Galco Shoulder Holster Issues [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Galco Shoulder Holster Issues

wuvmyglock
01-31-2013, 10:39
I have tried carrying my Glock 21 in a Galco Jackass rig. It is very comfortable when standing, but while driving the holster rides up high on my neck (extremely uncomfortable) and the Glock might as well be put behind my back. I have tie downs on both sides and carry 2 spare mags to balance the rig. Is the riding up common? Or am I missing something.. :dunno:

Bill Lumberg
01-31-2013, 10:59
You haven't adjusted it properly. And tie downs are unecessary on a properly tuned shoulder rig unless you are using the rig to keep your pants up. The flexalon plate should be in between your shoulder blades, or just below, with the weapon and mag carrier under the armpits. You have too much slack in the bottom two straps and too little in the top two. The gun and mag carrier are going to follow gravity and find the lowest point. If you haven't tuned the rig properly, that can cause the flexalon plate to walk up to your neck or down to your middle back. Besides this, the most common mistake new shoulder holster users make is to adjust the rig so that the gun and carrier are closer to their belt than their armpit. This contributes to sway, and to the misconception that these rigs regularly need tie downs to perform optimally. A properly tuned shoulder rig has the weapon and carrier sitting far closer to the armpit than the belt. Good luck. I have tried carrying my Glock 21 in a Galco Jackass rig. It is very comfortable when standing, but while driving the holster rides up high on my neck (extremely uncomfortable) and the Glock might as well be put behind my back. I have tie downs on both sides and carry 2 spare mags to balance the rig. Is the riding up common? Or am I missing something.. :dunno:

Rio Vista Slim
02-01-2013, 09:38
^
^
^
This!

yellowhand
02-01-2013, 09:51
I'm 6'2; and 240 and my Jackass rig looks like it would fit my 112 pound wife!
Got five holes through the buckle and up the other side.
As noted, needs to ride very high in armpit and I prefer a slightly forward slant so when I sit, it relaxes back directly under the arms and does not print.

Agonizer
02-01-2013, 10:12
I have a Jack-ass rig and find it to be very comfortable with my G26. The G26, G19, G17 all fit, but with the G17 it gets a little uncomfortable on the top of my shoulders because of the weight. I have it adjusted close to the armpits with no tie downs. I am 6'2' and 230 pounds, FWIW.

Bren
02-01-2013, 10:39
I have tried carrying my Glock 21 in a Galco Jackass rig. It is very comfortable when standing, but while driving the holster rides up high on my neck (extremely uncomfortable) and the Glock might as well be put behind my back. I have tie downs on both sides and carry 2 spare mags to balance the rig. Is the riding up common? Or am I missing something.. :dunno:

I don't use any tie downs and mine doesn't ride up - maybe you are adjusting it wrong or maybe when you sit and it gets pushed up, the use of the completely unnecessary tie downs is causing it to stay that way.

I have 3 miami/jackass style holsters and they all work great - 2 Miami Classics and 1 Miami Classic holster on a Tandy leather harness.

SCmasterblaster
02-01-2013, 11:40
I have a Jack-ass rig and find it to be very comfortable with my G26. The G26, G19, G17 all fit, but with the G17 it gets a little uncomfortable on the top of my shoulders because of the weight. I have it adjusted close to the armpits with no tie downs. I am 6'2' and 230 pounds, FWIW.

I wonder how they came up with the name of this holster brand?

Bill Lumberg
02-01-2013, 11:57
Galco is the brand. Were you referring to this particular model holster? If so, it was because that was the name of the company that made it, before it became Galco Leather.

RGbiker
02-01-2013, 12:56
Above info taken into consider and I suggest OP have someone experienced in shoulder holster fitting do the adjustments.

wuvmyglock
02-01-2013, 18:38
Thanks for the input.. Guess my fittin needs a fixin, which I thought was the case.... Back to the drawing board.. LOL Eventually I'll get it right...

The Fed
02-01-2013, 18:47
Tighten up the straps so the gun it rides higher and closer to your armpit. It's normal I think for the holster to tend to move towards your back. My nylon one does. I don't use the belt clip.

Gary1911A1
02-01-2013, 18:57
You haven't adjusted it properly. And tie downs are unecessary on a properly tuned shoulder rig unless you are using the rig to keep your pants up. The flexalon plate should be in between your shoulder blades, or just below, with the weapon and mag carrier under the armpits. You have too much slack in the bottom two straps and too little in the top two. The gun and mag carrier are going to follow gravity and find the lowest point. If you haven't tuned the rig properly, that can cause the flexalon plate to walk up to your neck or down to your middle back. Besides this, the most common mistake new shoulder holster users make is to adjust the rig so that the gun and carrier are closer to their belt than their armpit. This contributes to sway, and to the misconception that these rigs regularly need tie downs to perform optimally. A properly tuned shoulder rig has the weapon and carrier sitting far closer to the armpit than the belt. Good luck.

Excellent post Sir!

Scott30
02-01-2013, 19:02
Both of my Miami Classic 2 rigs are set where the holster and ammo carrier are about 3-4 inches below my armpit. That is where I can comfortably reach the grip without turning my shoulders. Adjust the straps to give a level carry and put in the screws at the appropriate hole combination.

After wearing it around the house for a few days, I adjusted the front strap up 1 hole to get a slight upward slant. 1 hole movement will change the position by about 3/4 inch in carry position. Careful not to adjust to much slant upward as this will cause the butt of the grip to print.

OneSharpShooter
02-01-2013, 23:50
You haven't adjusted it properly. And tie downs are unecessary on a properly tuned shoulder rig unless you are using the rig to keep your pants up. The flexalon plate should be in between your shoulder blades, or just below, with the weapon and mag carrier under the armpits. You have too much slack in the bottom two straps and too little in the top two. The gun and mag carrier are going to follow gravity and find the lowest point. If you haven't tuned the rig properly, that can cause the flexalon plate to walk up to your neck or down to your middle back. Besides this, the most common mistake new shoulder holster users make is to adjust the rig so that the gun and carrier are closer to their belt than their armpit. This contributes to sway, and to the misconception that these rigs regularly need tie downs to perform optimally. A properly tuned shoulder rig has the weapon and carrier sitting far closer to the armpit than the belt. Good luck.

I just received shipment of my Miami Classic two days ago and thought I had it adjusted correctly, but I'm just not totally satisfied. I have it too low, and it swings and sways while hanging just above my belt. Having read this post, It makes sense, and I will adjust up to just below my armpit. Thanks so much for this post.

countrygun
02-02-2013, 01:04
IME shoulder holsters have been a pain. They require precise fitting and in my case a slight change in weight or change in proportion (IE: either working out, or not working out depending...) and they had to be re adjusted. when they fit I really like them but it would be best to have a little help, unless you have a full-length mirror and your neck is double-jointed.

Scott30
02-02-2013, 10:08
Here are some instructions that might be helpful.

http://ccwsupply.biz/CCWInfoFittingYourShoulderHolster.pdf