accurate?

Markel
01-28-2013, 14:48
I shoot both frequently and I believe the 1911 is more accurate "in hand" vs being intrinsically more accurate. Both, in a machine rest, would likely be comparable, at least at self defense distances. But the heavier steel frame, better trigger, and overall ergonomics of the 1911 make it easier to shoot.

Having said that one can, with practice, shoot as well with a Glock. It just takes longer to get there.

SouthernBoyVA
01-28-2013, 14:49
Practice, good trigger discipline, and a lot of dry firing in between range time. If you have the standard Glock sights, you might want to research some after market alternatives. But don't give up. The Glock can be quite an accurate pistol in experienced hands.

WVShooer
01-28-2013, 14:54
I bought my Glock new in February 2011. In March of the same year I got Warren Night sights installed. The total cost of the sights plus install was $145. I'm not "bad" with the Glock, but I was noticeably better with the 1911. I know the Glock is a great handgun and reliability has never been an issue. I don't plan to sell or trade it, I was just curious how long it really takes to become more proficient.

Bren
01-28-2013, 15:00
I've read these forums for a few years now, but this is my first post. I have a Glock 23 Gen 4 and love everything about it. I went to the range with a friend last week and shot his Kimber 1911. I was much more accurate with his gun than my own. Will practice make me more proficient with my Glock, or will the 1911 always shoot more accurate?

Practice will help a little, but learning to shoot, then practicing the correct technique will help a lot. My guess, from the post, is that you have no training - the 1911 is a heavy gun with a very short, light trigger that always shoots single action - it is the most forgiving of bad technique of just about any semi-auto. The Glock is entirely different and requires a different trigger control technique to minimize movement off target as you squeeze the trigger. Just shooting more won't help much unless you learn and use a valid technique when you practice. There is more than 1 way to do it, but you aren't likely to get it right without a real instructor to teach you.

Again, I'm giving advice in General Glocking, before I looked at which forum this thread was in, so be prepared for a lot of BS from newbs who will tell you to learn from youtube, like a real mall ninja.

Markel
01-28-2013, 15:03
I was just curious how long it really takes to become more proficient.

One key issue for me was learning how to shoot a Glock from the trigger reset position. It takes lots if practice, but it will get you a lot closer to the results you get from a 1911's single action trigger.

CynicX
01-28-2013, 17:16
Next time you go shooting only focus on trigger control. Straight back with the pad of your finger. Focus as hard as you can. You'll immediately notice you'll group tighter, all you can do from there is practice until its second nature.

If all you do is go shoot the gun you will never ever get better. All you'll be doing is practicing how not to shoot.

I started on a 1911 then got a G17...I was ok with good trigger control practice I got pretty good. Then I got a G32 with a 23 barrel. I was terrrriiibbbblllee. It took me a long time to even come close to shooting it as well as my 1911's. Once you master a Glock trigger (if that's possible) you'll shoot every firearm better.

kaech
01-28-2013, 17:35
Practice will help a little, but learning to shoot, then practicing the correct technique will help a lot. My guess, from the post, is that you have no training - the 1911 is a heavy gun with a very short, light trigger that always shoots single action - it is the most forgiving of bad technique of just about any semi-auto. The Glock is entirely different and requires a different trigger control technique to minimize movement off target as you squeeze the trigger. Just shooting more won't help much unless you learn and use a valid technique when you practice. There is more than 1 way to do it, but you aren't likely to get it right without a real instructor to teach you.

Again, I'm giving advice in General Glocking, before I looked at which forum this thread was in, so be prepared for a lot of BS from newbs who will tell you to learn from youtube, like a real mall ninja.

^^ QFT......Quoted for truth

bac1023
01-28-2013, 18:14
I shoot much better with a 1911, especially some of my better models.

pmer
01-28-2013, 18:39

Yep, your comparing single action to striker fired. Have you tried any of the back straps yet. I tried some dry firing with and without the backstraps and the long strap seemed the best for me. Went out to try it and my groups were much better.

The long strap on a G19 adds about a .100'' length compared to a gen 3 G26.

chemboy
01-28-2013, 20:10
One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is that the 40 SW is not the most accurate of service pistol calibers-in fact, it has the reputation for being the least accurate. If you want to compare apples to apples, try a G21 or 30 vs your buddies 1911.

