CCW Class Thurs/Fri Nights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CCW Class Thurs/Fri Nights

glock1769
01-30-2013, 13:16
I'm taking my CCW class on Thurs and Fri nights...and I'm very excited about it. I've been wanting to do it for a long time. I'm not sure at this time how much I'll take advantage of it (assuming there's no problem with the final approval). But, I'm guessing I will become more and more comfortable with it over time. And, I like the idea of having the ability to do it when and if I choose !

Lord
01-30-2013, 15:03
I'm taking my CCW class on Thurs and Fri nights...and I'm very excited about it. I've been wanting to do it for a long time. I'm not sure at this time how much I'll take advantage of it (assuming there's no problem with the final approval). But, I'm guessing I will become more and more comfortable with it over time. And, I like the idea of having the ability to do it when and if I choose !

Assuming, of course, that when you refer to "doing it", you mean concealed carrying. Not sure what "taking advantage of it" means, but keep in mind that deciding to, and ultimately carrying concealed bears with it HUGE responsibility, as well as a new way of thinking.... watching exits, becoming more aloert to your surroundings, the people around you, signs posted, etc. You will even develop a keener eye in spotting other ccw'ers.

Be excited, but also be vigilant and level headed. Do NOT fall into the trap that I've heard many others fall into and that's the mindset that you're now invincible since you're carrying. Your first thought in any crisis should be "how can I get out of this and get help...?" and you should only draw weapon if the answer to that question is "there is no way out, and there is no way to get help"

Good luck, and remember that if you EVER have question or uncertainty about something related to CCW, seek help/answers. Do NOT try to answer it yourself. Being an armchair lawyer is a good way to make a bad situation worse.

glock1769
01-30-2013, 16:31
Assuming, of course, that when you refer to "doing it", you mean concealed carrying. Not sure what "taking advantage of it" means, but keep in mind that deciding to, and ultimately carrying concealed bears with it HUGE responsibility, as well as a new way of thinking.... watching exits, becoming more aloert to your surroundings, the people around you, signs posted, etc. You will even develop a keener eye in spotting other ccw'ers.

Be excited, but also be vigilant and level headed. Do NOT fall into the trap that I've heard many others fall into and that's the mindset that you're now invincible since you're carrying. Your first thought in any crisis should be "how can I get out of this and get help...?" and you should only draw weapon if the answer to that question is "there is no way out, and there is no way to get help"

Good luck, and remember that if you EVER have question or uncertainty about something related to CCW, seek help/answers. Do NOT try to answer it yourself. Being an armchair lawyer is a good way to make a bad situation worse.

You are absolutely correct in all that you say. I didn't mean to give the wrong impression. I simply meant that it's unlikely I would start from day one as a "carry everyday" person. In no way would I underestimate this responsibility. It is very serious. If you knew me you would in no way think I'm the irresponsible or invinceable type. I'm a very conservative husband, father and business owner. Sorry if that came off wrong.

Lord
01-30-2013, 20:08
oh don't apologize. Your message was ok, just a bit unclear. All I was trying to do was convey some "wisdom", if you will.

For everyone, their own choice. In my humble opinion, however, carry as often as you possibly can. I am even carrying when sitting on my living room couch.

Like a spare tire, I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

The mind set will grow on you.

Read a lot of posts. Lots of really interesting stuff is discussed, and much of it very informative.

larry_minn
01-30-2013, 21:14
Go have fun, learn, etc. When you get permit go to Wally World and buy some nochos. (if you want) :0

Let us know if someone shows up with loaded gun/stuck in waist band, is kicked out. :0

SCmasterblaster
01-31-2013, 07:49
Enjoy your classes.

glock1769
02-01-2013, 22:02
Finished my 2 nights of classes...ended each night shooting in the range. Passed both the written and practical with flying colors. I enjoyed it and learned a lot. I hope to hang out here to keep getting more info and questions answered. I'll be submitting my certificate and application to the Highway Patrol Monday morning. Supposedly takes up to 6 weeks to turn around the permit.