We have a Glock down! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : We have a Glock down!

Pilotdude3407
01-28-2013, 21:50
My friend and I went out today for some good old plinking. Among several other guns, we had our 27's and his old 23. Anyway, he had a catastrophic case failure that separated the entire rear of the case (we pulled the forward part of the case out with a pair of pliars) and blew his extractor out in a few pieces. Surprisingly enough the mag remained in the gun. No one was hurt but his glock is down for the count. I have only seen one other case failure (actually on that same gun) and it did the classic fill your face with unburied powder and blow the mag out. We have traced the problem to some old (a few years old...not really old) ammo that seems to be the culprit. I advised him to call glock and see what they wanted to do about it. I have heard that they are top notch to deal with. It didn't appear that anything else was damaged on the gun but I figured rather than just replacing the extractor, he should have a gunsmith take a look at it just to CYA. I figured glock was the place to go. Any other recommendations or advise. Sorry I didn't get any pictures...rookie move.

thinktwice
01-29-2013, 00:00
If that old ammo turns out to be "old reloads" I don't think Glock is going to help you. Myself and some friends have fired 10 year old or later ammo out of Glocks without any problems. I am not saying it couldn't happen with factory ammo either, but I think you will have to have the lot # and any other documentation you might have or they might request.

Tiro Fijo
01-29-2013, 02:30
...I advised him to call glock and see what they wanted to do about it...

Well, the first thing they're going to ask is if the ammo in question was factory or reloads, which you have conveniently left out of your story. Everything else is secondary at this point.

Reloads = SOL.

Pilotdude3407
01-29-2013, 05:48
No...he doesn't reload. Only has bought factory stuff. In fact I run my own reloads through mine and that was my first thought that he was running my ammo and it failed but it wasn't. I have run over a thousand rounds of my .40 through my 27 without a hitch. I have heard that about .40 reloads though...hence why I thought it was mine.

SARDG
01-29-2013, 06:08
I was just ROing a GSSF match last month when a shooter had a partial case head separation on a .40cal reloaded nickle case that blew the extractor across the bay but left the mag in. The armorer put a new extractor in and all was well. I spoke with the armorer later though, and that shooter had left out the reload part when he went to the armorer to get it 'fixed'.

I supppose I'd check the extractor depressor parts and the FP safety though, and the armorer likely did that.

danysw
01-29-2013, 06:12
With that kind of failure, using factory ammo and if you have just the simple thought that "something else" could be damaged, IMHO the call to Glock is a priority.

JBnTX
01-29-2013, 06:22
What kind of ammo was it?

Pilotdude3407
01-29-2013, 06:44
Let me check on the ammo. As far as reloads, I know 100% he doesn't reload and only buys his ammo from a brick and mortar place. IF it was a reload then the only way I can think of that happening is by getting it from a local shop that is selling it after they reload. While he doesn't shop at this place, I have a local back woods gun shop and outdoor range where (I'm not sure if it is owned by the gun shop, although it is a building on the range) they pick up range brass, reload it and stick it in boxes and that is what goes into the shop as "cheaper" ammo and the ammo they use in their rental guns. I can't believe that is legit, but they have done it ever since I started going there 3 years ago. I won't use it though...

ron59
01-29-2013, 07:44
Early Federal .40 factory ammo had weaker brass than is used today.

You said "old" G23. The earliest G23's had the problems with the non-fully supported chambers (which was rectified long ago).

** IF ** his G23 is one of the really old ones, and if this ammo is some of the early stuff.... this is exactly the type of problem that caused Glock to modify their barrels and Federal to modify their ammo.

Just sayin.

Jeffrey Lebowski
01-29-2013, 08:24
10 years isn't really that old for modern factory ammo....

Pilotdude3407
01-29-2013, 09:19

You said "old" G23. The earliest G23's had the problems with the non-fully supported chambers (which was rectified long ago).

** IF ** his G23 is one of the really old ones, and if this ammo is some of the early stuff.... this is exactly the type of problem that caused Glock to modify their barrels and Federal to modify their ammo.

Just sayin.

Great info. I will pass this along. Also, I have heard of people calling Glock, giving them their serial number, sending in the gun, and Glock goes through it and replaces/updates any parts to the gun (maybe the barrel?) and send its back to you in tip top shape. Anyone tried or done this?

Roger H
01-29-2013, 12:49
Great info. I will pass this along. Also, I have heard of people calling Glock, giving them their serial number, sending in the gun, and Glock goes through it and replaces/updates any parts to the gun (maybe the barrel?) and send its back to you in tip top shape. Anyone tried or done this?

I have and i didnt know i was shooting factory reloads. my g21 blew up. split the barrel blew out the mag. after counting my fingers and came up with 8 and 2 thumbs went to LGS glock armor he said that it did have a frame recall sent it to glock i did have to pay for a barrel and other than the slide i got brand new gun same serial number with a 1 infrount shoots great it was a 2002 and rocks with the best of them. Glock will fix you up right. I have got 3 gen 3s for my family wife grand daughter and my son. thinking of getting me a 26 for ccw

Pilotdude3407
01-29-2013, 17:14
I have heard glock will do you right. I was going to get pictures for y'all but when I called my buddy, he told me he already talked to glock and the gun is on the way to Smyrna as we speak. I will keep you all posted on what happens.

gooffeyguy
01-29-2013, 17:28

Just sayin.

If you have an older G23 with the less supported chamber, will glock replace the barrel with a newer, more supported one?