Quality Father/Son "Glocking" Time [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Quality Father/Son "Glocking" Time

glock1769
01-30-2013, 14:26
I took my 14 year old son to a Basic Pistol class last night at my favorite range. I have to tell you that was some awesome time we spent together...no cell phones, no texting, no running off to play X-Box, no workouts, no baseball practice. The last part of the class was actual range work... The look on his face after firing his first round was priceless. He shot my G17 and I shot my G26. I really wanted him to learn the basics...and most importantly, safety, from the ground up. I really think this will be something we'll be able to share for a long time !

HKLovingIT
01-30-2013, 15:39
I took my 14 year old son to a Basic Pistol class last night at my favorite range. I have to tell you that was some awesome time we spent together...no cell phones, no texting, no running off to play X-Box, no workouts, no baseball practice. The last part of the class was actual range work... The look on his face after firing his first round was priceless. He shot my G17 and I shot my G26. I really wanted him to learn the basics...and most importantly, safety, from the ground up. I really think this will be something we'll be able to share for a long time !

That's great. It's something me and my mini-mes really enjoy together. If he catches the bug it's something you can do together for a lifetime. Then grandkids too. :wavey:

I think it also reinforces a number of positive traits in kids like attention to detail, being safety conscious, being responsible etc. Also builds a positive memory for them of the time Dad judged them grown up enough to handle it responsibly. Not to mention getting the boogers out of the house and all the electronics and cells turned off.

Bruce M
01-30-2013, 16:03
Sounds like you had a really good time. Decades later I still have fond memories of going shooting with my Dad.

lonnied
01-30-2013, 16:41
You are very fortunate to have such a shooting partner.

Armedleprechaun
01-30-2013, 17:27
Awesome!

elijah58
01-30-2013, 19:03
I enjoy the same, my son after shooting one of my Glocks has now bought a G27, G22 and a G21C. He got his CWP And now my wife has gotten hers, she has even started to go out to our range (in our yard :) ) and shoot 50 - 100 rounds right by herself and is getting really good. I just got a G26 today for my other son for his birthday in march, so then. We will really be a Glock Family.

Eli

janice6
01-30-2013, 19:06
Some of my best times are at the range with my daughters and son. We enjoy each others company and shooting too.

My extended family are going again for a group CCW renewal shortly. It's like a family event now.

Good times for sure.

stolenphot0
01-30-2013, 19:38
Congrats. My dad took me about 30ish years ago for the first time. Now I take my girls. I was actually talking to my dad yesterday on the way to the range, and he wants to go shooting next time he comes into town. He hasn't been on almost 15-18 years.

elijah58
01-30-2013, 19:49
Congrats. My dad took me about 30ish years ago for the first time. Now I take my girls. I was actually talking to my dad yesterday on the way to the range, and he wants to go shooting next time he comes into town. He hasn't been on almost 15-18 years.

Nice, the memories come flooding back, not many better feelings than that.
Eli

bac1023
01-30-2013, 20:35
Very cool indeed :cool:

glockforlife100
02-03-2013, 12:38
I couldn't agree more! On our last visit, my son and I shot my Glock 34 and 30SF. The time is special and the sense of accomplishment they get is priceless!

thinkfast
02-04-2013, 10:25
You deserve a huge round of applause for taking your son to a safety class. Part of my job is helping residents process their CCW licenses. For noobies, I always suggest they attend a professionally-ran safety course. It's not the law, but it's not exactly a bad idea either. I don't preach, I just suggest.

Firearms are serious business. Sometimes, family members go easier on each other than they should when it comes to new shooters and firearms safety. Example: noobie wife breaks the 180 degree range plane with the muzzle. Lifelong shooting husband jumps her S*$#, sleeps on couch for a few days. All the new shooter got out of the experience is her spouse in a jerk and firearms aren't fun.

But the paid instructor jumps her you-know-what, she gets the message about the plane, and it's committed to memory. She figures the instructor was just doing his job.

My dad, an all-steel .45 man, who thinks "A .45" can only mean a Colt Govt Model, used to give me a hard time about the Fantastic Plastic. He found a good deal on a Glock, bought it, and in 2 years has shot more rounds through it than any handgun he's ever owned. He's had problematic 1911's here and there, and I'm talking primo 1500.00 and up models that just didn't work. And here's this futuristic 500.00 polymer framed gun firing 100% with Wally White Box and reloads...

After he saw me disassemble a Glock in 2-3 minutes with only a punch, he thought that was so cool that he went through the Armorer's course. From doubter to devotee.

So we have something in common when it comes to fathers, sons, and Glocks. I'm going to try to get him to attend a regional GSSF event with me.

It's cool; like golf, a man 25 years your senior can still give you a run for your money at IDPA, GSSF, Steel Plates, etc.

glock1769
02-04-2013, 12:59
Good stories...nice to hear other talking about good memories with this ! I'll probably get in trouble for being a little off topic here...but, if anyone has any good suggestions on a solid .22 semi-auto that we can also use for "plinking"...please let me know. When the weather gets nicer I can see spending some good time outside...but the price of 9mm or other ammo would break me if we shoot as much as I'd like. Thanks all !

MPJC
02-04-2013, 15:07
My son and I used to do a lot of shooting but with being forced to sell guns and the inability to get out anymore cost wise I feel terrible that we haven't gone in over a year. Much of my family disapproves of his being out with me at the range which really makes it worse.