The great California death throes.. gruesome truth revealed [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The great California death throes.. gruesome truth revealed

Skyhook
01-29-2013, 11:33
http://pjmedia.com/victordavishanson/california-at-twilight/

"California has changed not due to race but due to culture, most prominently because the recent generation of immigrants from Latin America did not — as in the past, for the most part — come legally in manageable numbers and integrate under the host’s assimilationist paradigm. Instead, in the last three decades huge arrivals of illegal aliens from Mexico and Latin America saw Democrats as the party of multiculturalism, separatism, entitlements, open borders, non-enforcement of immigration laws, and eventually plentiful state employment.

aircarver
01-29-2013, 11:37
Coming soon to a country near you ... :frown:

Skyhook
01-29-2013, 11:40
Coming soon to a country near you ... :frown:

Living in Cuomo's Peoples Republic of New Yawk, I think I am seeing it all happening right before my eyes.
:puking:

CAcop
01-29-2013, 12:27
Strange. In my mostly Hispanic city my neighbors celebrate the Fourth of July like crazy. Cinco de Mayo is pretty lame. Maybe it is the fact that I am in middle class neighborhood surrounded by working class neighborhoods. They may speak Spanish or it is first language but they are pretty Americanized. I dont spend too much time in the ghetto except at work in another city that is mostly white so the poor and recent arrivals may do things differently.

JBnTX
01-29-2013, 12:50
Theodore Roosevelt on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN:

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin.

But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all.

We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...

We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Skyhook
01-29-2013, 12:51
Strange. In my mostly Hispanic city my neighbors celebrate the Fourth of July like crazy. Cinco de Mayo is pretty lame. Maybe it is the fact that I am in middle class neighborhood surrounded by working class neighborhoods. They may speak Spanish or it is first language but they are pretty Americanized. I dont spend too much time in the ghetto except at work in another city that is mostly white so the poor and recent arrivals may do things differently.

As in all things dealing with folks- there will be exceptions, right?

Skyhook
01-29-2013, 12:52

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin.

But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all.

We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...

We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Teddy nailed that!

fastbolt
01-29-2013, 13:09
"Death Throes" might be a bit premature, and contain no small amount of whimsical literary license. :whistling:

Of course, the emphasis of rebuilding of the state's financial well-being is going to be placed upon the shoulders of the wealthier tax payers, but it just might pay off ... depending on the volatility of the stock market and business investment in the state ... but a goodly amount of such tax-payers seem as though they might feel they're getting enough benefit to make it worthwhile to remain here. Guess we'll see.

Here's a couple of more recent articles, but there's been no shortage of them since the last election.

http://news.yahoo.com/california-budget-plan-surprise-surplus-012349478.html

http://news.yahoo.com/analysis-california-budget-fix-relies-good-times-rich-130443557--business.html

If ... and that's a big IF ... the state can reign in its enthusiasm to spend the new influx of money, they might resolve some issues, even to the point of starting to repay some monies against the unfunded liabilities in the state pension system.

What this will mean to counties and cities remains to be seen, of course.

CA continues to do the impossible, despite detractors.

pugman
01-29-2013, 13:54
Point in fact: if California were allowed to keep annual overage it sends the federal government it could offset its deficit within 3-4 months.

It could pay for its entire pension shortfall within ten years.

The problem with California is a liberal state government combined with a liberal federal government.

Its turning into a perfect storm.

CAcop
01-29-2013, 14:28
Point in fact: if California were allowed to keep annual overage it sends the federal government it could offset its deficit within 3-4 months.

It could pay for its entire pension shortfall within ten years.

The problem with California is a liberal state government combined with a liberal federal government.

Its turning into a perfect storm.

It would be interesting if CA left the union. 38 million people no longer paying to the Feds more than they get back.

I know for sure our tax bill in CA would decline. Either that or there would be a spending spree of epic porportions.

Skyhook
01-29-2013, 15:46
"Death Throes" might be a bit premature, and contain no small amount of whimsical literary license. :whistling:

Of course, the emphasis of rebuilding of the state's financial well-being is going to be placed upon the shoulders of the wealthier tax payers, but it just might pay off ... depending on the volatility of the stock market and business investment in the state ... but a goodly amount of such tax-payers seem as though they might feel they're getting enough benefit to make it worthwhile to remain here. Guess we'll see.

Here's a couple of more recent articles, but there's been no shortage of them since the last election.

http://news.yahoo.com/california-budget-plan-surprise-surplus-012349478.html

http://news.yahoo.com/analysis-california-budget-fix-relies-good-times-rich-130443557--business.html

If ... and that's a big IF ... the state can reign in its enthusiasm to spend the new influx of money, they might resolve some issues, even to the point of starting to repay some monies against the unfunded liabilities in the state pension system.

What this will mean to counties and cities remains to be seen, of course.

CA continues to do the impossible, despite detractors.

Oh, well, just when I was waxing eloquent, we see this 'denier' fly up and say the "cock crows three times" before he noticed rot when he sees it.

Seriously, though, the bit about "CA doing the impossible.." forever seems really 'whimsical' don't it?:supergrin:

cowboy1964
01-29-2013, 16:02
I thought California's budget problems were mostly because of city managers making $500,000 a year and public servants' extravagent pensions?