SDGlock23
01-28-2013, 20:31
I don't think it has anything to do with the .40 itself. The recoil characteristic of the .40 might throw people off that aren't used to it, but I shoot my .40 cal Glocks the same as my .45 Glock, the only difference in accuracy being how I'm shooting that particular day. Some of the tightest groups I've ever shot were with a .40.

To the OP, I would suggest learning to shoot from trigger reset. Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire like crazy. Come straight back on the trigger but don't use too much finger nor too little, use just the right amount. During dry firing while aiming get to where the sights don't budge when the trigger breaks. Shooting from trigger reset is going to help give it a more single action feel.

BMiracletx
01-29-2013, 13:50
I don't think it has anything to do with the .40 itself. The recoil characteristic of the .40 might throw people off that aren't used to it, but I shoot my .40 cal Glocks the same as my .45 Glock, the only difference in accuracy being how I'm shooting that particular day. Some of the tightest groups I've ever shot were with a .40.'

Agreed... I have more accurate guns, but I would put my G35 wup against most 1911's... I have shot some crazy small groups with my G35... and my G22 for that matter.

Scrappy
01-29-2013, 13:56
Kinda comparing apples to oranges.
If it were a Glock in 45 version you would have a much better chance, as they are much more accurate!

SouthernBoyVA
01-29-2013, 17:40
I bought my Glock new in February 2011. In March of the same year I got Warren Night sights installed. The total cost of the sights plus install was $145. I'm not "bad" with the Glock, but I was noticeably better with the 1911. I know the Glock is a great handgun and reliability has never been an issue. I don't plan to sell or trade it, I was just curious how long it really takes to become more proficient.

I have modified all but one of my Glocks and my primary carry gun is one of my gen3 G23's. The trigger work I have done plus the sights I have on this gun make if quite accurate in my hands. Like any gun, Glock has its unique side and getting use to it is the big hurtle to overcome. Stick with it and both you and your gun will come around.

pizza_pablo
01-29-2013, 21:07
A Kimber is what you show your friends.
A Glock is what you show your enemies. :supergrin:

Meanie5470
01-29-2013, 21:12
I shoot better with a 1911. That being said if I had only one gun to live with for the rest of my life it would still be be a Glock. All I hear in that first post is a reason to buy another gun!

bobtheelf
01-29-2013, 21:16
Posted this in another thread - 10 shots at about 10 yards. I guess I could be more accurate with another gun, but I don't have a lot of experience with other guns, and none with a 1911 recently. I think it's OK though.

bennie1986
01-29-2013, 21:35
Im new to glocks and have only taken my gen 3 23 out once so far. I can shoot my glock way better than my 1911's.

SouthernBoyVA
01-30-2013, 06:29
Im new to glocks and have only taken my gen 3 23 out once so far. I can shoot my glock way better than my 1911's.

You see, you just spoke a sacrilege. A Glock shooting better than a 1911.

/sarcasm off

Seriously, you just proved a universal truth. What works best for YOU is what matters, not what others say or claim is best.

Bill Lumberg
01-30-2013, 08:14
Your 1911 doesn't "shoot more accurate", nor does it shoot less accurate. Both guns are more accurate than you are. Glocks are lighter, and as such, are less tolerant of shooter error than the average 1911. That said, practice (with proper instruction) will give you all the skill you need. Good luck. I've read these forums for a few years now, but this is my first post. I have a Glock 23 Gen 4 and love everything about it. I went to the range with a friend last week and shot his Kimber 1911. I was much more accurate with his gun than my own. Will practice make me more proficient with my Glock, or will the 1911 always shoot more accurate?

New23
01-31-2013, 22:43
My first experience shooting pistols was in a class more than 10 years ago. We got to shoot several different types. One type was a 1911 Colt .45 owned by the instructor who was also a gunsmith. I shot the Glock (G17) better than any of the others including the instructor/gunsmith's 1911.

BasherXt
02-02-2013, 05:15
Both my 23 and 1911 are accurate.
I'm more accurate with my 19 and 23 (approx 2500 rounds down range between the two) and trigger for both works the same.
The 1911, only about 150 rounds down range

I'm just more use to the 19 and 23's trigger and I shoot them more so my groups are tighter. I'm sure the same will be said once I have more rounds down range with the 1911.

