Is Glock gonna continue making the Gen 3's indefinitely? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is Glock gonna continue making the Gen 3's indefinitely?

RMTactical
01-29-2013, 01:01
Just curious. All I own are gen 3's and I like them better than the Gen 4's. Thinking about picking up a Glock 19 gen 3 when my FFL gets them in stock again...

xRUSTYx
01-29-2013, 01:04
I prefer the opposite :) I haven't heard of them discontinuing the Gen 3 ....

JBP55
01-29-2013, 02:52
I do not think anyone outside of Austria has the answer to your question.

JakeFromStateFarm
01-29-2013, 03:27
I PERSONALLY think they won't stop making them for a while not saying it won't happen, but Im with JBP I don't think anybody but reps would know forsure.

chemboy
01-29-2013, 08:30
I do not think anyone outside of Austria has the answer to your question.

This...

jay1975
01-29-2013, 09:50
I can't see them continuing on for much longer. They stopped the Gen 1's and 2's after all. My local PD dealer only can get the Gen 4's, so they may be focusing on upgrading the PD's first, then discontinue the Gen 3's once that is complete. The local SO switched to Gen 4 a couple of years ago.

stak
01-29-2013, 11:37
In the US California doesn't allow the Gen4. I thought I had read that internationally some countries are still buying the Gen3.

TTex
01-29-2013, 12:17
I say eventually yes they will quit making them. They dont make Gen 2's any more, so will it be with the Gen 3 in time.
Its that way with everything. They dont make Iphone 3 anymore, they dont make regular Xbox, or PS2.
I dont know how long it will take, but I still have to believe one day you will not find any Gen 3's any more, it'll all be 4's and 5's.

TheGlockTalker
01-29-2013, 12:59
Maybe they'll stop with the Gen 3's once they have the Gen 4's fixed.

John_NJ
01-29-2013, 13:24
I say eventually yes they will quit making them. They dont make Gen 2's any more, so will it be with the Gen 3 in time.
Its that way with everything. They dont make Iphone 3 anymore, they dont make regular Xbox, or PS2.
I dont know how long it will take, but I still have to believe one day you will not find any Gen 3's any more, it'll all be 4's and 5's.

Agree. But until then -- I'm willing to take a Gen 3 no problem, There are 3 more Glocks I still want!

F106 Fan
01-29-2013, 13:26
We do this topic once a month...

The thing is, Gen 4s can not be sold in California because they lack the newly required magazine disconnect. They will NEVER be sold in California. OK, there is a single-shot exemption but I don't want to get into it. It's a tiny loophole that will, no doubt, be plugged in the near future.

So, as long as California is a large enough market, Gen 3s will be available. If not, well, Glocks just won't be sold in California.

No newly introduced handgun (after some magic date) can come into California unless it has a loaded chamber indicator, a firing pin blocking mechanism and a magazine disconnect (among other features that I don't recall). There are a lot of really nice guns that we just can't buy!

Richard

tonyparson
01-29-2013, 14:05

True but the Iphone 3 and the Xbox and so on didn't out sell the newer models when they came out.

M 7
01-29-2013, 14:09
Just curious. All I own are gen 3's and I like them better than the Gen 4's. Thinking about picking up a Glock 19 gen 3 when my FFL gets them in stock again...

Not a fan of the gen 4s at all, so I am in the same boat as you. I like the gen 3s and hope that the gen 3s remain in production.

Patchman
01-29-2013, 16:37
This is a question that comes up every so often. To me, it makes no sense for Glock to continue having two production lines. But I guess as long as the demand is there (and "high enough") for Gen 3 products, Glock will keep the production going.

My two CCW G-19s are both gen 3 2-pin guns. I've stocked up on all parts that are specific to the 2-pins. If I were to purchase another G19 (I'm always tempted to do so), it would have to be another gen 3 2-pin.

GeorgiaGlocker
01-29-2013, 17:00
I would think that some point in time they would halt production of the gen 3's. Afterall, gen 1 and 2 are no longer in production. As long as demand is there production will continue.

faawrenchbndr
01-29-2013, 17:24
Maybe they'll stop with the Gen 3's once they have the Gen 4's fixed.

So,......you're saying they will never discontinue the 3rd Gen? :dunno:

ls
01-29-2013, 20:44
Since they introduced the G30s on a Gen 3 frame, makes me think they will continue for a while anyway. It seems if they were going to discontinue them then they would have rolled out the G30s on a Gen 4 frame.

AustinTx
01-29-2013, 21:19
In the US California doesn't allow the Gen4. I thought I had read that internationally some countries are still buying the Gen3.

