So what's next in the process with Frankenstein's AWB? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : So what's next in the process with Frankenstein's AWB?

cowboy1964
01-29-2013, 16:22
Does it go to a committee? What's the best way to follow the progress of this monstrosity?

Tippyman
01-29-2013, 16:25
Ditto

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Glock26z
01-29-2013, 17:03
-I called Rand Paul's office in DC today along with my own rep and senators,and,I told them all to put FAST AND FURIOUS on any bill that Frankenstien plans on putting her gun control agenda on. ANY BILL. Call your reps and senators to have it done soon.

GAFinch
01-29-2013, 17:05
It won't go to committee unless Reid allows it to. I'm sure they're quite busy running around talking to Senators and Congressmen in private meetings trying to gin up (strong-arm/blackmail/bribe) enough support before it goes official. Only when they get close to finding enough votes will they start working on a compromise bill in committees to shore up the remaining votes.

JimmyN
01-30-2013, 06:23
You can track it at the Library of Congress site. The bill number is S.150. She introduced it on the 24th, it was read twice then referred to the Committee on the Judiciary. The committee or subcommittees that a bill is referred to will review it and make any markups (amendments). It will sit in committee until the majority leader thinks he can get 60 votes on it.

In the Senate it takes 51 votes to pass a bill, but it first takes 60 votes to bring it to the floor to vote on it's passage. That's why Senator's are often accused of flip-flopping. The party wants it to come to the Senate floor for a vote, so they will vote "yay" to get the 60 needed and please the party. But when the vote comes for passage they may vote "nay" to please the voters back home that put them in office. So they will sometimes vote "yay" the first time, then "nay" on the second vote.

If the committee review is favorable, and the majority leader (Reid), thinks he can get the 60 votes he'll bring it out of committee. If it gets the 60 votes it will be debated on the floor and then they'll need 51 votes to pass it and make it law. If Reid doesn't think the 60 votes are there it will never make it out of committee. Plus he's from a pro-gun state so he'll be hesitant to bring a gun ban bill out of committee.

jeanderson
01-30-2013, 07:40
I heard they might try to attach it to some spending bill. Sneaky bastards.

akroguy
01-30-2013, 09:03
It'll sit and grow moss while we all get wrapped around the axle over it, drive gun prices through the roof and assure ammunition will be in short supply for a long time.

It's psy-ops...US Senate vs. We the People.

jlavallee
01-30-2013, 10:35
There is only one way to solve the problem and the root is people who vote to infringe on the individual liberty of others. Politicians are easy to manipulate, they just try to do as much as they want to without paying a personal price. If voters made them pay for failure to obey the Constitution then the problems would be solved. Voters instead mostly argue about everything but liberty so politicians place no value on it.

Cavalry Doc
01-30-2013, 11:10
There is only one way to solve the problem and the root is people who vote to infringe on the individual liberty of others. Politicians are easy to manipulate, they just try to do as much as they want to without paying a personal price. If voters made them pay for failure to obey the Constitution then the problems would be solved. Voters instead mostly argue about everything but liberty so politicians place no value on it.

I'll work on the right side of the aisle if you'll work on the left.

Individual politics on a gun board political forum are a lot different than mass politics on a national scale. If you could make one rule that would fix it overnight, it would be to only count votes from voters that pay more into the federal treasury than they get back in welfare, food stamps, section 8/HUD, WIC etc. Only a 75% chance of that starting mass riots, and a zero percent chance of that idea ever being passed by the house or senate.

jlavallee
01-30-2013, 23:49
Individual politics on a gun board political forum are a lot different than mass politics on a national scale.

For sure but I think that we're now equipped with better tools to fight propaganda than ever before. Unlike in the past where mainstream media was the only thing most were exposed to, the internet and social media allows us to open many more minds than ever before.

Just the fact that we can argue and disagree on a gun forum does help the overall argument since we're all better able to make our case because it actually is a form of practice. Now that we're starting to accept the fact that religion and politics aren't taboo topics, we can actually put some truth and knowledge out there. Once we can convince people of the basic natural law that nobody has a right to initiate force and most, even many in the minority wings accept that but cling to "but what about x or y" so as long as we're consistant and apply the concept of human rights across the board, we'll win. It is waking people up to the evil behind the "social programs" that they have to see.

It won't be easy but it can be done if we are consistant.