Hawker Man
02-02-2013, 06:45
One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is that the 40 SW is not the most accurate of service pistol calibers-in fact, it has the reputation for being the least accurate. If you want to compare apples to apples, try a G21 or 30 vs your buddies 1911.

Yea, the 40 S&W just will not shoot accurately!!!!!http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq238/HawkermanZ/Target1-1.jpg
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq238/HawkermanZ/photo1.jpg

UtahBassKicker
02-02-2013, 17:35
I wish I could shoot like you Hawker. My 10 yard group is about 5 inches. Practice, practice, practice I guess.

MajorD
02-02-2013, 18:12
There is simply no comparison between a stock glock and a fitted 1911 it is an apples to oranges comparison. I can shoot a glock pretty well 4 inch or less groups at speed at 25 yards with my glock, but with a tuned 1911 can cut that by half and especially when you extend the range to say 50 yards the difference between a tuned 1911 and a glock is extreme. I can hold under 5 inch groups at 50 with a 1911 or revolver but can barely do 10 inches with a glock.
I still do carry a glock often and have complete confidence in it getting the job done given the extreme close ranges at which a ccw fight would occur.
They are different guns for different jobs is all

SargeMO
02-02-2013, 18:37
Since the thread was titled 'Glock 23 Accuracy' and immediately compared it with a 1911, I'll offer an observation regarding the mechanical accuracy of the two. Assuming good ammunition, practically any 1911 can be easily made to keep 5 shots under 4" at 50 yards, shooting from a rest. Good 1911's, like the Colts, better-grade Springfields etc. will do it right out of the box.

I've benched a number of Glocks at that distance, including several 23's, and they would almost universally shoot to the standard mentioned above. So unless you're talking about a hard-fit match 1911--meaning 10 shots in under 2" at 50 yards--then I consider a good rack-grade 1911 and typical Glock to be equally accurate, in the mechanical sense.

The 1911's trigger is usually conductive to better shooting and it's more natural grip angle gives it an edge as well. If you doubt this, stand off at 50 yards and shoot a ten shot group with each, one handed. The target will tell you which one has the 'shootability' advantage.

bwvan
02-02-2013, 19:41
Hawker Man's groups are not atypical of the type of accuracy to expect from a .40 S&W once you learn the proper trigger control. You do not give up accuracy with a .40. Very nice shooting Hawk.

DannyB
02-02-2013, 19:45
I just think it is an individual thing. I have been handgunning for about forty years and have owned at least one or more of every name brand including a handful of 1911's. I shoot a Glock better than anything else I have ever owned in a larger caliber that 22.

In theory one should shoot a quality single action better. But like I said, it is an individual thing.

davsco
02-02-2013, 20:29
consider lightening your glock's trigger a little - check out a "-" connector and the glockworx 3 spring trigger lightening kit. don't worry, it's nowhere a 'hair' trigger but will be lighter and easier to pull. for me, trigger is everything. vs a full size 1911, the glock 23 has a shorter sight radius also.

Scrappy
02-02-2013, 20:44
Good Read
http://www.handgunsmag.com/2010/09/24/tactics_training_shot_022305/

Glock Junkie
02-02-2013, 21:57
Just practice and you will shoot your 23 better. I started shooting Glocks a year ago and had not shot a pistol in over 20 years. I have come along way in the year and can do well with any caliber Glock in my hands, especially a 40 cal.

Steel Head
02-02-2013, 22:32
I bought my first Glock in the early 90's.
A barn door at 25 feet was safe from me with it.:faint:

Sold it but bought another about 5 year ago and read up on shooting Glocks here and other sources.

Helped tremendously:wow:

With some frequent practice I can hit my 100yrd plate pretty regularly (G23) but I have to stay practiced with Glocks,with my 1911 or .22 pistol hitting that plate is a slam dunk.

sigman69
02-02-2013, 22:55
A Kimber is what you show your friends.
A Glock is what you show your enemies.

great saying...wait that is tag line :supergrin:

Cwlongshot
02-03-2013, 05:32

IMHO, Bren Nailed this!!

