G23 Gen 3 w/Gen 4 recoil spring [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G23 Gen 3 w/Gen 4 recoil spring

MotoXXX
01-29-2013, 13:36
Can you put a Gen 4 guide rod and recoil spring into a Gen 3 G23? I tried searching here but didn't find any info.
Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

BMiracletx
01-29-2013, 13:40
Nope. The Gen4 assembly will require a larger opening in the slide, and a larger opening in the frame where it seats. A Gen4 recoil spring assembly (RSA) will physically not fit.

Going the other way is the same... the slide opening on a Gen4 is too large for the Gen3 RSA, however you can get an adapter washer to make a Gen3 work in a Gen4... but not the other way.

Scrappy
01-29-2013, 14:22
You can put the gen 3 one in a gen 4 with the adapter they make. But no one that I know has made an adapter yet for the Gen 4 spring into the gen 3. Im sure its a matter of time

BMiracletx
01-29-2013, 14:31
You can put the gen 3 one in a gen 4 with the adapter they make. But no one that I know has made an adapter yet for the Gen 4 spring into the gen 3. Im sure its a matter of time

I don't foresee this ever happening since I don't see anyway for this to work. It would require enlarging the hole in the slide and dremeling out the frame notch for the Gen4 RSA. Seems like a lot of destruction to the original frame and slide just for a Gen4 RSA.

M 7
01-29-2013, 14:38
Can you put a Gen 4 guide rod and recoil spring into a Gen 3 G23? I tried searching here but didn't find any info.

Is there some benefit to doing such a thing? :dunno:

Scrappy
01-29-2013, 14:44
I don't foresee this ever happening since I don't see anyway for this to work. It would require enlarging the hole in the slide and dremeling out the frame notch for the Gen4 RSA. Seems like a lot of destruction to the original frame and slide just for a Gen4 RSA.

No, it would require an adapter to fit into the smaller hole just like an adapter they have for the gen 3 to fit larger hole on the gen 4 slide.

Scrappy
01-29-2013, 14:53
Is there some benefit to doing such a thing? :dunno:

The less then 10% recoil reduction?

BMiracletx
01-29-2013, 15:37
No, it would require an adapter to fit into the smaller hole just like an adapter they have for the gen 3 to fit larger hole on the gen 4 slide.

How do you adapt something to fit in a smaller hole? (otherwise we not have a 45 vs 9mm debate cuz we could just shoot 45 through a 9mm barrel) The center of the Gen4 RSA is larger. It physically can not go through the hole in the end of the slide. There is a reason that the hole in the front of a Gen4 slide is larger.

I have both Gen 3s and 4s and have pondered slide/barrel/frame interchangeability while having them apart in front of me. You can swap barrels, but not slides or RSAs. Sure the Gen4 slide will fit on a Gen3 frame, but the RSA wont. They make an adapter to convert the smaller diameter Gen3 RSA to fit the larger opening of the Gen4 slide, but not the other way.

I still can see no way to do this without enlarging holes in front of slide and the frame notch.

BMiracletx
01-29-2013, 15:39
double post

MotoXXX
01-29-2013, 15:42
Thanks guys I'll take that as a no LOL.

Scrappy
01-29-2013, 15:50
How do you adapt something to fit in a smaller hole? (otherwise we not have a 45 vs 9mm debate cuz we could just shoot 45 through a 9mm barrel) The center of the Gen4 RSA is larger. It physically can not go through the hole in the end of the slide. There is a reason that the hole in the front of a Gen4 slide is larger.

I have both Gen 3s and 4s and have pondered slide/barrel/frame interchangeability while having them apart in front of me. You can swap barrels, but not slides or RSAs. Sure the Gen4 slide will fit on a Gen3 frame, but the RSA wont. They make an adapter to convert the smaller diameter Gen3 RSA to fit the larger opening of the Gen4 slide, but not the other way.

I still can see no way to do this without enlarging holes in front of Gen3 slide and the frame notch.

Well. I would think the adapter would start off big into small?
But point being I think the gen 4 spring would hit the Gen 3 frame anyway, correct?