Everybody should quit selling guns to any CA LE Agency.

sharp
01-29-2013, 22:38
I'm guessing they have a butt load of Gen3 mags, and will keep making the Gen 3's until the supply of old mags dries up.

mrsurfboard
01-30-2013, 01:17
My guess, once the entire line has been transitioned to Gen 4, production of Gen 3 pistols will stop. As to CA, you aren't that important, Gen 3 won't be made just for you, sorry to burst your bubble.

llcoolj_2222
01-30-2013, 01:51
Glock will stop making 3rd gen when keeping these 2 production lines hurts their revenue margine.
3rd gen is very different from gen 1 and 2, this is they got discontinued. It has 3 pins, and the accessory rail that no modern combat gun can live without.
As for gen 4, the only real change from gen 3 from the end user perspective is the interchangeable backstraps that most of the big customers don't really care for.

Therefore I don't think that glock will phase out gen 3 very soon.

mrsurfboard
01-30-2013, 04:56
Glock will stop making 3rd gen when keeping these 2 production lines hurts their revenue margine.
3rd gen is very different from gen 1 and 2, this is they got discontinued. It has 3 pins, and the accessory rail that no modern combat gun can live without.
As for gen 4, the only real change from gen 3 from the end user perspective is the interchangeable backstraps that most of the big customers don't really care for.

Therefore I don't think that glock will phase out gen 3 very soon.

Gen 4s use a different mold for the frame, different slide, different mag release, different recoil spring, so there are lots of difference. And most of the big customers don't really care about the backstraps? Really, that's one of the biggest complaints, especially from PD with all different types of users. Your entire line of reasoning is full of fail.

SoldMyHat
01-30-2013, 07:40
Gen 4s use a different mold for the frame, different slide, different mag release, different recoil spring, so there are lots of difference. And most of the big customers don't really care about the backstraps? Really, that's one of the biggest complaints, especially from PD with all different types of users. Your entire line of reasoning is full of fail.

I like the medium blackstrap the best , but that's just me. The grip texture and mag release are the big ones to me. I love my 22gen4

F106 Fan
01-30-2013, 07:59
My guess, once the entire line has been transitioned to Gen 4, production of Gen 3 pistols will stop. As to CA, you aren't that important, Gen 3 won't be made just for you, sorry to burst your bubble.

True enough... We only buy about 3/4 of a MILLION guns per year! Now, it's true, that is all guns, not just Glocks but they probably account for a big piece. Maybe we're around 100,000 Glocks per year. Is that a big enough piece of business? We'll see...

The Gen 4s have been around for 3 years. You would think that Glock would have fully transitioned if they planned to do so.

According to the California Department of Justice, gun sales increased 49 percent after the November election, compared to the same time last year. And sales on Black Friday jumped 59 percent from the year before, spokeswoman Michelle Gregory said. The agency expects 725,000 weapons will be legally purchased this year, almost twice the 370,628 firearms bought five years ago.

jay1975
01-30-2013, 10:19
Most manufacturers don't produce guns just for Cali and I believe their cops are exempt from most of their civilian disarmament laws, so I can see them stopping Gen 3s and telling the Cali civi's that they are out of luck. LE contracts are Glock's primary focus as those help drive civi sales, but to maintain a second production line for one communist state seems silly.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

samurairabbi
01-30-2013, 10:49
If the gen4 is aimed at the American market because of the adjustable grip feature, and the rest of the world is content with non-adjustable grips, then it is reasonable to maintain two Glock versions.

mrsurfboard
01-30-2013, 16:00
If the gen4 is aimed at the American market because of the adjustable grip feature, and the rest of the world is content with non-adjustable grips, then it is reasonable to maintain two Glock versions.

You don't know much about manufacturing do you. It would be too expensive to maintain 2 separate product lines forever. And since many Glock parts are interchangeable within their generation, it is not cost effective to produce both gens. And how did you become so knowledgable on what the rest of the world does or does not want.

jay1975
01-30-2013, 16:16
Mrsurfboard, not to mention that the UK military just bought a butt ton of Gen 4s and I am sure as other Euro nations upgrade, they too will go Gen 4.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

samurairabbi
01-30-2013, 19:11
You don't know much about manufacturing do you. It would be too expensive to maintain 2 separate product lines forever. And since many Glock parts are interchangeable within their generation, it is not cost effective to produce both gens. And how did you become so knowledgable on what the rest of the world does or does not want.

Perhaps GM, Chrysler, Boeing, Westinghouse, and McDonnell were deficient in showing me the advantages AND DISADVANTAGES of economy of scale.

The Glock company, for all its fame, is a privately held two factory/assembly plant operation with a bunch of parts subcontractors. It is not GM or Daimler. It has one product line that carries an enormous profit margin. Carrying two variants of that product line, one from each of its two facilities, would be.straightforward IF THE MARKET WANTS SUCH VARIANTS.

Economy of scale has its limitation, as GM found out on its slide into "reorganization".