GAFinch
01-29-2013, 16:59
Of course, the elitist liberals who created this mess are fleeing to CO, NV, AZ, TX, etc...cluelessly turning the local governments into what they just fled from.

jaws48
01-29-2013, 18:13
Of course, the elitist liberals who created this mess are fleeing to CO, NV, AZ, TX, etc...cluelessly turning the local governments into what they just fled from.

They are doing their best in AZ, for sure.:puking:

maxsnafu
01-29-2013, 18:35
http://pjmedia.com/victordavishanson/california-at-twilight/

"California has changed not due to race but due to culture,

“Culture” in the properly anthropological sense, means “the behaviors and beliefs characteristic of a particular social, ethnic, or age group.” So if you say: “This group characteristically behaves and thinks like this because of their culture,” you are saying “they behave and think like this because this is how they behave and think.”

fastbolt
01-30-2013, 00:05
Oh, well, just when I was waxing eloquent, we see this 'denier' fly up and say the "cock crows three times" before he noticed rot when he sees it.

Seriously, though, the bit about "CA doing the impossible.." forever seems really 'whimsical' don't it?:supergrin:

I was trying not strain my cheek with my firmly implanted tongue while typing that ... :rofl:

I wasn't born in CA, but I've lived here for more than 50 years, and things are significantly different than I remember from my youth, to say the least.

:wavey:

pugman
01-30-2013, 05:51
It would be interesting if CA left the union. 38 million people no longer paying to the Feds more than they get back.

I know for sure our tax bill in CA would decline. Either that or there would be a spending spree of epic porportions.

CA is one of the few states I think could effectively leave. Texas is a second.

A huge ocean shoreline allows it to ship/receive goods without interference from the Fed or other states. A landlocked state like Colorado would be devastated if the fed wanted to play hardball.

A second consideration is breaking up the state into two with Northern and Southern California forming.

California has a good dairy and fruit economy; not sure about grains. It would definitely need to build some manufacturing infrastructure for items it mostly gets from out of state.

aircarver
01-30-2013, 06:47
CA is one of the few states I think could effectively leave. Texas is a second.

According to this, TX could, CA couldn't.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o135/aircarver/give-take-small-final.png

jlavallee
01-30-2013, 11:11

Because that miserable POS who is up there with Lincoln, Wilson and FDR to undo the limits on Presidential power and shred the Constitution is the President we go to for quotes on being a solid American.:rofl:

jlavallee
01-30-2013, 11:14
They are doing their best in AZ, for sure.:puking:

NV is under constant attack from Californians wanting to make NV more like the place they ruined too.

HarlDane
01-30-2013, 12:15
According to this, TX could, CA couldn't.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o135/aircarver/give-take-small-final.png
.I knew something was fishy when I saw Alaska was only at $1.09, then I read the fine print and noticed that the map only counts payments to individuals. When all federal expenditures are added up by State, CA gets much less than it pays in.

ETA: Looks like there are a lot of folks on the dole in West Virginia and Mississippi.

aircarver
01-30-2013, 12:16
I saw Alaska at $1.09 and knew something seemed fishy, then I read the fine print and noticed that the map only counts payments to individuals. When total payments are used, CA gets much less than it pays in.

Where do you get that statistic ?

Skyhook
01-30-2013, 14:09
I was trying not strain my cheek with my firmly implanted tongue while typing that ... :rofl:

I wasn't born in CA, but I've lived here for more than 50 years, and things are significantly different than I remember from my youth, to say the least.

:wavey:

In concert with your thinking, I have two Democrat politicians nearby who spent a few to more years in CA and, although they emanated from here (Upstate NY- Conservative) they both are screaming, roaring, frothing Progressive a-wholes.

Imagine.

Skyhook
01-30-2013, 14:11

This is EXACTLY what we in Upstate NY have experienced with down staters who move here for retirement, or, perhaps, just to outrun their sludge.

HarlDane
01-30-2013, 14:52
Where do you get that statistic ?

.I've seen a number of similar maps and other charts in the past.

Here is one from 2004, not the most current I know, but I only had time for a quick google search, more current numbers are out there if you care to look.

lLink (http://taxfoundation.org/blog/why-do-some-states-feast-federal-spending-not-others)

CAcop
01-31-2013, 12:28
I've seen a number of similar maps and other charts in the past.

Here is one from 2004, not the most current I know, but I only had time for a quick google search, more current numbers are out there if you care to look.

lLink (http://taxfoundation.org/blog/why-do-some-states-feast-federal-spending-not-others)

I thought that looked fishy too because the numbers were totally off for a few states.

Skyhook
01-31-2013, 12:56
I've seen a number of similar maps and other charts in the past.

Aye, it comes to the discussion as to the accuracy and integrity of those reporting.
The site was very interesting- thanks for that- and I particularly liked this: "As the table makes clear, far more than is realistically possible. California alone would need to receive more than half of the nation's discretionary spending. The lesson? The distribution of federal taxing and spending is mostly driven by tax burdens, not the ability of lawmakers to divert spending to their home states. "

series1811
01-31-2013, 13:41
I knew something was fishy when I saw Alaska was only at $1.09, then I read the fine print and noticed that the map only counts payments to individuals. When all federal expenditures are added up by State, CA gets much less than it pays in.

ETA: Looks like there are a lot of folks on the dole in West Virginia and Mississippi.

There are. And, from having grown up in Mississippi, I can tell you they all vote Democrat (often more than once in the same election) and that if the majority of Mississippians had their say, the federal government could keep all of that money (or even better, not take it as taxes in the first place).