The Glock CAN be a excellent shooter... JUST AS GOOD as a 1911 in proper hands.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/CWLONGSHOT/Temp%20stuff/sporting%20pics/Targets%20and%20such/004eac48.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/CWLONGSHOT/Temp%20stuff/sporting%20pics/Targets%20and%20such/5579ea82.jpg

Both of these where fired at 15 yards offhand.

Just as a comparison, here is two mags full, fired as fast as sites came back on target. Again at 15 yards Glock 23 with Federal 165 XTP ammo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/CWLONGSHOT/Temp%20stuff/sporting%20pics/Targets%20and%20such/8c0da2e9.jpg

CW

Hamrhed
02-03-2013, 10:23
CW- is your G23 stock?

MrLawless1
02-04-2013, 00:16
Like most have said, the difference in weight seems to help improve accuracy, but practice is the best policy.

I will run through 75 shots with my Glock 23, getting some decent groups, the. Switch over to my Kimber 1911 and be all over the place. So, for me, shooting them is NOT the same discipline: perhaps like knowing/practicing two similar martial arts or two languages. Similar, but decidedly NOT the same.

All the best!!! Enjoy your time at the range.

Cwlongshot
02-04-2013, 03:22
CW- is your G23 stock?
I have Wollfe recoil spring, STS captured guide rod and grip tape. Otherwise yes stock...

Stock barrel and trigger. I bought the standard array of add on's dis-connector, heavier trigger spring etc. But after trying them removed them. AS this is a carry gun, I wanted to keep as stock as is defendable. ;)

CW

ithaca_deerslayer
02-04-2013, 06:20
Surprise break.

That's what you need to look up and understand. A stock Glock will shoot just as well as the typical 1911 :)

Gallium
02-04-2013, 06:39
When shooting fundamentals are understood, these questions of "gun accuracy" become almost academic.

Yes, a 1911 is inherently more accurate than a Glock - by design, due to it's tighter tolerances, and a Glock is inherently more reliable than a 1911, also by design.

A SIG P210 beats a generic 1911 in both the accuracy and reliability departments, and beats most 1911s in the reliability dept.

Bren et al have already pointed out some of the things that make a 1911 more fun to shoot, easier to grip, and easier to press the trigger, compared to a Glock.

SargeMO
02-04-2013, 21:32
When properly assembled they are equally accurate, at least to 50 yards. I've benched enough rack grade examples of each to be confident of this. Convince me with benched groups.

cadillacguns
02-05-2013, 03:36
My beat up used LEO trade in EDC G-23 is my most accurate Glock:dunno: go figure?!?

GKglock324
02-05-2013, 04:55
As someone mentioned before..a Glock can be just as accurate as any 1911, with practice. It's all in the hand. Here is a practice drill my Uncle taught me years ago...
Get some snap caps (dummy rounds), or just dry fire it, but before you do, place a round on the end of your barrel up next to your front sight...|_| primer side down of course, and practice steady aiming and pulling the trigger without the round falling off. Sounds old school, but it helps. If it falls off, your twitching too much anticipating the recoil, or you are jerking the trigger. Try it. Hope this helps.

Citadel15L
02-05-2013, 18:41
There's no substitute for practice.

Glock 23 At 230 Yards - YouTube :wow:

glock2740
02-05-2013, 19:13
I can shoot one hole one shot groups at 100 yards off hand with my G23 all day long. :cool:

ithaca_deerslayer
02-05-2013, 19:33
I can shoot one hole one shot groups at 100 yards off hand with my G23 all day long. :cool:

I can't do that with my 17. My 1 shot groups usually start to spread apart past 25 yards.

Chesafreak
02-05-2013, 19:47

The ticket to being a good shot with any handgun is to
rotate your grip either more clockwise or counter clockwise around the grip while dry firing at a point on the wall until you find that sweet spot where the trigger pull is straight back with no front sight movement on the break. Then from there its lots of dry firing to build muscle memory in getting your grip anchored the same way every time.

Ideally, the bore should be inline with your forearm for best handgun fit. I find that to get a straight back trigger pull and a tight group with a Glock, I have to rotate my hand more around the grip counter-clockwise so that with a two handed grip the Glock is at the top of a triangle formed with my forearms. With a 1911 I can grip with the bore inline with my forearm becuase you don't have to reach as far for the trigger.